Ottawa vs Montreal 7p.m. April 15

DON

Two things:

(1) No way was that "calculated."

(2) Irrelevant to this directly, but why are these idiots still wearing those short gloves? The wrist should NOT be unprotected.

Based on what exactly?

And point two is, as you noted, irrelevent.

Let's not blow this up into something that it is not.

This isn't the Simon/Clarke/Tkackuk slash. PK over-revs in the big games. I can't see him deliberately trying to injure Stone ten seconds into a powerplay. Especially after the Habs get two in fifteen seconds and take full control of the game after a bad period, and a bad two years against the Sens, to be truthful. This play looks pretty innocuous in real time. Five minutes and a game in a playoff game is severe. The league needs to focus on all the obstruction that's holding the game back, not overpenalize plays like this that happen in every game.

The threatening stuff, imo, is just an embarrassment for Ottawa. The stuff about the "Embellishment City" type videos are made. Bryan Murray should shut his pie hole. How many more gaffes are they going to make? It's been 12 hours!

Stone has a "microfracture." He will play.

The only thing that's been fractured is the Sens playoff dream.

HIYOOOOOO

Innocuous? R u f'in kidding? If was Pacioretty had been slashed like that, would be a mob around Sens hotel right now!

Eller's butt end was an accident while he attempted to escape the holding/roughing going on in front of him.

Oh, for the record, an alternate name for a "microfracture" is a bone contusion, in this case a bruise of either his radius or ulna. Yes, that can be painful. If Stone sits out a game for that, I'll be surprised.

What in the world was not "calculated" about the slash? Subban raised his stick and brought it down on a guy's wrist, away from the play and at his leisure. If that's not calculated, what the heck is? Or did some sort of alien tractor beam latch onto his hands and force them to make that up-down swooping motion?

The slash was obviously calculated. Come on.

Now, if you're asking whether Subban meant to break Stone's wrist, that's another question. Given his apparently sincere astonishment at Stone's reaction, I'd have to say no. And it is true that we see all sorts of slashing aimed at players' wrists during the normal course of games, and yet players hardly ever suffer broken wrists. That doesn't change the fact that this was an especially egregious, glaringly obvious and particularly pointless example. (Speaking of which, does anyone remember that vicious slash that put Richer out of the playoffs in '88? This is probably analogous to that).

I'd have no problem with an NHL policy that suspended players for slashes like that. However, there is no such policy, and given all the other crap the league lets slide, it would be absurd to suspend PK further. The Sens can feel victimized all they want by PK's action, and fair enough; but in terms of league discipline, he effectively got a two-period suspension and a 5-minute major penalty that cost his team two goals. They have no legitimate beef with the NHL, unless they want to make a comprehensive critique of the NHL's entire approach to player discipline (which I agree is grotesquely lenient, in general).

• Upvote 1

Fun (entertaining) game for sure!

Plekanec had tough faceoff game 7-25 (28%)

Bergy looking like smart GM; all 4 pick-ups played good-excellent games.

What is all the whining about officiating about, normally that is reserved for loser teams.

One buttend by Larry, one tomahawk chop by Subban; Habs had 1 penalty in 1st and zero Hab penalties in 3rd period.

Exactly why were Refs so bad...because they correctly tossed Subban? And you telling me Subban didn't know who and where he was chopping into, their #1 offensive star and likely rookie of year (or do you really believe was just a coincidence?)

(If Methot did same to Pacioretty, I would think HabFans would be a bit "excited".)

15 more W's needed.

This was my take as well. Subban took the oportunity to go after stones hands. Deserved the penalty. I'm still on the fence about the severity of his injury. The frequent trips to the room could have been theatrics. Subban tapped into his inner Pronger and was penalized. If they had done this to patch I would be savage. No suspension.

Subban whacked him with a stick. That was "calculated" in the same sense the 50 other times both teams did it last night it was calculated. Subban was not even looking, he didn't target Stone's wrist (he just randomly slashed in his direction).

Furthermore, the wrist is not "broken." It's "Bruised." That's the definition of a microfracture - a bone contusion. We don't even know if it happened on that play. It could not be detected on X-Rays, but barely showed up on an MRI. It's an extremely common injury that people play through for weeks without noticing.

Bring on the minus 1's...

I hate to say it, but this incident has been one big look in the mirror as a Habs' fan.

The embellishment, the writhing on the ice just to come back in three minutes, followed by the calls to the league for suspension and repeating what was said on the ice.

Mark Stone is one of the biggest wimps in the league. He has a bruise. This wasn't a head injury or a knee injury. He claims he's targeted? The dude's had two good months in the NHL. He could be the next Pierre Dagenais for all we know.

Subban whacked him with a stick. That was "calculated" in the same sense the 50 other times both teams did it last night it was calculated. Subban was not even looking, he didn't target Stone's wrist (he just randomly slashed in his direction).

Furthermore, the wrist is not "broken." It's "Bruised." That's the definition of a microfracture - a bone contusion. We don't even know if it happened on that play. It could not be detected on X-Rays, but barely showed up on an MRI. It's an extremely common injury that people play through for weeks without noticing.

LOL.... "he randomly slashed in his direction"

l

Bring on the minus 1's...

I hate to say it, but this incident has been one big look in the mirror as a Bruins' fan.

The embellishment, the writhing on the ice just to come back, followed by the calls to the league for suspension and repeating what was said on the ice.

Max Pacioretty is one of the biggest wimps in the league. He has a headache. This wasn't a wrist injury or a knee injury. He claims he's targeted? The dude's had two good months in the NHL. He could be the next Jed Ortmeyer for all we know.

Fixed.

