What will it take to make Habs a better club?

DON

CC- i take exception to the statement that DD is a good regular season player--- he would be good in a reduced role but not the way he is being played

Whatever. We'll agree to disagree. I find him a perfectly serviceable regular-season 2nd-line C, and his numbers would seem to support that. It's a moot point anyway, because he is not able to produce in the playoffs and that's what makes it necessary to replace him.

He's Brendan Morrison. The regular season is why he's paid $3.5M.

People have tossed around the idea of Mikko Koivu coming here but even with guys like Vanek, Pominville and Parise to play with, Mikko Koivu had the same amount of points (48) as Desharnais. His +/- was +20 less than Desharnais as well. Paul Stastny, Craig Smith, Eric Staal, Ryan Kesler, etc. all scored around the same with games give or take.

You can grumble about his use but the fact remains he's still a Top 40 scoring center in the league. That's at the very least "good" for the regular season.

And much like Brendan Morrison on the Canucks, being a good regular season player isn't enough.

You do realize, de la Rose, Flynn, Gallagher, Prust, PAP, Pacioretty all took faceoff (s) in playoffs and #27 took ZERO.

And with much criticized line combinations by Therrien, you think was accident Galchenyuk was kept away from faceoff dot?

Bit telling when every forward gets a crack at faceoffs but one or two.

Even Subban and Markov likely ahead of Galchenyuk if need a faceoff won.

He's Brendan Morrison. The regular season is why he's paid $3.5M.

People have tossed around the idea of Mikko Koivu coming here but even with guys like Vanek, Pominville and Parise to play with, Mikko Koivu had the same amount of points (48) as Desharnais. His +/- was +20 less than Desharnais as well. Paul Stastny, Craig Smith, Eric Staal, Ryan Kesler, etc. all scored around the same with games give or take.

You can grumble about his use but the fact remains he's still a Top 40 scoring center in the league. That's at the very least "good" for the regular season.

And much like Brendan Morrison on the Canucks, being a good regular season player isn't enough.

Terrific post.

You do realize, de la Rose, Flynn, Gallagher, Prust, PAP, Pacioretty all took faceoff (s) in playoffs and #27 took ZERO.

And with much criticized line combinations by Therrien, you think was accident Galchenyuk was kept away from faceoff dot?

Bit telling when every forward gets a crack at faceoffs but one or two.

Even Subban and Markov likely ahead of Galchenyuk if need a faceoff won.

Good post too.

What can I say? Tell Galy to work on strength and faceoffs this summer. If we can't upgrade on DD, try Galy. If that continues to be a disaster, settle back in with DD and continue to snoop around for an upgrade if possible. Meanwhile, we could *still* add scoring by adding a Justin Williams or other quality RW this summer and by improving the power-play. You do what you can in this life.

Whatever. We'll agree to disagree. I find him a perfectly serviceable regular-season 2nd-line C, and his numbers would seem to support that. It's a moot point anyway, because he is not able to produce in the playoffs and that's what makes it necessary to replace him.

He spent most of the season with Pax and was the first wave of the powerplay most of the time. That makes him a first line center in my book. The reason he was bested by Plekanec with ice time is that he was rarely on the PK.. Serviceable second line center-- i give you that. Good-not so much!

He spent most of the season with Pax and was the first wave of the powerplay most of the time. That makes him a first line center in my book. The reason he was bested by Plekanec with ice time is that he was rarely on the PK.. Serviceable second line center-- i give you that. Good-not so much!

if memory is correct, DD was 2nd unit PP, based strictly on PP time.

Terrific post.

Good post too.

What can I say? Tell Galy to work on strength and faceoffs this summer. If we can't upgrade on DD, try Galy. If that continues to be a disaster, settle back in with DD and continue to snoop around for an upgrade if possible. Meanwhile, we could *still* add scoring by adding a Justin Williams or other quality RW this summer and by improving the power-play. You do what you can in this life.

How bout Plekanec, Vermette, Eller, DD and Rose as the 5 main centres? Rose/DD play wing if need be, until injury crop up.

How bout Plekanec, Vermette, Eller, DD and Rose as the 5 main centres? Rose/DD play wing if need be, until injury crop up.

I'm not too sure about Vermette. His numbers are mediocre - worse than DD's really. He's a classic case of a guy who is going to cash in on a massive overpay just because he's the biggest 'name' out there. Then you're stuck paying all-star money to a mediocre producer on a long-term deal. Seems like the sort of thing Zoot Suit has vowed to avoid.

I'm not too sure about Vermette. His numbers are mediocre - worse than DD's really. He's a classic case of a guy who is going to cash in on a massive overpay just because he's the biggest 'name' out there. Then you're stuck paying all-star money to a mediocre producer on a long-term deal. Seems like the sort of thing Zoot Suit has vowed to avoid.

Vermette is do not touch ever for me. I wanted Vermette as a Hab back when he was a Senator but he went to the Blue Jackets. Long, long time ago.

Would sign in a heartbeat: Radulov

Would sign for the right price: Jeff Petry, Cody Franson,

Would sign for the right term: Joel Ward, Justin Williams, Michael Frolik

Will be overpaid so don't want: Matt Beleskey, Drew Stafford, Mike Fisher, Brad Richards, Shawn Matthias

Just not good enough: Antione Vermette, Curtis Glencross, Andrei Kostitsyn, Chris Stewart, Steve Downie, etc.

