October 30, Montreal vs Calgary, 9 PM

dlbalr

Be nice to see Chucky get it going. Looks much better this season than he did down the stretch last season. But still, only 2 goals. Going back to last season including play offs he has like 4 goals in his last 40 games. With several different sets of line mates and pp time.

Guest Stogey24

Flynn is obviously not a long-term solution in the top-6. Let's not overreact to the coach's decision to send a message to a player.

On a team with holes in its FW configuration, trading a FW doesn't make a whole lot of sense, as a rule.

Who is the long term solution in the top 6 though?

I like that the team is on the winning side of things, but this is still a holey ass top 6.

19:32 for Markov, nice to see

19:19 for Beaulieu and great to see him get PPG.

Habs are 9th in PP, 23.8%

All did well on faceoffs cept Plekanec (10-25)

Team leaders in even strength goals last season.

Max 27

Gally 21

Chuck 17

Pleks 16

Eller 14

DD 12

Game winners

Max 10 (most in NHL)

Eller 7

Gally 6

Pleks 5

DD 4

Larry does alright with what the coach gives him.

100% agree. He still doesn't get much PP time. Weisse has been getting PP time the last couple of games. He scored 3 last night, but was horrible against EDM. DD cost us the game against EDM - did either get benched. Let's face it Eller is the whipping boy.

He hardly gets any PP time - which is one way for a player to get get their offensive game going. And until last night was tied with Weisse in goals.

Poor w'il baby Lars, the coachie doesn't wike him. Poor poor baby... :cry_smile: :cry_smile:

Yep so until last night, Weisse had same numbers as Eller, despite more ice time and more PP time and sucked against the oilers, dd cost us the game against the oilers, and when anyone complains about Ellen being benched while dd and Weiss get their usual free pass, it's your usual poor baby Eller monologue.

I don't see Eller's play as deserving of being on the 2nd line. If it wasn't for the fear of disturbing the DD line I would put Flash in Eller's place in a heartbeat. That and the fact our supposed 3rd line is really our 2nd line in terms of production. I'm willing to be more patient with Semin than Eller at this point because Eller has burned so many opportunities with this team. Semin is new here so I'd stick with him for a while to give him a fair shot at it.

I don't really believe that Eller is on the second line.

So far, DD has been just as good as Galchenyuk. Fleischman and Weise have each been superior to either of Eller or Semin.

Lines are typically ranked by offensive production. We all know line 1 (for a change.) Line 2 has been unequivocably DD/Flash/Weise. Line 3 is Galchenyuk/Eller/Semin-or-replacement. (I'm tempted to say, Line 3 is Mitchell, Flynn, and DSP, and line 4 is AG/LE/AS - but that's not really a knock against AG/LE/AS - because Mitchell, Flynn and DSP have been awesome).

Some speculation as to why Eller isn't getting much PP time is the balanced attack up front. If a team wants to run four lines averaging 10+ minutes a night, almost everyone has to have some sort of special teams role. That means only the top guys play both roles. Here's the breakdown for the Habs:

Less than 45 seconds per game PP or PK:

D: None

F: Weise

PP only (min 45 seconds per game, less than that on the PK):

D: Beaulieu

F: Gallagher, Galchenyuk, Semin, Desharnais

PK only (min 45 seconds per game, less than that on the PP):

D: Emelin, Gilbert

F: Mitchell, Flynn, Fleischmann, Smith-Pelly (barely qualifies, right at 45 seconds), Byron (small sample size)

Both PP/PK (min 45 seconds per game each):

D: Subban, Markov, Petry

F: Pacioretty, Plekanec, Eller (just qualifies on the PP side, right on 45 seconds, will probably be in the PK only section after the next game)

When pretty much everyone has a special teams role, there's not much room for players to play regularly in both roles. For the Habs, Eller is a better PK option than a PP one which is a big reason why he seems more of the former than the latter.

