Carolina Hurricanes vs. Montreal Canadiens | November 24th, 2016 | 7:30 EST

Habsfan84

1 minute ago, Stogey24 said:

Ya, then Therrien puts them all on a line together. Genius 

Actually in theory, it's not that stupid.  It limits their suckiness to one line instead of spreading it to the other lines.   

Guest Stogey24
3 minutes ago, habscout said:

Actually in theory, it's not that stupid.  It limits their suckiness to one line instead of spreading it to the other lines.   

touche 

20 minutes ago, habscout said:

I follow what you're saying.  However Therrien trusts Desharnais defensively ?!  

I'd like to see Hudon be given a legitimate chance to play regularly on the 3rd line for 5-6 consecutive games to give him a chance. 

I wouldn't necessarily say he trusts Desharnais defensively.  However, he trusts him enough offensively that he's confident in moving him to the top six at times.  (There's a debate to be had about the merits of doing so but it works for Therrien.)  That level of trust isn't there with Hudon, hence Desharnais gets the edge.  (Plus, one's a centre, the other a winger.)

To put it a different way, if you want to run four lines, you ideally want to be able to have everyone capable of playing one of the two special teams.  Hudon doesn't really fit on either at the moment.  Neither does Carr, which I think is a reason why he's out while Terry - someone who can play the PK but isn't much of a producer in the NHL - is playing.

Happy for the win...but, even with 1.5 seconds left they lose the faceoff in their own end and Carolina gets a shot on Price.  This team really likes to live dangerously.  Scoring troubles aside, they need to do something on the defensive side of their game.

Certainly not our best game by any means but we got the win. Hopefully that goal by Patches will get him going. He hit a post soon after scoring so at least he's shooting. He's streaky so eventually something has to give.

Tough set of games upcoming. Needed this win.

• Upvote 1

Guest Stogey24
Just now, JGC21 said:

Happy for the win...but, even with 1.5 seconds left they lose the faceoff in their own end and Carolina gets a shot on Price.  This team really likes to live dangerously.  Scoring troubles aside, they need to do something on the defensive side of their game.

I'll stop with the constant negativity and I know this team's record is great, but they don't impress me. 

Just now, Stogey24 said:

I'll stop with the constant negativity and I know this team's record is great, but they don't impress me. 

Yeah, they have a great record but their overall game is ho-hum, especially their last 6 contests.  Team seems to be in a funk and I think it's related to a bunch of core players sucking right now (Plex, Patches, Gally, Petry).  I thought Carolina dominated the game tonight and could easily have won.

Quite satisfied with the win. The only goal they managed was atypical of Price and Pax got on the board and also had a slick wrister off the iron.

Looking forward to the California road trip and hoping for 2 of 3 in the Golden State.

1 hour ago, JGC21 said:

Yeah, they have a great record but their overall game is ho-hum, especially their last 6 contests.  Team seems to be in a funk and I think it's related to a bunch of core players sucking right now (Plex, Patches, Gally, Petry).  I thought Carolina dominated the game tonight and could easily have won.

The record is actually pretty impressive, considering that the guys you list have really not done much so far. Few teams could top the standings with so many core pieces playing at subpar levels. 

7 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

That's fine. He's still learning. Has to catch up since Therrien kept putting him off centre last season and the season before. 

Yeah not too worried about the faceoffs. His defensive zone coverage needs work though. A couple fly by lazy plays that could of burned us pretty bad and some did against Ottawa. He needs to work a little harder in our end since he is our 1 centre.

Yep. Given that Plex may be done as a legit no. 2 C, it's Chucky or bust. And even there, we're still structurally weak at the position, as appears to be an iron law of the Montreal Canadiens.

10 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Yep. Given that Plex may be done as a legit no. 2 C, it's Chucky or bust. And even there, we're still structurally weak at the position, as appears to be an iron law of the Montreal Canadiens.

Patrice Bergeron 5pts 17gms, $6.875m/yr...washed up also?

57 minutes ago, DON said:

Patrice Bergeron 5pts 17gms, $6.875m/yr...washed up also?

Beats me. It's possible. Some fans seem to act as though it is impossible for players ever to get old or lose a step. Pleks is 34 with a lot of hard miles, and visibly slower than he used to be. Decline in his production would be really quite within the parameters of the normal - unlike, say, Gomez's bizarre evaporation at age 30.

The issue I see with Pleks is the loss of foot-speed; for a guy whose game has generally been of the 'torpedo' variety involving speed + shot, without a whole lot of playmaking, let alone greasy goals of the 'banging and crashing' type, that is a significant issue. Now, maybe he's playing through an injury or something. Otherwise, he still brings value as a smart, experienced checking C, and like many declining players he could still go on hot streaks here and there, but that doesn't change the fact of the decline.

If this is right, then it's an ironic outcome: just as the Habs FINALLY go out and get a legitimate top-6 FW in Radulov, one of our other top-6 FWs reverts to being a bottom-6 checker, leaving us, as before, with only 4 bona-fide top-6 FWs. Pretty dreary timing.

5 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

Plekanec was shit last year too. He just had big start to the year. 

I saw this coming from a mile away

I was ringing the gong about it last year too, but voices like ours were shouted down because Pleks's stats were decent overall. It's getting harder and harder to do that.

Pleks has played huge defensive minutes this year, with DD taking over the third line instead of Eller. 

I think if you kept him with Max and Gallagher and gave them offensive assignments, the line would score. 

But that leaves Mitchell and DD taking the D-zone shifts and while Mitchell is fine, no one wants DD in that role. 

I think that is why the Habs are rumored to be after Hanzal, cause he can take the defensive stuff and open up other lines to produce offence.