2019 NHL Offseason Thread

dlbalr

50 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Canucks lose a bit less, but still... yeesh.

Honestly, as a Vancouverite I like the tone the Canucks are setting. They were famously criticized by beloved and prematurely departed local commentator Jason Botchford for icing a "sea of Granlund" - i.e., generic place-holder players with no identity or real impact. Well, lo and behold, out goes Granlund.

Similarly, their D has been patently inadequate. So they cut loose Ben Hutton, a not-unlikeable, potentially useful rushing defenceman who overusage was symbolic of their blueline's weaknesses.

The Canucks are basically saying "this isn't good enough; we're making changes." The problem is, we don't yet know what will replace these subtractions. Will they be able actually to improve in these slots, or will it be a case of shuffling deck chairs on the Titanic? Too soon to tell. But kudos to Benning for at least forcing the issue.

How is it that when we needed a center so bad we could never find one. Now that we are finally at a point where I think we don't need a center, we might over pay for one?. I like Duchene but at over 9mil I would rather workout an extinction for Domi and sign him long term, then signing Duchene to a over priced long term deal.

1 hour ago, Metallica said:

How is it that when we needed a center so bad we could never find one. Now that we are finally at a point where I think we don't need a center, we might over pay for one?. I like Duchene but at over 9mil I would rather workout an extinction for Domi and sign him long term, then signing Duchene to a over priced long term deal.

Fear not my friend, he is almost certainly going to Nashville, just like the 2 Russians are going to Florida.

1 hour ago, Metallica said:

Would Lee be a better option to sign as a UFA?  He can play on the wing or at center and is a average 50pts + guy.

There is definitely not enough cap space for us to sign UFAs for forward, defence and goal. We must have the goalie. And hopefully we can get some real help on D. So I really think a UFA forward is a pipe dream at this point.

2 hours ago, Metallica said:

Would Lee be a better option to sign as a UFA?  He can play on the wing or at center and is a average 50pts + guy.

Hes not a centre.  Hasnt played there since college.

Hes likely going to Minnesota 

3 hours ago, Metallica said:

TSN thinks Lee will get a long-term deal at $7.5M or more. We would massively regret that kind of a deal two years from now when we couldn't sign our young guns. Or we'd be handing out first-round draft choices like candy at Halloween in order for someone to take Lee's or Weber's contract off our hands.

31 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

TSN thinks Lee will get a long-term deal at $7.5M or more. We would massively regret that kind of a deal two years from now when we couldn't sign our young guns. Or we'd be handing out first-round draft choices like candy at Halloween in order for someone to take Lee's or Weber's contract off our hands.

Totally agree, Bergevin has to be thinking 2/3 years down the road when all these good young players are coming off entry level deals, assuming they pan out. Kyle Dubas is in a real tough spot right now. 

54 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Totally agree, Bergevin has to be thinking 2/3 years down the road when all these good young players are coming off entry level deals, assuming they pan out. Kyle Dubas is in a real tough spot right now. 

Domi's getting a raise next year but 2021 will be when we really need the cap room.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Nice move for the Pens, I think, getting a high-ceiling young D and a serviceable youngish 2nd-liner for an aging and expensive (but still effective) Kessel. 

Definitely a nice move for the Pens,  surprising to me that Arizona makes this trade. Kessel will be 32 when the season starts, Arizona giving up a lot in the age department.  Not sure what the rationale for Arizona is here?  Have they soured on Galchenyuk already? 

17 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Definitely a nice move for the Pens,  surprising to me that Arizona makes this trade. Kessel will be 32 when the season starts, Arizona giving up a lot in the age department.  Not sure what the rationale for Arizona is here?  Have they soured on Galchenyuk already? 

Tocchet loves Kessel

Sekera on buyout waivers.  At a lower price, he's an interesting reclamation project.  No Habs are on buyout waivers today, the final day of the first window.

Carolina trades Scott Darling to Florida (plus a 6th) for James Reimer with the Panthers then buying out Darling.  I really don't get that one from Florida's perspective - buying out Reimer would have been a lot cheaper.  That's a high price to pay to essentially buy a sixth-round pick.

That’s an insane cost for a 6th-round pick, I think a total cap hit difference of over $1M over four years if I got that right. What are they smoking in Florida?

Or could there be more to this deal than what we are seeing now?

22 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

That’s an insane cost for a 6th-round pick, I think a total cap hit difference of over $1M over four years if I got that right. What are they smoking in Florida?

I'm guessing that in actual money being handed out, with Reimer's $2 250 000 signing bonus next season Reimer would technically cost Florida more than Darling, but the difference is like $100 000 total, and Darling's money is just spread out more evenly over the 4 years than Reimer's. 

I dunno, got nothing. 

45 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

The deal is official so it's not as if there's anything else coming from Florida's side.  If I had to guess, Florida was scared of the 20-21 buyout cost for Reimer and opted to pay a little more in the other three years to pay less in that season.  Here's the breakdown:

Darling: $1.23M, $2.23M, $1.183M, $1.183M

Reimer: $958K, $3.208M, $658K, $658K

I guess that $1 million in cap savings in 2020-21 was enough to justify the higher hit?  Seems kind of strange...

On the other side, there may be more coming as there are suggestions that Reimer may not be with Carolina for long.

1 hour ago, Chris said:

Kadri to Colorado for Barrie, 

A couple of other players a i never heard of,

Kerfoot's no slouch - over 40 points in his first two seasons and slots in nicely as Toronto's #3 centre.  Rosen is a d-man with a bit of upside.  I'm surprised to see Colorado retain half on Barrie (one year away from UFA status).  They must really like Kadri.

• dlbalr unpinned this topic