Feb. 8, Habs vs Bruins, 7:30 PM

dlbalr

If you think Eller having a hot streak in the playoffs was his real value I have Fernando Pisani to trade you.

No its the only thing he has done thats impressed me is all.

I'm all about play offs when judging a players true value. Thats why i am not a big fan of Pleks or DD.

I will over look larrys season playing third line minutes with prust and the likes if he has another great play off. Big if i know.

Just like lots of guys over look the southern dive Pleks and DD's game takes every April.

"YOU ARE ONLY AS GOOD AS YOUR PAST PLAY OFF GAME" Paul Coffee

Guest Stogey24

No its the only thing he has done thats impressed me is all.

I'm all about play offs when judging a players true value. Thats why i am not a big fan of Pleks or DD.

I will over look larrys season playing third line minutes with prust and the likes if he has another great play off. Big if i know.

Just like lots of guys over look the southern dive Pleks and DD's game takes every April.

"YOU ARE ONLY AS GOOD AS YOUR PAST PLAY OFF GAME" Paul Coffee

It is 100% a different game when play offs hit. It's a crash and bang style, lay everything on the line. Only certain players can acclimate and rise to the occasion.

It is 100% a different game when play offs hit. It's a crash a bang style, lay everything on the line. Only certain players can acclimate and rise to the occasion.

For sure. Play offs expose the weak parts of a team and/or a players game. Ryan Walter put it in context "play off hockey is a different animal. You have to play INSIDE, Some players wont, some simply cant. Every inch of real estate you have to earn. One on one battles every night against the same players in a series. Gone are the opposing teams call ups, no back up goalies, gone are the games where your team was rested and the other team played the night before. No padding your stats. No picking your spots. No time for a three or four game slump. No longer does anyone care that you got your 50 points in 82 games. Crash bang, lay it on the line, everyone gives 110 percent including the opposition. Its a harder game to play, impossible for the soft guys playing on the outside to be very effective.

Eller is the dictionary definition - practically the Platonic Form - of mediocrity. He is a guy who can eat a decent amount of minutes without hurting you too much; and that's about all he is. His offensive game is nonexistent except for two weeks a year, and his defensive game, while OK, is - contrary to the religious belief of his dwindling army of defenders - nothing special. He does tally up some hits, but his physicality is just like the rest of his game, i.e., without any real impact. The only hope left for him to become anything other than an utterly forgettable player who plays for us for a few years and departs, unmissed, is that he might be one of those nonentities who somehow manages to find another gear reliably in the playoffs. (It's too soon to say that for sure, but there's no denying he was a monster for us last playoff, and a huge part of the reason why we did as well as we did, given the importance of scoring depth to this team).

Cuke goes all Plato on our asses!

• Upvote 1

I don't know what the problem is with Wiese that some people see. He hits, checks, skates like the wind, goes to the net. can score if given the opportunity. I just don't know what people want from him. He opens space for Patches and DD, you can't have all 40 goal scorers on the first line. Someone has to do the dirty work, and he seems pretty good at it. We do need another scoring winger (sniper) but Wiese gives us a lot of flexibility. I really think MB scored big time getting him and dumping that slug defenceman who can remain nameless.

In a perfect world the habs would have a 35 goal talented firs tline winger to play where weiss is. But they dont. So yes, i think with the NINE fowards that habs are sold on (fourth line are all guys who have not made the team) of the nine they have Weiss is the best guy to play the other wing with pax. Good coice by MT. (even a broken clock is right twice a day) Idealy Chucky would be the center while progressing to become even better at center. But MT is having none of that.

Weiss is MBs' best aquisition so far.

Wiese makes 1 mill per year, PAP makes 4 mill. Hmmmm I like Wiese.

i would take weiss over paps if they both made a million.

"Price is now tied for fourth on the Canadiens' all-time wins list with Bill Durnan with 208 victories."

Hmm is that not a crazy stat? It seems like he still has a lot left in him. I guess we can start naming hockey arenas around the Montreal area after Price already.

http://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/teams/montreal-canadiens-goalies-career-nhl-stats.html

Dryden was a beast. I think it's crazy how many of our goalies have been Canadian born throughout our history. 44 Canadian goalies, 2 Slovaks, 2 Americans, 1 Swiss and 1 French goalie out of goalies who have played more than 5 games. Even on the second page, 20 of the next 25 were Canadian. This also includes all the backups we've had.

yes he was a beast. 8 seasons 6 cups. ha!

If one is only as good as their last playoff game, why did we give up Rene Bourque so quickly? Surely his value was impossible to replace after such a great playoff showing.

Oh wait, that's right. Reasonable, smart hockey fans understand the difference between a player's average and a hot streak.

• Upvote 1

If one is only as good as their last playoff game, why did we give up Rene Bourque so quickly? Surely his value was impossible to replace after such a great playoff showing.

Oh wait, that's right. Reasonable, smart hockey fans understand the difference between a player's average and a hot streak.

I don't draw any conclusions from Eller's great playoff, other than the possibility that he might be a guy who raises his game in the dance. One good playoff doesn't prove that. What we do know fairly decisively is that he is utterly mediocre for 99% of any given regular season.

But some players really are clutch. Look at Cammalleri: led the league in playoff scoring for two consecutive playoffs, and is among the league leaders in GWG year after year. If Eller turns out to be clutch in this way (albeit less spectacularly), that'd certainly incline me more positively toward him. But the jury is out on that front; let's see what he does this year.

