Nothing To Do With Anything

Trizzak

History was my favourite subject in school.

Me too, i'm still kinda bummed that i never studied History after that. I always wanted to but didnt cuz i thought i couldnt get a job in it. Well matter of fact, in logistics its also hard. So i instead of this, i better could have studied something i liked more...

History is the most important subject in school, but schools put more emphasis on math which is overrated. History and Geography should be the biggest focus in schools then Literature, Science and then Math.

Where do you get that from? You can go far more places with sciences and math under your belt than you can with geography or history. My uncle studied history of the Greeks, ancient civilizations, geography, he learned how to speak Greek and Latin, and learned all sorts of this stuff until he was in his forties. Then he realized it was all useless and the only job he could get was becoming a history teacher at Vanier (well, he was at Herzliah High School Snowdon Campus first). Actually, I think he's an english teacher at Vanier so he neevr even got to use any of that history. Does knowing about the Clear Grits party and teh coureurs de bois have any use whatsoever? Not unless you're going to be a history teacher, no. Math, science and literature open up a lot of doors.

I have a feeling th eonly reason why you're even saying this is because you're bad at math and science but love history and geography.

Where do you get that from? You can go far more places with sciences and math under your belt than you can with geography or history. My uncle studied history of the Greeks, ancient civilizations, geography, he learned how to speak Greek and Latin, and learned all sorts of this stuff until he was in his forties. Then he realized it was all useless and the only job he could get was becoming a history teacher at Vanier (well, he was at Herzliah High School Snowdon Campus first). Actually, I think he's an english teacher at Vanier so he neevr even got to use any of that history. Does knowing about the Clear Grits party and teh coureurs de bois have any use whatsoever? Not unless you're going to be a history teacher, no. Math, science and literature open up a lot of doors.

I have a feeling th eonly reason why you're even saying this is because you're bad at math and science but love history and geography.

I was actually good at science just not math.

Its called being a smarter citizen. And geography? Are you kidding? Without geography we would have no roads and your house you have wouldn't probably be where it is. Geography doesn't just mean the study of land forms and states and capitals. Its also the study of human behaviour in relation to world around them.

History. You need history to be a good public citizen. History repeats itself and if you don't learn about the past it will affect your future. Without the knowledge of history you will be a lemming in this global world where things half way across the world affect your daily life. Don't ever say that history is not important.

Um, that's what cultural anthropology is.

No it isn't. I just explained my career path.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urban_planning

Four historical traditions in geographical research are the spatial analysis of natural and human phenomena (geography as a study of distribution), area studies (places and regions), study of man-land relationship, and research in earth sciences.[2] Nonetheless, modern geography is an all-encompassing discipline that foremost seeks to understand the world and all of its human and natural complexities-- not merely where objects are, but how they have changed and come to be. As "the bridge between the human and physical sciences," geography is divided into two main branches - human geography and physical geography

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geography

hmmmm

Human Geography- is a branch of geography that focuses on the study of patterns and processes that shape human interaction with various environments. It encompasses human, political, cultural, social, and economic aspects.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geography#Human_geography

more hmmmmmm

It all sounds like anthropology to me. Studying objects to help us understand our past generations and how we've developed the things we have today. That's archeology, a field of anthropology. And your human geography is the same as cultural anthropology. Human behavior and interaction with each other and their environment, that's cultural anthropology.

well I've always seen the two subjects related.

Human Geography sort of combines that and sociology into one. Its a broad subject because it deals with city building and human emotions and what works and what doesn't etc. Its like a melting pot of three or four subjects. Just read any urban planning book and you'll think your reading something else like you said.

History. You need history to be a good public citizen. History repeats itself and if you don't learn about the past it will affect your future. Without the knowledge of history you will be a lemming in this global world where things half way across the world affect your daily life. Don't ever say that history is not important.

So if I don't know what the Quebec Act was my future will somehow be affected? No. Learning about the Holocaust or Darfur could be important. But not trivial facts learnt in history classes (it's not like we learn about the Holocause in History).

So if I don't know what the Quebec Act was my future will somehow be affected? No. Learning about the Holocaust or Darfur could be important. But not trivial facts learnt in history classes (it's not like we learn about the Holocause in History).