LOL.... "he randomly slashed in his direction"

Yes. He slashed at Stone. He did not "target an unprotected area of Stone's body." There was no "attempt to injure." This was a defenseman giving a warning slash at a guy attempting to gain position close to his goaltender. He didn't even look at him, he just whacked him. This was no different than 50 other slashes that occurred last night, except for Stone's death-scene (to be fair, bone bruises are painful) and the subsequent five-and-a-game.

Eller's butt end was an accident while he attempted to escape the holding/roughing going on in front of him.

Oh, for the record, an alternate name for a "microfracture" is a bone contusion, in this case a bruise of either his radius or ulna. Yes, that can be painful. If Stone sits out a game for that, I'll be surprised.

Dude. Are you a doctor ? Or Marc Recchi ? If not, shut your mouth. :lol:

• Upvote 1

Dude. Are you a doctor ? Or Marc Recchi ? If not, shut your mouth. :lol:

Heh. I'm not. However, it's just a matter of definition.

http://radiopaedia.org/articles/bone-contusion

Bone contusions represent microfractures with haemorrhage

A contusion is the medical term for a "bruise."

So to be clear - it's possible for a microfracture to not have haemorrhaging (they're less serious then) and therefore not be a bone bruise.

But a bone bruise IS a microfracture complete with haemorrhaging.

So Stone either has a bone bruise, or something less serious.

Fixed.

It's true. And if we've learned anything from Ribeiro-2011, this doesn't win hockey games.

I guess they have Chris Neil practicing on the fourth line. What's he going to do? Fight Prust and play really bad hockey? Our fourth line is going to eat Hoffman-Legwand-Neil for breakfast.

OK so we got 1st blood that is good. Subban needs to make his slashing not so obvious, however thank goodness he did not get suspended. It will be interesting to see if the hens try any retaliation. Cameron will be fined if they do, possible suspended. We need to keep the pressure on Hammond, he is cracking.

This was a strange game, mostly due to the junior leauge refs they had, I don't think these guys have reffed 10 games in their lives. If they have any actual training they need to go back for some refresher courses. The guys never gave up, which is good to see, cause with Markov staking them to a 1 goal lead, they could have fallen apart, especially when the refs got involved.

Hopefully Patches is back, Eller is pissed off so he can play better, and Subban seeks revenge in the form of goals and assists. I said the new guys were going to provide secondary scoring and they did in a big way. Let's keep that going. Carey let in 3 goals, did not have a chance on any of them. what we need now is patches and new refs.

Just some thoughts.

...You forgot to mention Petry and Gilbert H-R! Wholeheartedly agree with your insight, nonetheless :thumbs_up:

Yes I did. We have to sign Petry to a deal, he is very good. I was impressed that Gilbert was in there fighting and not backing down from anyone with the shield. That jaw has to be hurting some. Guts.

I've sort of been thinking about last night's game with a different spin. Here's my take on the shinanigans of the second period. Through most of the first, the whistles were away. Gallagher was mugged, hacked, crosschecked, held and obstructed as usual. Analysts called it gamesmanship. There was a lot of tripping, obstruction, interference on both sides without a call. Other than the weak hook by DE LA Rose. Players get into their heads that it's one of those games, so they push it. Zibinjad holds up Eller and he goes too far with the butt end. Subban has it in his head that the whistles are away and takes a hack at Stone during a penalty. Thinking they will ignore it. Big mistake. Something as simple as calling the game correctly, and this probably wouldn't have happened.

Yes. He slashed at Stone. He did not "target an unprotected area of Stone's body." There was no "attempt to injure." This was a defenseman giving a warning slash at a guy attempting to gain position close to his goaltender. He didn't even look at him, he just whacked him. This was no different than 50 other slashes that occurred last night, except for Stone's death-scene (to be fair, bone bruises are painful) and the subsequent five-and-a-game.

Well i saw the Subban slash on stone. I must have blinked 50 times and missed the other fifty.

I wish Subban would have "randomly slashed in the direction" of Lucic, or Chara, or Kreider, or Niel, etc.......

good call pricey!

Thank you. You ever see a player trailing a puck carrier? They're hacking and slashing like crazy at the guy. If stone didn't fall to the ice like had his leg blown off, no one would even be talking about this. Moving on

Thanks Stogey, covered it all for me...

Thank you. You ever see a player trailing a puck carrier? They're hacking and slashing like crazy at the guy. If stone didn't fall to the ice like had his leg blown off, no one would even be talking about this. Moving on

https://youtu.be/9JY65HhvF-8?t=1m13s

^^^Mark Stone

If Stone is out for series, just would be a shame, hope he is back next game but sounds doubtful.

Sens arnt good enough to lose him and still be much of opponent (even with him they are lesser team).

If he was knocked out with clean hit, whole different story, but a Billy Smith-type slash is just cheapshot on a clean player, who hardly took a penalty his whole time in WHL & AHL (all of 14 PIMs this year).

Perfect attitude:

http://www.tsn.ca/video/subban-i-ve-been-slashed-a-lot-harder-than-that-1.258754

And he actually says exactly what it looked like to me (and I stated earlier) - he was sending a message to Stone, "Stay away from Pricey."

I do think we're letting PK off the hook too easily. Whatever we think of Stone's theatrics, that WAS a dirty play, and - worse - it was a dumb-ass dirty play, out in the middle of the zone where everyone could see it, not in the heat of the action, and just egregious. PK put himself in a situation to take an utterly unnecessary penalty, and put the team in grave danger. Unacceptable from your franchise position player. And I hope Therrien ripped him a new one afterward.

Its so nice having you around. I just read your stuff and say,, ya.. that's what I think .. only better expressed by you. PK was an ehhole, that's a Canadian version I just made up.. feel free. :bonk: