Jump to content

Oct. 3, Habs vs Leafs, 7 PM


dlbalr
 Share

Recommended Posts

My problem with Drouin, even before we traded for him, is that he has yet to prove ANYTHING at this level.  Sure he had a good junior career but so did lots of guys (see Angelo Esposito, Alexandre Daigle, there is a long list).

 

Tampa was happy to get rid of him - and they got a real star for him.  Then we signed him to a huge contract.  Yet he had done NOTHING at this level to prove he deserves it.  To be honest, I'd rather have Galchenyuk.  Hope I am wrong and he finds a way to get it together but I really don't think that is a realistic expectation.  One thing is for sure, he will never live up to the expectations placed on him in Montreal.

 

On the flip side - K-Man looks like he could be the real deal.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, titanfan said:

My problem with Drouin, even before we traded for him, is that he has yet to prove ANYTHING at this level.  Sure he had a good junior career but so did lots of guys (see Angelo Esposito, Alexandre Daigle, there is a long list).

 

Tampa was happy to get rid of him - and they got a real star for him.  Then we signed him to a huge contract.  Yet he had done NOTHING at this level to prove he deserves it.  To be honest, I'd rather have Galchenyuk.  Hope I am wrong and he finds a way to get it together but I really don't think that is a realistic expectation.  One thing is for sure, he will never live up to the expectations placed on him in Montreal.

 

On the flip side - K-Man looks like he could be the real deal.

 

The Galchenyuk comparison is interesting. Similar players in their tendency to perpetually try to deke out entire teams, with futile results, and in playing decidedly 'soft.' But at least Galy put the puck in the net at impressive clips when on his game. I have yet to see Drouin step up. Is that trade going to go down as yet another epic Habs' disaster?

 

On Kotkaniemi, can we start a nickname? How about 'Special K?'

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

 

The Galchenyuk comparison is interesting. Similar players in their tendency to perpetually try to deke out entire teams, with futile results, and in playing decidedly 'soft.' But at least Galy put the puck in the net at impressive clips when on his game. I have yet to see Drouin step up. Is that trade going to go down as yet another epic Habs' disaster?

 

On Kotkaniemi, can we start a nickname? How about 'Special K?'

This is just a funny one, but me and Dad have been calling him “Coconut Miami” 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Meller93 said:

This is just a funny one, but me and Dad have been calling him “Coconut Miami” 

Ahahaha.  Thanks for the morning laugh.  I didn't get much sleep and that made me lol.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JoeLassister said:

He was doing just that in Tampa Bay and MB traded for him anyway. 
Same with drafting Galchenyuk.
Don't know what they expect.

He hires coaches that despise fancy plays and East-West hockey  and then trade for and draft exactly this type of players.

Sorry Joe , I know you're French and I don't mean to be ignorant, but the whole Drouin trade was a P.R stunt. 

 

The fan favourite Subban was traded, then Markov was let walk, as was Radulov.  Bergevin saw the outrage in fans, so he tried to soften the blow by adding a hometown boy, that could potentially be a hero... 

 

None of this is to say that Drouin isn't a great hockey player, it's just to the fact that he's probably more of complimentary piece. Also that we moved a potentially elite d-man, when our defense is probably one of the worst in the league. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

 

The Galchenyuk comparison is interesting. Similar players in their tendency to perpetually try to deke out entire teams, with futile results, and in playing decidedly 'soft.' But at least Galy put the puck in the net at impressive clips when on his game. I have yet to see Drouin step up. Is that trade going to go down as yet another epic Habs' disaster?

 

On Kotkaniemi, can we start a nickname? How about 'Special K?'

Kenny would be hilarious 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've had to repeat it before but Tampa originally structured their expansion draft around keeping Drouin. They didn't want to trade him. They didn't know what depth they had at the wing position and how much losing him would hurt. Montreal made the offer, and had been trying to get him for a while, and Yzerman wasn't convinced on Sergachev and was worried he'd be waiting for years for him to be ready. That's why he asked for a 2nd round pick if he didn't play the next season for 40 games.

 

So what might have looked obvious to us wasn't to them. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

 

The Galchenyuk comparison is interesting. Similar players in their tendency to perpetually try to deke out entire teams, with futile results, and in playing decidedly 'soft.' But at least Galy put the puck in the net at impressive clips when on his game. I have yet to see Drouin step up. Is that trade going to go down as yet another epic Habs' disaster?

