Subban files for arbitration

hab29RETIRED

good article Brian. 8 million 8 years sounds good Actually I don't care hom whatever you have to get his name on an 8 year deal and lets play hockey.

I don't think he'd take 8 x 8. My $8 million figure was a guess as to where he'd settle pre-arbitration on a one year pact if they don't get something done. A long-term deal will cost more than that.

Just read the article, well done!

I agree that Subban wants to stay in MTL, and if it's the term that Bergevin is worried about, what about a NTC for the first 5 years maybe? 8 per for 8 years, does sound about fair, considering teams have to compensate for those extra years? I think it gets done before arbitration hearing.....

I don't think he'd take 8 x 8. My $8 million figure was a guess as to where he'd settle pre-arbitration on a one year pact if they don't get something done. A long-term deal will cost more than that.

I realize that you weren't saying 8 for 8 Brian, that was me saying that. As I say just do whatever it takes to get him signed and let's get over this.

Just read the article, well done!

I agree that Subban wants to stay in MTL, and if it's the term that Bergevin is worried about, what about a NTC for the first 5 years maybe? 8 per for 8 years, does sound about fair, considering teams have to compensate for those extra years? I think it gets done before arbitration hearing.....

There won't be an NTC in there until Subban turns 27 as RFA-aged players can't have those restrictions. As for an 8 year deal, it'll be closer to 9 than 8. Theoretically the first two years should be cheaper but given the market right now, they're still probably going to be in the high 7/low 8 range. When you start tacking on more expensive UFA years, the AAV will shoot up quickly.

Not as fussy on $/year, as I would just like to avoid the 8 year deal, even 7 x 8.5m seems 'better'?

So when do the parties kinda show their cards and make a bid, Tues or Wed?

So when do the parties kinda show their cards and make a bid, Tues or Wed?

Wednesday at 9 AM EST is when the Habs/Subban will submit their arbitration briefs, including the salary request for one year.

Remember when we could have had him for the next three or four years at 5.5? That blunder has only ballooned. He'd get 9-10 on the end of that deal anyways.

Hahahaha.

Seems like the Bergevin contract streak ended with Subban. He got Eller, Max Pac etc on cheap deals. Then he signed Briere for four million, Emelin for four million and Eller for 4.75 at the end of his deal. We seem to be negotiating against ourselves. I would like to see MB get more out of shortchanging/trading Subban, Gionta, Gorges, Cole than a few extra years of Eller and the Brieres and Sekacs.

I don't enough about contracts, But, I hear Subban was quoted for 100th time, 'I want to just be a Hab and retire a Hab"

Obviously hinting he would prefer max length/8 years, but as a RFA what kind of break in cost should that be? Instead of $10 or so Toews/some UFAs got, would 9m be max Habs would need to pay him for 8 years?

I don't enough about contracts, But, I hear Subban was quoted for 100th time, 'I want to just be a Hab and retire a Hab"

Obviously hinting he would prefer max length/8 years, but as a RFA what kind of break in cost should that be? Instead of $10 or so Toews/some UFAs got, would 9m be max Habs would need to pay him for 8 years?

I think 8-9 on an 8 year deal. cap hit 8.5 but who knows it is a crazy world out there.

8-9? Doesn't really matter does it? It's Molson's money, just pay the man, so he plays for Habs for max years!

Remember when we could have had him for the next three or four years at 5.5? That blunder has only ballooned. He'd get 9-10 on the end of that deal anyways.

You seem to forget that when we got Subban to sign the bridge deal it was because the Habs needed to keep his salary low so we could fit everyone under the cap that year!

A two year, two way $950K contract is now being exaggerated as a big deal.

I don't understand what your problem is with a low risk, high reward signing.

I think LM has a real problem with Bergevin. Can't see it myself but whatever. LM you really should go read Brian's assessment of the bridge deal versus long term signing at the time. It may change your mind.

Uhh no. We were cheap with Subban so we could waste money on bringing in Armstrong, Bouillon and giving extensions for Moen. In yr 2 we used up the additional cap space from the Subban savings on Briere.

Subban should have been signed pre-lockout for 10 to 12 years.

You seem to forget that when we got Subban to sign the bridge deal it was because the Habs needed to keep his salary low so we could fit everyone under the cap that year!

PK earns every cent that he is paid. The guy gives his heart and soul to the Habs every night.

Pay the man what he is worth and stop messing around here.

Make sure that PK spends his entire NHL career in Montreal.

Get the signing done....hassle free.

Uhh no. We were cheap with Subban so we could waste money on bringing in Armstrong, Bouillon and giving extensions for Moen. In yr 2 we used up the additional cap space from the Subban savings on Briere.

Subban should have been signed pre-lockout for 10 to 12 years.

I originally agreed to the bridge and then I saw what they spent with it. It was Bergevin freaking about the lowered cap and then doing nothing special with the savings. I would have taken what Karlsson got. That would have been the right deal for Subban.

I originally agreed to the bridge and then I saw what they spent with it. It was Bergevin freaking about the lowered cap and then doing nothing special with the savings. I would have taken what Karlsson got. That would have been the right deal for Subban.

Hind sight is so clear and beautiful.

• Upvote 1

I don't have a problem with Bergevin, but he seems to "Daddy" his role players, maybe a Freudian issue dating back to his playing career, where he signs depth players at top dollar when he plays hard ball with Subban and pinches pennies elsewhere.

The issue I bring up of him "negotiating against himself" is a valid one. What rush was there to sign Bouillon, Desharnais, Emelin, Moen and Eller? With the exception of Bouillon, all of those guys got cherry deals at term. Travis Moen doesn't even appear to be in the team's plans anymore. The same situation could happen to Eller, Desharnais and Emelin in two to three years. Unless you're a top-6 or top-3 defensemen, there is a big chance that a long term deal will lead to being lapped on the depth chart. At some point, maybe next year, all of this fringe competition is going to create a problem in the locker room.

Yet for the second time in a row, the Subban deal will go down to wire. Am I being fooled? Was there a reason to sign Jiri Sekac to a deal when we had 14! NHL forwards under contract?

The issue I bring up of him "negotiating against himself" is a valid one. What rush was there to sign Bouillon, Desharnais, Emelin, Moen and Eller? With the exception of Bouillon, all of those guys got cherry deals at term. Travis Moen doesn't even appear to be in the team's plans anymore. The same situation could happen to Eller, Desharnais and Emelin in two to three years. Unless you're a top-6 or top-3 defensemen, there is a big chance that a long term deal will lead to being lapped on the depth chart. At some point, maybe next year, all of this fringe competition is going to create a problem in the locker room.

Yet for the second time in a row, the Subban deal will go down to wire. Am I being fooled? Was there a reason to sign Jiri Sekac to a deal when we had 14! NHL forwards under contract?

There was a bit of a rush for Eller since he was headed for arbitration give or take 18 hours from the time the contract was signed.

As for Sekac, he's a prospect. Was there a reason to sign him? He's a prospect...and he was free to acquire. They had the contract room to get him so why not? Considering that the Habs had all of two selections in the top-120 in the draft last month, getting him helps make up for a shallow draft class.

I really hope this does not come back to bite MB in the ass. I completely understood the negotiations during the last contract. At that time PK wasn't the same player he is now. We all saw the potential but I think the bridge was the right move. However, MB got his way and now it's time to pay up. In retrospect we can all now see that it would have been smart to give PK 5 mill back then, now it's 8-9.5. It is what it is. Pay him, so we can move on.

I noticed Nonis just gave Gardiner 20 mil over 5 years. We'll see how that works out, kind of a similiar situation. Could be be ingenius or could be...........typical maple leaf move.