2015-16 NHL Season Thread

dlbalr

Maybe Phaneuf didn't want to go to Detroit?

Might be the case. He had 12 teams on the list of teams he would go to. Surprisingly the Habs were on his "yes" list. Could be due to the fact that putting division foes on the list increases the strength of the no trade clause since its less likely that division rivals deal with one another. It happened today however.

It'll be interesting to see where Cowen eventually gets flipped to. His situation is a rare one; if he is bought out this offseason, the team actually would receive a small credit on the salary cap for next year (and then take a usual penalty the next season). If there are teams up against the cap next year, there may be value in trading for him just to buy him out.

Might be the case. He had 12 teams on the list of teams he would go to. Surprisingly the Habs were on his "yes" list. Could be due to the fact that putting division foes on the list increases the strength of the no trade clause since its less likely that division rivals deal with one another. It happened today however.

Phaneuf didn't stop the deal. Toronto did. They didn't want Weiss or to retain any salary.

What this really shows is that this whole business of 'not trading in your conference' is a pile of bullspittle. You make a trade if you think it improves your team - full stop. This anxiety about trading within the division reveals a concern with PR ('what if the other team ends up winning the trade?? Then how will we look??') rather than making your hockey team better, period. So good on both the Leafs and Sens for having the cojones to do what they thought best for their clubs - making a core-shaking deal with a traditional rival to boot.

Can you see us trading with the bruins?

What this really shows is that this whole business of 'not trading in your conference' is a pile of bullspittle. You make a trade if you think it improves your team - full stop. This anxiety about trading within the division reveals a concern with PR ('what if the other team ends up winning the trade?? Then how will we look??') rather than making your hockey team better, period. So good on both the Leafs and Sens for having the cojones to do what they thought best for their clubs - making a core-shaking deal with a traditional rival to boot.

This is a trade where neither team was too afraid of the other benefitting too much. I don't think Toronto is too afraid of Phaneuf guiding the Sens to a Cup. It's a lot different from trading Drouin in your division and having him burn you for ten years.

Yes, the difference is that Phaneuf is a known quantity and Drouin isn't. I didn't have that case in mind, necessarily - more the general idea, often cited as self-evident dogma, that GMs won't 'trade within the division' and are justified in this sentiment. Yeah, I'd trade with Boston IF the deal was right. But it is true that I probably wouldn't deal away a high-ceiling young player to Boston unless I got a comparable player back. And then, hey, watch the fur fly every time the two teams meet - what's the problem, if it makes our team better? If we'd traded Subban for Seguin three years ago, why would that have been such a horrific outcome (assuming it made us better, which isn't self-evident, natch).

Yes, the difference is that Phaneuf is a known quantity and Drouin isn't. I didn't have that case in mind, necessarily - more the general idea, often cited as self-evident dogma, that GMs won't 'trade within the division' and are justified in this sentiment. Yeah, I'd trade with Boston IF the deal was right. But it is true that I probably wouldn't deal away a high-ceiling young player to Boston unless I got a comparable player back. And then, hey, watch the fur fly every time the two teams meet - what's the problem, if it makes our team better? If we'd traded Subban for Seguin three years ago, why would that have been such a horrific outcome (assuming it made us better, which isn't self-evident, natch).

That's an interesting scenario, one that we (almost) never see with two guys with such high ceilings. GMs would rather get burned standing pat than by making a gutsy move.

This is also the first trade between the Leafs and Sens in 18 years.

Stamkos didn't seem too happy about that Montreal photographer who stalked him yesterday.

Now I don't condone what the photographer did, i think this type of thing is bullshit... while not condoning it, you get these types of a-holes in a hockey crazy city like this.

Stamkos has blown up at the tampa media a couple of times this year too.

I'm not sure he's the type to want the Montreal or Toronto type of environment.

Ehroff is on waivers, maybe claim so the ch have a consitent pp.

Great idea, a guy with 14 points last year and 11 points this year is gonna fix our PP.

You haven't watched Ehroff play lately have you?

there is a reason pittsburgh let him go, a reason he got a cheap contract in LA, and a reason he's on waivers today. Not the same player after his concussions.

Great idea, a guy with 14 points last year and 11 points this year is gonna fix our PP.

You haven't watched Ehroff play lately have you?

there is a reason pittsburgh let him go, a reason he got a cheap contract in LA, and a reason he's on waivers today. Not the same player after his concussions.

I meant he is cheap and as 6/7 defenseman he might not be that bad.

Edited by Westernhablove76

I suspect Barberio is better than Ehrhoff at this point. He was a hell of a PP performer in his heyday, though - a real key to the Canucks' great team of 2011, and his loss was a major reason why that group never came within a whiff of contention again.

Well, already 0 for 2 today with Minni & Philly losing.

Oh well still several games today that might help Habs (in a tanking sort of way),

Carolina over Islanders

Canucks beat Leafs

Sens beat CBJ

Arizona beat SJS

Jets over Oilers.

Guest Stogey24

The wild have lost 8 straight and have just 3 wins since January 1st.....

That's only 3 less wins than Montreal with some overtime losses in there too....

Another day off for the team again yesterday. With all the defensive mistakes that were made, you'd think the team would be on the ice, but no they'll go golfing instead

The wild have lost 8 straight and have just 3 wins since January 1st.....

Which is good news for the Habs considering they have Minny's 2nd rounder this year from the Gorges trade. If both they and the Habs keep struggling, they could have two picks in the top-10 of the 2nd round which could be really handy.

Another day off for the team again yesterday. With all the defensive mistakes that were made, you'd think the team would be on the ice, but no they'll go golfing instead

Remember, most off-days are scheduled in advance in this CBA. Some of those mandatory off-days have to be on the road as well.