2015-16 NHL Season Thread

dlbalr

Guest Stogey24

So, 20 games for Wideman

Yup

Of the top 7 prospects (and thats the group that has pulled away from the pack at this point IMO)... only one, Auston Matthews, is a centre.

Pierre Luc Dubois and Michael McLeod are centres, but they are second tier and clearly behind the elite group of this draft.

Ya, I just took a look at a mock

That one's probably getting appealed. Either the Flames or NHLPA (or both) will want that to go to an arbitrator.

I guess they did not believe him when he said it was an accident. I didn't believe him either. That push off with the stick is no accident.

The Canadiens will not be giving the Molson Cup to any players for the month of January.

L-O-######ING-L

Just give it to Price.

I'm really surprised by that, actually. This organization usually plays it straight as an arrow - it's unusual to see them so bluntly acknowledging a collective disgrace.

I'm sure there have been other times when I've been this embarrassed to be a Habs fan, but right now I can't think of any

I'm really surprised by that, actually. This organization usually plays it straight as an arrow - it's unusual to see them so bluntly acknowledging a collective disgrace.

Same, especially since December was just as bad.

The Panthers are rolling over the entire league. For me, they rely too much on their top line, and Luongo is playing the best hockey of his career, but the two Florida teams are at the top of the division and Canadian teams are seven of the bottom nine, ouch.

At some point, the league has to address the economic disparity in the Canadian/US dollar and taxes. We don't have income taxes in Florida, neither does Dallas and some other states. What are the chances a UFA picks a Canadian team knowing what's going on with the dollar? And for small market teams like Winnipeg and Ottawa, they have to pay a ton more this year (four likely, with the direction oil is taking) compared to their relative revenue than US teams. Add in the NTC/NMCs and it weighs very heavily on the Canadian teams.

I think the league should do away with no trade clauses for starters.

The Panthers are rolling over the entire league. For me, they rely too much on their top line, and Luongo is playing the best hockey of his career, but the two Florida teams are at the top of the division and Canadian teams are seven of the bottom nine, ouch.

At some point, the league has to address the economic disparity in the Canadian/US dollar and taxes. We don't have income taxes in Florida, neither does Dallas and some other states. What are the chances a UFA picks a Canadian team knowing what's going on with the dollar? And for small market teams like Winnipeg and Ottawa, they have to pay a ton more this year (four likely, with the direction oil is taking) compared to their relative revenue than US teams. Add in the NTC/NMCs and it weighs very heavily on the Canadian teams.

I think the league should do away with no trade clauses for starters.

Players get paid in U.S. dollars, so I don't see why they care if the Loonie sucks.

Plenty of UFAs have signed with Canadian teams - including the Habs - irrespective of taxes.

Finally, I don't think the NHL can change its rules ever time the dollar drops. We have floating currencies, so best to just ride it out.

But perhaps I'm underestimating the 'problem'...

Players get paid in U.S. dollars, so I don't see why they care if the Loonie sucks.

Plenty of UFAs have signed with Canadian teams - including the Habs - irrespective of taxes.

Finally, I don't think the NHL can change its rules ever time the dollar drops. We have floating currencies, so best to just ride it out.

But perhaps I'm underestimating the 'problem'...

On your first point, The lower the canadian dollar goes is actually better for a player paid in US funds. Its not a detriment, its an advantage.

That said the dollar has started to rebound recently.

The tax talk was originally a scare cooked up by the media over a few libertarian hockey players expressing their happiness playing in Florida.

Calgary and Edmonton have some of the lowest taxes in the league for players and it has maybe helped Calgary and definitely never helped Edmonton. Players in California pay some of the highest taxes (last I checked, LA was higher than Montreal) and nobody ever says they skipped on signing in California due to the tax rate.

It was maybe a priority for a few players making money on the low end and nobody else. Otherwise the Oilers wouldn't have to overpay guys like Andrew Ference to play for them.

There's inflation when the dollar goes down to match dilution. The Canadian dollar has risen and fallen in correlation to gas prices, the highest exchange rate I can recall was in 08 or 09 when gas was up to four dollars a gallon.

Oil prices are supposed to transfer three trillion back into the economy, so I can't see the Canadian dollar rebounding soon. The estimates now are four years of low crude prices.