That's an anachronistic way of thinking and ignores the facts that everyone on a SCF team has a great playoff track record. But not for nothing, if some half-wit GM thinks Eller has inflated value because he was on Rene Bourque's line last year, deal him for a real player.

I don't draw any conclusions from Eller's great playoff, other than the possibility that he might be a guy who raises his game in the dance. One good playoff doesn't prove that. What we do know fairly decisively is that he is utterly mediocre for 99% of any given regular season.

But some players really are clutch. Look at Cammalleri: led the league in playoff scoring for two consecutive playoffs, and is among the league leaders in GWG year after year. If Eller turns out to be clutch in this way (albeit less spectacularly), that'd certainly incline me more positively toward him. But the jury is out on that front; let's see what he does this year.

I too believe in clutch but I think hot streaks/cold streaks should always be considered before a player is labelled either way.

C'mon...last years playoff stats:

Eller- 5/8/13

Plekanec- 4/5/9

Eller had a very high shooting percentage of 21.7% in the playoffs. Only Toews, Jokinen and Handzus had a better shooting percentage for players that played over 10 games in the post-season last year.

Eller and Bourque were excellent for us last post-season but it wasn't because of anything other than a hot streak. It's also because Eller is sheltered at home and on the third line at home, he plays way easier competition than Plekanec and Desharnais. I've made the argument before that Eller is sheltered and in the past two seasons, he relies on scoring at home. Only five of his 16 points this year come from the road. Plekanec this season has the same amount of road points that Eller has for his total points. In the playoffs last year three of Eller's four road points came in the first two games of the post season. After that? Only one road point in seven road playoff games. Why? Because when Therrien can't choose the line change, Eller goes cold.

Guest Stogey24

I too believe in clutch but I think hot streaks/cold streaks should always be considered before a player is labelled either way.

Eller had a very high shooting percentage of 21.7% in the playoffs. Only Toews, Jokinen and Handzus had a better shooting percentage for players that played over 10 games in the post-season last year.

Eller and Bourque were excellent for us last post-season but it wasn't because of anything other than a hot streak. It's also because Eller is sheltered at home and on the third line at home, he plays way easier competition than Plekanec and Desharnais. I've made the argument before that Eller is sheltered and in the past two seasons, he relies on scoring at home. Only five of his 16 points this year come from the road. Plekanec this season has the same amount of road points that Eller has for his total points. In the playoffs last year three of Eller's four road points came in the first two games of the post season. After that? Only one road point in seven road playoff games. Why? Because when Therrien can't choose the line change, Eller goes cold.

That's reaching man

Guest Stogey24

On which part? Eller had a hot streak or Eller is sheltered at home by Therrien?

Your saying the only reason Eller was successful is because of Therrien. Give the kid some credit

That's kinda one of my beefs with Eller. Despite getting steady ice time, he never faces other teams' top checkers, nor have his defensive duties generally included stopping the other teams' top lines (a job which goes to Pleks in the pinch). He's responded to this rather cushy usage with minimal offensive production and middling-calibre defence. Again...mediocrity, thy name is Eller.

That's kinda one of my beefs with Eller. Despite getting steady ice time, he never faces other teams' top checkers, nor have his defensive duties generally included stopping the other teams' top lines (a job which goes to Pleks in the pinch). He's responded to this rather cushy usage with minimal offensive production and middling-calibre defence. Again...mediocrity, thy name is Eller.

therrien does not match lines on the road. so throw that theory right out the window for half the games.

would you call that good coaching.

never use him on the pp.

never use him on a set line.

never give him the prime ice time.

never let him play with pacs.

then rip him for not producing or progressing.

yet on the best play off run the habs have had in years he was their best forward.

would you call that good coaching.

never use him on the pp.

never use him on a set line.

never give him the prime ice time.

never let him play with pacs.

then rip him for not producing or progressing.

yet on the best play off run the habs have had in years he was their best forward.

I definitely would call that good coaching. DD was dropped from Pacs line, and when playing the unfamiliar wing, performed well and put up points. If Eller can't get any points or stand out defensively against 3rd liners, why would you put him up against harder competition? He doesn't seem to handle the competition he has now. On the PP he has no creativity. Usually loses the puck.

more goals for Eller more assist for Eller

plekanic a minus 7

Eller a plus 6

btw pleks has never had a play off where he was a plus.

Speaking of minuses, check out your reputation points. These are never set, maybe one or two a thread get a plus or minues, and you've managed to rack up a -48, a "Briesboisian" score. Nice job, great to have you back from vacation.

therrien does not match lines on the road. so throw that theory right out the window for half the games.

That's because the visiting coach puts his lines out first on a faceoff. Did you know that? Kind of throws your whole point out the window.

It doesn't invalidate the theory, it even reinforces it.

At home, Eller is not sent against top line. It's Plekanec.

Away, Eller is not matched by opposing coaches by top checker. That's Pax line. And Eller never plays with Pacioretty.

I definitely would call that good coaching. DD was dropped from Pacs line, and when playing the unfamiliar wing, performed well and put up points. If Eller can't get any points or stand out defensively against 3rd liners, why would you put him up against harder competition? He doesn't seem to handle the competition he has now. On the PP he has no creativity. Usually loses the puck.

Yeah, that's about it for me right there.... analyzed the Sh!t outta that right quick! :halm: