Jan 28, Flames vs Habs, 7 PM

tomh009

15 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Are they really getting better or just a bit of good luck?  The first unit was brutal on the opening PP with the second unit scoring off limited zone time and the results were flipped on the second one.  I thought both power plays were quite poor overall with their lone opportunity going in the net.  Not that I'm complaining or anything...

Agreed that is still unknown at this point.  However, it is unarguable that either way they are producing wanted results.  Furthermore, last year their PP and PK were aweful and this year so far there is a night and day difference.  Their 5 on 5 is likely the same as last years but it didnt really need improvement anyway. 

Nicely nicely, BangBus!!  3-0. 

So far Anderson's best quality seems to be going fast and outside around dmen and driving to the net.  However, he isn't a 1 trick pony and is capable of scoring numerous ways if his speed slows down a bit as he ages. 

2 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Agreed that is still unknown at this point.  However, it is unarguable that either way they are producing wanted results.  Furthermore, last year their PP and PK were aweful and this year so far there is a night and day difference.

I like the fact that the two PP units have a significantly different structure, making it more difficult to defend against using a single PK formation. And one or the other may work better against against any given opponent.

Luck or not, we will find out more as the season progresses.

FYI - 20:00 (8 pm) - Friday - RDS Michigan State vs Wisconsin

1 minute ago, tomh009 said:

I like the fact that the two PP units have a significantly different structure, making it more difficult to defend against using a single PK formation. And one or the other may work better against against any given opponent.

Luck or not, we will find out more as the season progresses.

Yes, for sure that is a positive thing.  Their old PP was sort of a 1 trick pony.  i.e. get puck to dman and a big shot from the high slot.  You don't want predictable or its easy to defend against. 

6 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Indeed. And a good play by Kotkaniemi to get the puck within reach of Anderson.

Ya, good on KK for shooting. 

Just now, Sir_Boagalott said:

... Ya, good on KK for shooting. 

He read the angle of the goalies pad and put the right spin on the puck
;)

1 minute ago, zumpano21 said:

Wish I could watch but looks like our boys improved their penalty discipline 

If you were able to watch it would be 4-0 Flames ... your sacrifice is appreciated

Do you listen via TSN690 online ... 

2 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Jinxed! Byron in the box now for the first PK of the night.

I forgive him ... as Toffoli scored short-handed ... great lob pass by Suzuki ... HORRIBLE butterfly by Rittich

Lucic for roughing ... HARD TO BELIEVE

Just now, tomh009 said:

That's 5 SHG for the year so far -- the next-best team has only 2, and all other teams put together have only 11. I can't remember seeing this kind of SH performance before.

Speed with skill kills 

Just now, Commandant said:

5 Shorties in 7 games is ridiculous.

In anther thread when someone said that SHG isnt a winning strategy I kinda did an evil grin.  Personally I tend to get excited seeing the Habs score lots of SHG.  I always think of the playoffs and them getting weak penalties, that they will score on.  I forget what year or team but I swear I've seen the refs put away their whistles in a series for that exact reason.  i.e. it was advantageous to the Habs so they stopped calling penalties. 

This is one of those games where the score is much more lopsided than the actual quality of the game.  Calgary's defence has stymied a lot of Montreal's opportunities yet the Habs have four on the board.  I'll give Montreal's defence some credit too as they haven't allowed many Grade A chances to the Flames either.

D has been good, mostly (Romanov was looking a bit panicked on one shift, though as they were unable to clear to puck). And only one penalty is a huge improvement over the first six games.