Some speculation as to why Eller isn't getting much PP time is the balanced attack up front. If a team wants to run four lines averaging 10+ minutes a night, almost everyone has to have some sort of special teams role. That means only the top guys play both roles. Here's the breakdown for the Habs:

F: Mitchell, Flynn, Fleischmann, Smith-Pelly (barely qualifies, right at 45 seconds), Byron (small sample size)

F: Pacioretty, Plekanec, Eller (just qualifies on the PP side, right on 45 seconds, will probably be in the PK only section after the next game)

When pretty much everyone has a special teams role, there's not much room for players to play regularly in both roles. For the Habs, Eller is a better PK option than a PP one which is a big reason why he seems more of the former than the latter.

Great break down.

Yep so until last night, Weisse had same numbers as Eller, despite more ice time and more PP time and sucked against the oilers, dd cost us the game against the oilers, and when anyone complains about Ellen being benched while dd and Weiss get their usual free pass, it's your usual poor baby Eller monologue.

Some (not all) Therrien lovers feel they have to agree and back every single thing the coach does.

Some (not all) Therrien lovers feel they have to agree and back every single thing the coach does.

Yeah, but I'm not one of those. I just grow weary of the unending Eller Excuse Machine. More to the point, I don't believe that Therrien has some unending and irrational vendetta against Eller. Seems to me that when Eller plays well, he gets plenty of ice time. When he doesn't it gets cut back. Apparently this makes me a 'Therrien lover.'

Eller played poorly, then got a penalty, then got schooled by Sam Bennett on a Flames' goal. So, he was benched for good chunks of the 1st and 2nd. He then returned to a more or less regular shift in the 3rd and played better. This is hardly a scandal of incompetent coaching.

Good breakdown by Machine.

Yeah, but I'm not one of those. I just grow weary of the unending Eller Excuse Machine. More to the point, I don't believe that Therrien has some unending and irrational vendetta against Eller. Seems to me that when Eller plays well, he gets plenty of ice time. When he doesn't it gets cut back. Apparently this makes me a 'Therrien lover.'

Eller played poorly, then got a penalty, then got schooled by Sam Bennett on a Flames' goal. So, he was benched for good chunks of the 1st and 2nd. He then returned to a more or less regular shift in the 3rd and played better. This is hardly a scandal of incompetent coaching.

Eller played poorly then got schooled by Sam Bennet on a flames goal. So he was benched.

DD played poorly, then got schooled by Ryan Nugent Hopkins on Oilers WINNING goal. So he was.......put on the next power play.

I believe that is all Habs29 was eluding to.

Coaches pet and coaches whipping boy. Nobody is screaming scandal or even incompetent coaching. Just some off the cuff observations, with apologies to the DD and Therrien fan club. A Sensitive bunch. :thumbs_up:

Regardless of DD, regardless of Weise, the questions you should be asking yourself is this:

Has Lars Eller been playing to the expectations of a second line forward? Has Lars Eller been a Top 2 left winger on this team? For 12 games, has Eller been a top 5 forward for us? Is Eller in a slump or is this his standard play?

These are simple questions with simple answers, unless you try to answer them not with the intention of honesty, but the intention of supporting Eller.

Eller played poorly then got schooled by Sam Bennet on a flames goal. So he was benched.

DD played poorly, then got schooled by Ryan Nugent Hopkins on Oilers WINNING goal. So he was.......put on the next power play.

I believe that is all Habs29 was eluding to.

Coaches pet and coaches whipping boy. Nobody is screaming scandal or even incompetent coaching. Just some off the cuff observations, with apologies to the DD and Therrien fan club. A Sensitive bunch. :thumbs_up:

I believe the bottom line for all of Therrien's thinking on this matter is simply the body of work from both players since the start of the season determined who had the longer leash. DD may have cost a winning goal on a soft play in Edmonton, but has been nothing short of being a big reason why our 3rd line has pretty much out-produced any 3rd line out there on a nightly basis the rest of the time.