It's going to be interesting to see what happens with the salary cap in that time period. The Rogers deal is a paper tiger at this point.

There's inflation when the dollar goes down to match dilution. The Canadian dollar has risen and fallen in correlation to gas prices, the highest exchange rate I can recall was in 08 or 09 when gas was up to four dollars a gallon.

Oil prices are supposed to transfer three trillion back into the economy, so I can't see the Canadian dollar rebounding soon. The estimates now are four years of low crude prices.

It's going to be interesting to see what happens with the salary cap in that time period. The Rogers deal is a paper tiger at this point.

I think Rogers would like a do over.

The Islanders are in their first year at Barclays Center, an arena designed for basketball. As a result, they have some obstructed view seats. And to their credit, they don't cost as much as regular tickets. There still have been some concerns voiced from the fans in those seats. The CEO of the arena had this to say in response:

There’s really nothing we’re going to do from a capital improvement standpoint. You can watch the game on your mobile device. The game is on the scoreboard. There are many ways to view the game if you’re in one of those obstructed seats.

So after paying money to get a seat in the arena, his first suggestion is to watch the game on your phone? It's not like streaming on GCL (or NHL.TV, or whatever it's called now under the new monstrosity of a website) is live. And it's not like that's free either, you have to pay monthly for the streaming service. There's always a delay so in reality, he's suggesting after buying a seat, you should just watch a slightly delayed TV broadcast on your phone (provided you can get around the local blackout rules, of course) and pay for that on top of the ticket. I have a better, more cost-friendly idea: Watch the game at home instead. At least there you can use a nice big screen TV instead of watching on a phone.

The Islanders are losing their crazy owner before too long. Sadly for them, the head of their new arena is just as nuts. (This is far from the first time he has said/done things that make no sense when it comes to the hockey team.)

http://www.todaysslapshot.com/from-the-ice/barclays-center-ceo-suggests-mobile-streaming-for-obstructed-view-seats/

Guest Stogey24

Kassian 4 points in 8 games. good thing we got his slug ass out of here.

The more and more I look at the moves Bergevin has made, the more I wonder if he even has the ability to lead this team to the promise land.

Apparently Carbo had a long meeting last night with Habs upper management... No idea what that means.

The Islanders are in their first year at Barclays Center, an arena designed for basketball. As a result, they have some obstructed view seats. And to their credit, they don't cost as much as regular tickets. There still have been some concerns voiced from the fans in those seats. The CEO of the arena had this to say in response:

So after paying money to get a seat in the arena, his first suggestion is to watch the game on your phone? It's not like streaming on GCL (or NHL.TV, or whatever it's called now under the new monstrosity of a website) is live. And it's not like that's free either, you have to pay monthly for the streaming service. There's always a delay so in reality, he's suggesting after buying a seat, you should just watch a slightly delayed TV broadcast on your phone (provided you can get around the local blackout rules, of course) and pay for that on top of the ticket. I have a better, more cost-friendly idea: Watch the game at home instead. At least there you can use a nice big screen TV instead of watching on a phone.

The Islanders are losing their crazy owner before too long. Sadly for them, the head of their new arena is just as nuts. (This is far from the first time he has said/done things that make no sense when it comes to the hockey team.)

http://www.todaysslapshot.com/from-the-ice/barclays-center-ceo-suggests-mobile-streaming-for-obstructed-view-seats/

His brother was in charge of the Panthers when they were an epic suck, and he was an embarrassment. There were times when he would spar with fans over Twitter, he ran desperation promotions (ticket exchange for losing lottery tickets) and in the end, he quit to work for Jay-Z.

It is for the Isles. I believe Barclays is paying them around $50 M per year to play there.

Hey that is a hell of a deal. no wonder they care less about the fan's

The more and more I look at the moves Bergevin has made, the more I wonder if he even has the ability to lead this team to the promise land.

Apparently Carbo had a long meeting last night with Habs upper management... No idea what that means.

We need a coach.

They need players with talent way more than a coach.

Therrien is done. I don't think coaching is a huge problem, but we will need to turn the page on this disaster and one clear way to do that is to hire a fresh voice to run the room.

That said, you are certainly right, and I think we all agree. It's not either-or, it's both.