2015-16 NHL Season Thread

dlbalr

A guy like Gallagher would play the same even if his coach was milbury, cumneywoth or Mario trembley.

Yeah, he has no confidence in young players, like when he took the 20 year old Brendan Gallagher and gave him a prominent role in the team.

Or the fact he kept Galchenyuk in a top 9 role as an 18 year old.

It's not galchenyuks position. How much ice time was he getting, how long did it take to get a regular pp time, usage in OT, shootouts?

You could be right. However, there's some axiomatic reasoning going on here - by which I mean you're ASSUMING that Galchenyuk just is destined to be a #1 C in the NHL and that Therrien is therefore mishandling him. But that assumption is not self-evidently correct. It may in fact be true that Galy does not have the tools to become a #1 C, period. The player I see, for example, is an individualistic player who tends not to use his teammates and plays a kind of 'torpedo' game based on dekes and shooting. That sounds like a winger, rather than a centreman, to me. Perhaps Therrien has reached this conclusion as well, or else tried to get Galchenyuk to develop those aspects of his game where he uses his teammates rather than makes the individual play all the time, and has concluded that it won't happen with the necessary consistency.

On the wider question, most coaches bring along young kids gradually if they have the option. I don't think Therrien is particularly unusual in this respect.

Don't forget a 23/24 year old Subban winning the Norris.

Yeah MT was about the only guy subban didn't thank in his acceptance speech. mt played a major roll in that win.

Yeah MT was about the only guy subban didn't thank in his acceptance speech. mt played a major roll in that win.

Coach had nothing to do with a major award to a young player but has everything to do with other young players not succeeding. Makes sense

• Upvote 1

Good point guys. Gallagher and Subban were coached by Therien and seem to be doing just fine. I suppose it could just be the circumstances of this season that make it seem like some of the young players aren't getting the proper opportunities. Can't blame the guy for trying to win (we gripe if he doesn't). Maybe he feels that he is doing the right thing for their development. I guess only time will tell.

Sorry, get carried away sometimes and in maybe one of Demers or Burns years they might of been genuinely liked by majority?

Keep dreaming! Pat Burns was routinely reviled for

-not supporting French players

-insisting on a soul-crushing defensive system that sucked all offence and entertainment out of the team - this was the big critique and almost universally agreed on by the time he was fired (not a critique I shared in, but whatever)

-favouring veterans over young players

As for Demers, while he obviously attained 'hero' status with his ballsy coaching in 1993, he tended to be regarded as a bit of a lightweight. I used to criticise him myself for not having the team play a structured enough defensive system. However, he was never as thoroughly critiqued as Burns was (partly because he was French and more media-friendly than grumpy ol' Burns).

I'll bet you that the last coach not to get systematically raked over the coals in Montreal was Scotty Bowman. So all it takes is four straight Cups and the all-time winningest coaching record.

Didn't follow them closely at all, other than boxscores in paper, maybe saw one game every week or two till playoff time, so don't remember disliking or pulling for any coaches or GMs.

So will take your word for it CC, but even more supports my argument that many will be pissed with Therrien or Coach X.

Maybe Bergevin knows Therrien is as good as most others and not a huge priority to switch-up the coaches? More focused on Price, deadline day, making playoffs, draft, UFAs, Cap etc.

Not NHL-related but we don't have a junior thread. There is a very, very strange situation happening with Flint of the OHL (formerly Plymouth until this year). The owner fired the coaching staff (after beating defending champion Oshawa), presumably because the owner's son wasn't playing enough. In response, the entire team, the owner's son included, quit. I'm quite curious to see how this all plays out...

A couple of reads on this:

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/jrhockey-buzzing-the-net/flint-firebirds-players-revolt-after-coaches-allegedly-fired-%E2%80%94-reports-041017912.html

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/juniors/how-flint-firebirds-firestorm-came-about/

A day after this happened, the league stepped in and the Flint coaches all got their jobs back and the players came back. Since then, the GM was fired (but only after making a bunch of poor seller deals). The coach that was fired and rehired wound up with the GM job after that. Now, a few weeks later, the coach/GM was fired again today with the league issuing a statement suggesting the way it was done/announced was rather suspect. The team has a lousy record but after selling most of their good players, it was kind of expected. The players haven't quit this time around but the fact that the league appears to be stepping in again suggests we're in for another fiasco.

Oh, and apparently the GM that was fired was re-hired in a VP capacity today as well.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/juniors/firebirds-fire-coaches-for-second-time-this-season/

Is a relative of Harold Ballard or streinbrenner the owner?

A day after this happened, the league stepped in and the Flint coaches all got their jobs back and the players came back. Since then, the GM was fired (but only after making a bunch of poor seller deals). The coach that was fired and rehired wound up with the GM job after that. Now, a few weeks later, the coach/GM was fired again today with the league issuing a statement suggesting the way it was done/announced was rather suspect. The team has a lousy record but after selling most of their good players, it was kind of expected. The players haven't quit this time around but the fact that the league appears to be stepping in again suggests we're in for another fiasco.

Oh, and apparently the GM that was fired was re-hired in a VP capacity today as well.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/juniors/firebirds-fire-coaches-for-second-time-this-season/

Maybe it's all the lead in the water.

Today's update on the Flint fiasco - The owner has been suspended by the league as have all recent management/coaching hires/promotions. The league has ordered the team to pay for counselling to the players. Their head scout will coach tonight's game while the league has asked former NHL'er Pat Peake to act as an interim assistant.

I feel bad for these players. Junior hockey can be tough on people to begin with but the actions of the owner have really put the players in a tough spot.

Today's update on the Flint fiasco - The owner has been suspended by the league as have all recent management/coaching hires/promotions. The league has ordered the team to pay for counselling to the players. Their head scout will coach tonight's game while the league has asked former NHL'er Pat Peake to act as an interim assistant.

I feel bad for these players. Junior hockey can be tough on people to begin with but the actions of the owner have really put the players in a tough spot.

What is his name Sterling? He sounds just as nutty.

Karlsson had a goal and assist for the Wings tonight, but Ottawa still managed to pull it out in the shootout.

PK sure could learn a lot from this superb all-around defenceman.

Weise practicing with Eller-Pacioretty today and seems to be getting thin on d with Barberio-Pateryn in for injured Petry-Gilbert; but good to see them getting some icetime.

Hope Beaulieu keeps joining the rush.

Sitting with 8th pick, would Alex Nylander be available and likely a better choice than two Q-players Gauthier & Dubois, or maybe Clayton Keller?

To me Alex Nylander is part of the best 7 in this draft... and those 7 are a tier ahead of #8. He is a better choice than the Q players.

Minnesota has won 4 in a row since firing head coach Mike Yeo...

Think Bergevin and Therrien read sports news in their foxhole?

Bergevin and Therrien are likely surrounding themselves with people who just constantly tell them not to "listen to haters" and "do not surround yourself with negative energy"