Meanwhile Eller has been struggling to produce regularly on a second line, centered by our most talented center, and produced half of his season total in 1 game to boot. Leaving much to be desired in at least 7 of his games played. yes the guy backchecks, he is useful, is strong on the puck, but the bottom line now and after 3 years of waiting, is simply that he struggles to produce numbers, and he is streaky as all hell offensively.

Therrien isn't going to be dropping the hammer on a guy who has provided MORE than he expected from his spot in the roster after one bad play, he is dropping the hammer on a guy who hasn't given him what he has expected 80% of the season, that isn't favoring, that is logical coaching. Eller isn't in a checking role anymore, he wanted the chance to play an offensive role and move up the roster, he has been given that and still failed to produce, being good without the puck and along the boards isn't good enough anymore. And before we can expect Therrien to dish out the chocolate chip cookies to the guy and give him more PP time so he can produce more, he needs to do more with the 5 on 5 time he has with his line. That line should be better than it is, and if not for Chucky somehow keeping pace with the others and playing very well despite having 2 unproductive slugs on each side at the moment, that line would look even worse than it has.

Maybe the next step is not to wonder if Eller is being mistreated by Therrien, but to wonder if Eller has the necessary offensive hockey instincts to warrant being a second line player, maybe we are expecting 55 points from a guy who is suited to be a 35 point 3rd liner. I've always been a supporter of Eller, and i'm not suggesting he is done, that we trade him, or move him off the line even because I still see him as the best option there currently. But for the love of Zeus can we all stop saying its either Therrien hate or Eller love, lets look at the numbers, look at comparables, expectations, and make an objective analysis of the situation, this post is mine.

Simply, when Eller moved to his current spot before the season, I was excited, I thought he was going to open the flood gates in his new role, and I am surprised and a little disappointed that he has not, regardless of special teams, and all the banter that comes with that. Watching him play with Galchenyuk, and not able to produce and even at times look underwhelming out there has been surprising to me, watching Semin look the same as he did an Carolina has not, my expectations for both were very different, and so far one has met those expectations while the other has not, and that happened not in the order that i hoped.

• Upvote 1

When pretty much everyone has a special teams role, there's not much room for players to play regularly in both roles. For the Habs, Eller is a better PK option than a PP one which is a big reason why he seems more of the former than the latter

So how am I supposed to argue with you if you keep insisting upon informed content and rational consideration. .. Is that fair?? Really! :blush:

when it comes to special teams who cares about retaining a balanced attack. you should be going with the best options. Fleischmann is another guy who's should be getting PP time. DD has been getting PP time for three friggin years and has very little to show for it.

And DD cost us a game and didn't miss a shift.

I believe the bottom line for all of Therrien's thinking on this matter is simply the body of work from both players since the start of the season determined who had the longer leash. DD may have cost a winning goal on a soft play in Edmonton, but has been nothing short of being a big reason why our 3rd line has pretty much out-produced any 3rd line out there on a nightly basis the rest of the time.

Meanwhile Eller has been struggling to produce regularly on a second line, centered by our most talented center, and produced half of his season total in 1 game to boot. Leaving much to be desired in at least 7 of his games played. yes the guy backchecks, he is useful, is strong on the puck, but the bottom line now and after 3 years of waiting, is simply that he struggles to produce numbers, and he is streaky as all hell offensively.

Therrien isn't going to be dropping the hammer on a guy who has provided MORE than he expected from his spot in the roster after one bad play, he is dropping the hammer on a guy who hasn't given him what he has expected 80% of the season, that isn't favoring, that is logical coaching. Eller isn't in a checking role anymore, he wanted the chance to play an offensive role and move up the roster, he has been given that and still failed to produce, being good without the puck and along the boards isn't good enough anymore. And before we can expect Therrien to dish out the chocolate chip cookies to the guy and give him more PP time so he can produce more, he needs to do more with the 5 on 5 time he has with his line. That line should be better than it is, and if not for Chucky somehow keeping pace with the others and playing very well despite having 2 unproductive slugs on each side at the moment, that line would look even worse than it has.