 

On Kotkaniemi, can we start a nickname? How about 'Special K?'

 

K-squared

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, titanfan said:

My problem with Drouin, even before we traded for him, is that he has yet to prove ANYTHING at this level.  Sure he had a good junior career but so did lots of guys (see Angelo Esposito, Alexandre Daigle, there is a long list).

 

Tampa was happy to get rid of him - and they got a real star for him.  Then we signed him to a huge contract.  Yet he had done NOTHING at this level to prove he deserves it.  To be honest, I'd rather have Galchenyuk.  Hope I am wrong and he finds a way to get it together but I really don't think that is a realistic expectation.  One thing is for sure, he will never live up to the expectations placed on him in Montreal.

 

On the flip side - K-Man looks like he could be the real deal.

 

I dont agree with that.  Drouin had 2 good seasons with tampa and the analytics were strong.  The hadnt proven anything isnt exactly true.

 

I still think he can be a very good player for this team.  He looked really good in preseason.  Last nights bad game shouldnt be taken as too much of an indication of his season.

 

Last year he scored an assist on the tying goal and the shootout winner in the first game against buffalo and we had a much different view of his first game and the season went the opposite.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Habopotamus said:

Sorry Joe , I know you're French and I don't mean to be ignorant, but the whole Drouin trade was a P.R stunt. 

 

The fan favourite Subban was traded, then Markov was let walk, as was Radulov.  Bergevin saw the outrage in fans, so he tried to soften the blow by adding a hometown boy, that could potentially be a hero... 

 

None of this is to say that Drouin isn't a great hockey player, it's just to the fact that he's probably more of complimentary piece. Also that we moved a potentially elite d-man, when our defense is probably one of the worst in the league. 

I don't take offense at all, mainly because I believe this as well.

 

I always thought (and still think) that the Drouin trade was a crowd pleaser move.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

Toronto get 3 stars?  Haha. 

 

You should know by now that the 3 Stars are entirely irrelevant around the league and really shouldn't be paid attention to*.

 

* - The exception to this rule is the HW Habs 3 Stars that appear as part of the postgame article.  Those should be read at all times.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Koko is a possibility, but - I can 99% gurantee that his nickname will actually end up being 'Jazzy.' And y'know, that's a rare case where the dreary NHL habit of adding a '-y' to a guy's name actually produces an acceptable nickname.

 

But I still mourn the days of Cucumbers, Rockets, Suitcases, and Red Lights ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/montreal-690/delmar-postgame-show-finding-a-nickname-for-kotkaniemi-1.1181559 

 

Delmar PostGame Show : Finding a nickname for Kotkaniemi

It is not about the 5-3 loss to the Maple Leafs at the Bell Center. No, it is all about finding a nickname for the 18 year old third overall pick Jesperi Kotkaniemi.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Gutsy call sitting Plex and Alzner last night....and I think the team has bought the concept of skating hard to earn your ice....the forwards all looked good to me, especially Domi and KoKo....on D, Reilly looked really good  -- quick feet and moving the puck...Petry was having problems settling in on the pp.  couple long shots with no one near the net and another from the goal line that sailed all the way around and let the worn out leafs change out.  He's gotta be smarter and not force it so much....Juulsen and Mete played really well!  third line pairing is a problem that needs to get fixed asap!  and, Alzner is not the answer...If they can work that hard consistently, it will be a fun year (even if they don't come out on top every night). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think people are doing the typical Hab fan thing in the case of Drouin, overreacting to a bad night, like any player doesn't have those, or like he didn't have any off nights last year. Let me see him perform with no drive, and lack of commitment to the team game for a handful of games in a row, and then maybe i'll think Houston we got a problem. Otherwise it's just a bad day in the office you just gotta flush down and move forward from by coming back better and stronger next game.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Chips said:

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/montreal-690/delmar-postgame-show-finding-a-nickname-for-kotkaniemi-1.1181559 

 

Delmar PostGame Show : Finding a nickname for Kotkaniemi

It is not about the 5-3 loss to the Maple Leafs at the Bell Center. No, it is all about finding a nickname for the 18 year old third overall pick Jesperi Kotkaniemi.

I like mellers name coconut Miami. I've seen kk a couple times. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...