Jump to content

Should Bergevin consider trading Carey Price?


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I remember the last time we traded an all star hall of fame goaltender, that went well. For the avalanche.

If Price gets traded then MB has been a total failure IMO...first PK and then Price (not to mention the hack job on Galcheyuk)...MB can write a bestseller : How I Facked Up the HABS   instea

I have one problem that keeps niggling at the back of my mind, can this team pay Carey 10-10.5 mill per year and get the players it needs? Believe me I am a price fan boy ( for those of you who rememb

5 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

 

:rolleyes: Yeah, we have great 'leadership' and 'character.' But, y'know, we're 'fragile.'

 

What a schmuck.

..words matter !!!  A GM should not be describing his team as fragile EVEN if it is (im not sure what fragile means in this context but wtv).

 

IMO this guy has lost it...

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

 

:rolleyes: Yeah, we have great 'leadership' and 'character.' But, y'know, we're 'fragile.'

 

What a schmuck.

You must be running out of things to call him eh?:B)

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DON said:

You must be running out of things to call him eh?:B)

Don't worry we can find more. At least he is not in the foxhole with Barber Bill.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

No. Bergevin should not consider trading Price and that's coming from someone who doesn't feel like Price played particularly well this season, relative to his standards.

 

The reason the team has failed so to speak is because the 4 offensive and 3 defensive pairings are not up to standards with at least 10 teams in the league. We could trade Price and he would win a cup with another team while we'd still be fighting for our round 2 or 3 births. 

 

Price got outplayed by the opposing goalie too many tines this season but he should remain a lifelong Hab and let's hope to Stanley we win a few cups (at least one) in the span of his career.

 

We need offense and if there's a will, there's a way. In this case I'd find another way. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, habs rule said:

Don't worry we can find more. At least he is not in the foxhole with Barber Bill.

:rofl: 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/04/2017 at 1:39 PM, illWill said:

 

This is exactly the point of this thread. You're right that the problem isn't Carey Price, it's that they can't score. Top line centers don't just grow on trees so you have to give something up to get one. The team plays great team defense as it is and even if they downgraded on a goaltender, they wouldn't be too bad off in goals against. The plus side is that they'd add a legit offensive threat which has plagued this team for awhile now. Trading one of our best scorers and/or our blue chip offensive defenseman for offensive help doesn't make sense. 

I agree that you can't get something without giving up something. That's why i recommended trading either Galchenyuk or Sergachev. These are the two players we have (with the exception of Price) that if traded, will bring back the most in return.

 

Last time we traded a star goalie, we suffered for a decade. Last time we lost Carey Price for an entire season, we choked and failed miserably.

 

For these reasons, I don't think trading Price would be beneficial for this team in the long run,

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/26/2017 at 4:40 PM, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Theodore was still a star when he was traded. That star just fell fast.

but his hair looked great. On the way down.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes.

 

If he can get the buyer to overpay. I'm looking at you Calgary.

 

We already have 7 total picks between rounds 1 and 2 in 2017 and 2018. Think of the immediate rebuild that could be had if we went nuclear. Pacioretty, Price, Weber all gone for 1st round picks and more. Segachev, Gallagher, Lehkonen would stay. Question marks for Shaw and Galchenyuk.

 

We'd have a brand new team that was young, competitive by 2018-19 and giving us a very good chance for at least 5-7 years.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, zumpano21 said:

Yes.

 

If he can get the buyer to overpay. I'm looking at you Calgary.

 

We already have 7 total picks between rounds 1 and 2 in 2017 and 2018. Think of the immediate rebuild that could be had if we went nuclear. Pacioretty, Price, Weber all gone for 1st round picks and more. Segachev, Gallagher, Lehkonen would stay. Question marks for Shaw and Galchenyuk.

 

We'd have a brand new team that was young, competitive by 2018-19 and giving us a very good chance for at least 5-7 years.

 Image result for cartoon images blown up and then be competitive in 1 year! You cant be serious?:blink:

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, DON said:

 Image result for cartoon images blown up and then be competitive in 1 year! You cant be serious?:blink:

 

That's always the fantasy of the 'tankers.' 'Stock up on picks, have a couple of bad years, then win the Cup!!' :rolleyes: They always forget teams like Edmonton, Buffalo, and Columbus, who endured years and years of garbage.