Guest Stogey24

I'd give up any player on the Habs except Price, Subban and Gallagher for Ovechkin. Even Galchenyuk. Even Pacioretty.

Amen brother.

With a nice off-season training and increase in strength/confidence, sort of how Pacioretty really bulked up to become a more confident winger, maybe Galchenyuk would become a better fit at centre next season, will see come Sept/Oct. But already short of top six wingers and to remove another one will require Bergevin to add one/two and skip on Petry for sure.

Nobody besides MoLG has brought that up, if Galchenyuk moves to center, we have a big hole to fill at LW. DD has been able to produce some as a third liner, but Eller has been abysmal as a LW.

Second line Prust? MT would like that.

Pacioretty and Price for Tavares and Halak.

Two ways to look at that deal, but the result is a bad trade for the Habs IMO

Price = Tavares, Pacioretty > Halak

Price > Halak, Tavares > Pacioretty

• Upvote 1

There seems to be debate about what Galchenyuk did or did not say about his comfort level at C. If it's true that he wasn't comfortable, then that alters the equation, obviously.

You also make a good point about throwing games away. Desharnais IS a good regular-season player, and if Galy struggles and the team loses games, the temptation to revert back to Desharnais is going to be overwhelming. (And all the people on this board who talk about 'toughing it out' with Galy at C for half a season will be singing a different tune the minute the team starts losing games because of it, although of course they will blame Therrien, not Galchenyuk; nothing is ever a player's fault, unless that player is Gilbert, Desharnais, Emelin, or Plekanec). It's a balancing act.

I also disagree with the apparent belief of some that Galy at C is somehow bound to work out. It may, or may not. But IF Galy is comfortable with it, and IF there are no other coaching-related issues with him - e.g., if he's implementing what you asked him to do - then surely this is worth trying.

All of this comes with a big caveat, though. Bergy indicated considerable skepticism at his press conference that Galchenyuk does indeed have the tools to play C. I tend to agree that a player who has been so-so at W is unlikely to excel at C, myself. So, if Zoot Suit chooses to go out and acquire a C rather than experiment with Galy in that spot, I think that will be a very reasonable move based on his professional assessment of the player. I trust Bergevin's expertise at player evaluation.

Failing such an acquisition, though, we are better off at least trying Galy at C than hoping Desharnais suddenly figures out how to be effective in the playoffs. DD is now definitively proven to be just too small and slow to prevail against the heightened obstruction at playoff time, and that is the fundamental issue that all of this is meant to address.

Price will put this team in the play offs whether chucky plays center or wing............matter of fact Price will put this team in the play offs whether or not chucky plays at all.

Nobody besides MoLG has brought that up, if Galchenyuk moves to center, we have a big hole to fill at LW. DD has been able to produce some as a third liner, but Eller has been abysmal as a LW.

Second line Prust? MT would like that.

Chucky scored 2 goals in his last 30 games counting play offs. The hole he would leave on wing aint that big.

I am giving Chucky a pass on last season's results. Second full year in the league and all that . I will wait and see who he is next season. I would not trade Price period and the thought of trading him should never enter anyone's head. Best goalie, possibly best player in the world. Trading him would make Houle look not so bad as a GM.

Petry, Franson, Beauchamin, Green, Martin I assume are UFAs which might interest Bergevin on defense. Up front options maybe; St.Louis, Stafford, Frolik, Stewart, Ward, Soderberg?

Pretty thin free agent market this year.

I am giving Chucky a pass on last season's results. Second full year in the league and all that . I will wait and see who he is next season. I would not trade Price period and the thought of trading him should never enter anyone's head. Best goalie, possibly best player in the world. Trading him would make Houle look not so bad as a GM.

I give most* Habs players a pass until they get to age 24/25. That's when the leash shortens quick and "potential" no longer pays the bills. Even if they have been in the league since 18, I don't care. I had a long leash for Sekac and I have a long leash for Smith-Pelly. Both guys are only 22, but people act like DSP is 26 because of his extra years in the league. Don't care. We've watched him for 35 games. If in two years he's still limited then I'm willing to throw him off the boat.

Despite my criticisms of Lars Eller, I didn't want him moved until he turned 25. I was even for the most part fine with his contract but wasn't willing to give him extra rope just because he was on the first year of his new deal. Eller is 26. Same age as Subban and Pacioretty. We don't sell their potential anymore. We sell their results. Same goes for Eller.

Guys like Galchenyuk, De La Rose, Smith-Pelly, Beaulieu, we're talking guys 22 and younger. Tinordi and Gallagher are 23. I expect development and all are not shielded from criticism, but I'm not putting a cap on the player they are until they are in the 24/25 range.

*Exceptions are guys like the Kostitsyn's who never really grew in development while their fanboys gave them a thousand excuses and guys like Thomas and Bournival who look less like they have an extra gear in them and more like they are trying to emulate the careers of Matt D'Agostini and Steve Begin.

Guest Stogey24

Tinordi is a guy who needs a long leash. The Kid is trying to figure out what his role is as a pro. Last year was a write off. Luck wasn't on his side

Tinordi is a guy who needs a long leash. The Kid is trying to figure out what his role is as a pro. Last year was a write off. Luck wasn't on his side

If he's 25 and looks like Ryan O'Byrne, no leash. He's looked much better than O'Byrne his whole career so I doubt that'll be the case.