Maybe the next step is not to wonder if Eller is being mistreated by Therrien, but to wonder if Eller has the necessary offensive hockey instincts to warrant being a second line player, maybe we are expecting 55 points from a guy who is suited to be a 35 point 3rd liner. I've always been a supporter of Eller, and i'm not suggesting he is done, that we trade him, or move him off the line even because I still see him as the best option there currently. But for the love of Zeus can we all stop saying its either Therrien hate or Eller love, lets look at the numbers, look at comparables, expectations, and make an objective analysis of the situation, this post is mine.

Simply, when Eller moved to his current spot before the season, I was excited, I thought he was going to open the flood gates in his new role, and I am surprised and a little disappointed that he has not, regardless of special teams, and all the banter that comes with that. Watching him play with Galchenyuk, and not able to produce and even at times look underwhelming out there has been surprising to me, watching Semin look the same as he did an Carolina has not, my expectations for both were very different, and so far one has met those expectations while the other has not, and that happened not in the order that i hoped.

This

100% agree. He still doesn't get much PP time. Weisse has been getting PP time the last couple of games. He scored 3 last night, but was horrible against EDM. DD cost us the game against EDM - did either get benched. Let's face it Eller is the whipping boy.

He hardly gets any PP time - which is one way for a player to get get their offensive game going. And until last night was tied with Weisse in goals.

First 5 games of the season... Eller was a regular on the PP, and it sucked.

Last 7 games our PP has been great and Eller isn't on it.

Are we more concerned with a lack of PP time hurting Eller's stat line.... or with the PP producing and the team winning?

Why do we want to make the PP worse, just so we can be fair to Eller and get his offensive game going?

Best post I've seen on the topic... honestly, I'd like to put this up as a guest article on my site.

when it comes to special teams who cares about retaining a balanced attack. you should be going with the best options. Fleischmann is another guy who's should be getting PP time. DD has been getting PP time for three friggin years and has very little to show for it.

And DD cost us a game and didn't miss a shift.

Yes, we should go with the best options...

Eller's PP time comes almost entirely in the first five games, when our PP produced nothing... h'e clearly not the best option.

Our PP has been red hot the last seven... so what is this criticism of who is/isn't on the PP... it makes no sense.

DD longer leash going into the two Alberta games . Yes

However DD has has always had the longer leash under MT. The basis for these debates I believe.

No big deal. DD is finally a third line center. Which is where he belongs and excels. Eller playing wing, center looking like a third liner too. To win a cup ideally I dont want either of them on my top six. So MB is getting there.

Are we more concerned with a lack of PP time hurting Eller's stat line.... or with the PP producing and the team winning?

Why do we want to make the PP worse, just so we can be fair to Eller and get his offensive game going?

For two years DD was the center on the powerplay and it sucked. That count for anything.

Not saying Eller is the answer to the powerplay. As i posted on this morning with last years scoring stats. Eller has done fine with what the coach gives him. Dont expect him to do much more. Higher expectations in the play offs from our supposed best players .....now thats a different story.

Dont care about Ellers stat line....or DDs. We could debate this all day. Neither one are what you want on your top six.

Both have been part of garbage powerplays. One can kill penalties. One has had a great play off...once. Third line players who both have been given a chance to be more.....and the truth is...neither one is. Not like we are debating Guy Lafluer and Pierre Larouche here.

DD isn't centring his line on the PP, nor is he on the first pp unit.... He's not in the same role he was in last year even on the PP.

That said the PP is working... and it started working when Eller was taken off and DD was put as Chucky's LW on the second unit.

So DD getting more PP time than Eller isn't the coach playing favorites... its the coach playing the results right now.

Lets stop this myth that Therrien hates Eller based on this PP time.

As for the last two years stuff, its disingenious to only rely on goals to say Eller outproduces DD at ES.... include assists and DD blows him out of the water, which is not surprising since he's a far better playmaker.

Why is it wrong to say DD is the better offensive player, and Eller is the better defensive player and have the coach use them in such situations.