The Next Captain

Commandant

I would love to see Markov accept. But, he just seems to have no time at all for idiotic media questioning and cant blame him, but it is part of job/role description (even though some leaders, like Datzyuk, Toews, Sedin seem to duck em quite well).

It's not gonna be Subban. Face reality. The Habs (somewhat regrettably) clearly share a belief in the dominant narrative that PK needs to have his "rough edges" smoothed and his ego kept in check. Because, you know, we wouldn't want a player to demonstrate any unnecessary flair, laws no.

Assuming Markov still doesn't want the job, I still say it'll go to Pleks.

Counterpoint: 25 year old Saku Koivu was given the captaincy. He shouldered it very well.

He should have retired in Montreal. I still can't forgive Gauthier for letting him walk when he wanted to come back, for the league minimum salary.

2 things I don't get about this post. Number 1 it was Gainey who told Koivu we no longer needed him, mostly due to the Koivu /Kovalev problem. And where the heck did the rumour that Koivu would play for league minimum come from and how did it get to be fact? Since he was never offered a contract, it kinda sez to me there were no negotiations.

I'm still saying if it goes to team vote we will see Prust as captain.

That said, Bergevin's comments make me think we will just see no captain.

if prust had played 75+ games for each of his seasons in mtl, i'd say hell yes to his captaincy! but that damned shoulder keeps him on the sidelines so often

I would love to see Markov accept. But, he just seems to have no time at all for idiotic media questioning and cant blame him, but it is part of job/role description (even though some leaders, like Datzyuk, Toews, Sedin seem to duck em quite well).

I think he will accept, he knows he is a hab for life. He has been getting better with the media, and let's face it most of them read what Bob sez and go with that. Markov is the most respected guy in the room, he can lead and will. He has given Subban a couple of talking too's to get his act together. I see him as Captain.

Max puts enough pressure on himself. He's still figuring it all out.

Considering that Pleks is Mr. Consistent, Mr. Healthy, Mr. Versatile, Mr. Responsible, and Mr. Experienced, I'm just not sure I understand why people are so averse to the obvious.

• Upvote 1

I think you need to offer it to Markov. He is respected by the rest of the league and officials and players. If he says no, than Plek is the obvious choice.

That's the other side of the coin. Many of the new captains in the league are franchise players/stars, but the old school way is to give the C to the player who knows the most about hockey. That's the mold that Gio fit. He was damaged goods his last two years and he still made an impact on both sides of the ice. If knowledge and experience are the values, and knowing MB/MT they are, Markov and Plek are the guys.

But imo, after two or three years, the dough, the seniority and the dynanism of Subban is going to be too much to ignore.

After the soccer head-snap dive against the rangers, that is not the guy I want as my captain.

IMO, it has to be either Markov or Subban. For the latter, the decision needs to be the players - I don't see MT supporting it.

Max puts enough pressure on himself. He's still figuring it all out.

Considering that Pleks is Mr. Consistent, Mr. Healthy, Mr. Versatile, Mr. Responsible, and Mr. Experienced, I'm just not sure I understand why people are so averse to the obvious.

After the soccer head-snap dive against the rangers, that is not the guy I want as my captain.

IMO, it has to be either Markov or Subban. For the latter, the decision needs to be the players - I don't see MT supporting it.

Not only the soccer head snap but it's hard to command respect in the locker room when you are wearing a turtleneck.

The head snap was pathetic - but Pleks isn't the first and won't be the last player to try to draw a penalty for his team. Think of him as an 'irritant' captain along the lines of Carbo or Chelios or (for FLA) Skrudland. I don't think that play, or even a bad series (which he had) should override his overall body of work.

The head snap is a tough one for me. I first thought that doing that is always an attempt to draw a penalty. And it quite often is, but in my day to day life, if something solid comes flying at my face, I snap my head back or down or something to avoid impact. I don't just take it cuz I'm a man. The Ranger game was definitely imbellishment, but the whole head snap thing gets me thinking about a person's natural reaction to avoid getting hit in the face.

Got no problem with turtlenecks - like them myself, but do you really want a captain arguing with a ref that won't have much credibility?

turtlenecks and head snaps..really?! haha..give him the ''c''

The one against the rangers was as bad as any I've seen in soccer.

The head snap is a tough one for me. I first thought that doing that is always an attempt to draw a penalty. And it quite often is, but in my day to day life, if something solid comes flying at my face, I snap my head back or down or something to avoid impact. I don't just take it cuz I'm a man. The Ranger game was definitely imbellishment, but the whole head snap thing gets me thinking about a person's natural reaction to avoid getting hit in the face.

I've got no issue with trying to draw a penalty - just don't be so blatantly obvious and bad about it!!

The head snap was pathetic - but Pleks isn't the first and won't be the last player to try to draw a penalty for his team. Think of him as an 'irritant' captain along the lines of Carbo or Chelios or (for FLA) Skrudland. I don't think that play, or even a bad series (which he had) should override his overall body of work.

The head snap was bad... no argument there. But I can't think of a single player that hasn't embellished at some point. To say he isn't captain material because of it.... like that play makes him seen as Matt Cooke-ian somehow... seems silly to me. Pleks will get respect from the officials and would be a great captain IMO.

Pleks is hated by the opposition and universally respected as far as I can see. Except, I guess, by a significant chunk of Has fans who wish he were Ryan Getzlaf. :huh:

Andrei Kostitsyn should have been Ryan Getzlaf. Or Jeff Carter. Or at least Dustin Brown.

Plekanec was a great pick in the third round. Flyers got luckier later with Patrick Sharp but you can't complain having Pleks. We almost had a busting Jozef Balej instead. Glen Sather had a choice between Balej and Plekanec when we traded for Kovalev and he picked Balej.