 

A much more realistic scenario involves a medium-term patch-up job providing 3-5 years of cover while the team restocks the cupboard. E.g., lock up Radu, raid the KHL for 1-2 quality veterans, acquire a legitimate 2nd-line C. Ride out the next few seasons with a competitive veteran core, crossing your fingers on a miracle run a la 2010. Meanwhile, fire Lefebvre and do everything you can to amass and develop quality prospects, so that once all your veterans start breaking down the 'next wave' is ready to go. In other words, do a rebuild in disguise, like Gainey after 2009. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

 

That's always the fantasy of the 'tankers.' 'Stock up on picks, have a couple of bad years, then win the Cup!!' :rolleyes: They always forget teams like Edmonton, Buffalo, and Columbus, who endured years and years of garbage.

 

Everyone forgets Washington. 02-07 was their rebuild years (and aside from their finals appearance they had some high picks in the late 90s too), pretty close to the same years as Pittsburgh. They still can't seem to figure it out in the playoffs.

 

But I'll take five years of a toilet team over another five years of pretender teams. It's not about a guarantee at a Cup. It's about realizing futility and attempting to fix it. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

 

Everyone forgets Washington. 02-07 was their rebuild years (and aside from their finals appearance they had some high picks in the late 90s too), pretty close to the same years as Pittsburgh. They still can't seem to figure it out in the playoffs.

 

But I'll take five years of a toilet team over another five years of pretender teams. It's not about a guarantee at a Cup. It's about realizing futility and attempting to fix it. 

 

Well, see my proposal for a 'stealth rebuild' above ;)

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Or we could adopt a drug seeking mentality.

 

Always pushing the same thing. Looking for that elusive high we had back in 2010 and 2014 just knowing that if we get one more hit, everything will feel better and we can all sleep at night.

 

Or we could get ourselves back to rehab and in shape within 2-3 years.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have one problem that keeps niggling at the back of my mind, can this team pay Carey 10-10.5 mill per year and get the players it needs? Believe me I am a price fan boy ( for those of you who remember that term). He is the most technically sound goalie I have ever seen. But do we need the greatest goalie in history, or do we need goal scoring? Is it possible to have both in a flat salary cap world. Should we be looking at  more  balanced attack? Better scoring and defence with less spectacular goal keeping. Detroit did that for years. Now if Carey were to sign for 8 mill for 8 years, I couldn't turn that down. More than that would cause me to think.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, habs rule said:

I have one problem that keeps niggling at the back of my mind, can this team pay Carey 10-10.5 mill per year and get the players it needs? Believe me I am a price fan boy ( for those of you who remember that term). He is the most technically sound goalie I have ever seen. But do we need the greatest goalie in history, or do we need goal scoring? Is it possible to have both in a flat salary cap world. Should we be looking at  more  balanced attack? Better scoring and defence with less spectacular goal keeping. Detroit did that for years. Now if Carey were to sign for 8 mill for 8 years, I couldn't turn that down. More than that would cause me to think.

Would be quite something if he did find a taker and got a huge return for him. It would free up a lot of $$.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, habs rule said:

I have one problem that keeps niggling at the back of my mind, can this team pay Carey 10-10.5 mill per year and get the players it needs? Believe me I am a price fan boy ( for those of you who remember that term). He is the most technically sound goalie I have ever seen. But do we need the greatest goalie in history, or do we need goal scoring? Is it possible to have both in a flat salary cap world. Should we be looking at  more  balanced attack? Better scoring and defence with less spectacular goal keeping. Detroit did that for years. Now if Carey were to sign for 8 mill for 8 years, I couldn't turn that down. More than that would cause me to think.

 

It comes back to the lack of quality talent in the pipeline. The best organizations lock up their superstar core players and rely on cheap youth to supplant expensive non-core guys. But we have overpay the Shaws and the Petrys because we can't develop young talent. The result is the dilemma you describe.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

 

It comes back to the lack of quality talent in the pipeline. The best organizations lock up their superstar core players and rely on cheap youth to supplant expensive non-core guys. But we have overpay the Shaws and the Petrys because we can't develop young talent. The result is the dilemma you describe.

This is the main problem , I believe. Lehkonen made a big impact on the team this year. If Reway was healthy, I believe he might have as well.  Having talent developed and ready to step up is key in this league. This team does not have that. This year if our version of Josh Manson or Brady Skjei was ready to go and Sherback was lighting it up, none of those foolish deadline deals happens. Or even if Mcarron is fitting into a Boyle role and playing like him. Instead this endless treadmill of 4th line and 7th defenseman trades just keep rolling through town.. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...