Yes because you live in a delicate province where people try to convince you to do things or support things that irrational and crazy. Its being a responsible citizen of the province of Quebec especially with the delicate issues it goes through.

You must be a responsible citizen. Or you'll get taken for a ride in the wrong direction. Especially in Quebec.

Yes because you live in a delicate province where people try to convince you to do things or support things that irrational and crazy. Its being a responsible citizen of the province of Quebec especially with the delicate issues it goes through.

You must be a responsible citizen. Or you'll get taken for a ride in the wrong direction. Especially in Quebec.

Responsible citizen? Face it, it's useless information that interested people can learn as a hobby to satisfy their hunger for knowledge. No one will know or judge you if you don't know who Louis Hebert was.

I like how PTG is telling BTH what happens in Quebec and how it works.

Which one of you live in Quebec again?

well if you're implying tha twhat he's saying isn't crazy....

Responsible citizen? Face it, it's useless information that interested people can learn as a hobby to satisfy their hunger for knowledge. No one will know or judge you if you don't know who Louis Hebert was.

Sorry bud but you live in Quebec. If you lived in Yukon then maybe it probably doesn't matter. But you live in Quebec. Quebec has issues that haven't been solved in hundreds of years because irrational people are running the province. Now are you going to just sit their and let this crap continue endless debate over shear schematics? Probably not your more interested in sports. But you need to know why your province is the way it is and what are the issues that plague it. Because the same issues people are fighting about were the same issues that were being talked about 100 plus years ago and so on. And until rational people say enough is enough and decide to take back the province from crazy people you will still have the same stupid problems 100 years from now. That's why you need to know your provincial and country history. So you can stop the madness. The more you let the subject slide the more you do a disservice to yourself and your country.

well if you're implying tha twhat he's saying isn't crazy....

I'm not saying what he's saying is right or wrong. It's the fact he's saying it like you don't already know that.

You live there for chrissakes.

Wow, this is so bloody ridiculous. Coming from someone with a strong background in humanities and an equally strong personal dislike for science and math, I would definitely have to agree that science and math should be the two areas most emphasized in high school. After that I would say English and then history. Don't get me wrong, history is definitely interesting and I would say it's important to know where you're coming from, but at the same time, it's like a luxury. To be a good public citizen as PTG put it, you really only need a broad, thus shallow, understanding of your "immediate history" (ie. provincial/national). And I think most high school history classes achieve that, or at least give their students the opportunity to achieve that. As for having to know geography in order to build roads and such, that's a ridiculous statement. In a society of highly specialized individuals, the average person does not need to know that. You leave the planning up to the planners and let them fly at it. I mean, that would be like saying that everyone should have a degree in computer science so that everyone would be able to fix their computers without any outside help. In modern-day North America, complete self-sufficiency is archaic and unnecessary.

It all sounds like anthropology to me. Studying objects to help us understand our past generations and how we've developed the things we have today. That's archeology, a field of anthropology. And your human geography is the same as cultural anthropology. Human behavior and interaction with each other and their environment, that's cultural anthropology.

Yeah pretty much. I've taken two anthropology courses before.

Wow, this is so bloody ridiculous. Coming from someone with a strong background in humanities and an equally strong personal dislike for science and math, I would definitely have to agree that science and math should be the two areas most emphasized in high school. After that I would say English and then history. Don't get me wrong, history is definitely interesting and I would say it's important to know where you're coming from, but at the same time, it's like a luxury. To be a good public citizen as PTG put it, you really only need a broad, thus shallow, understanding of your "immediate history" (ie. provincial/national). And I think most high school history classes achieve that, or at least give their students the opportunity to achieve that. As for having to know geography in order to build roads and such, that's a ridiculous statement. In a society of highly specialized individuals, the average person does not need to know that. You leave the planning up to the planners and let them fly at it. I mean, that would be like saying that everyone should have a degree in computer science so that everyone would be able to fix their computers without any outside help. In modern-day North America, complete self-sufficiency is archaic and unnecessary.

Yeah pretty much. I've taken two anthropology courses before.

hmm really? How many Canadians can name the people on their money? Or name the capital of their country?

And in order to be a planner you need geography so if you don't introduce people into geography of the human form early on you won't get those planners which means you won't get that road or a neighbourhood built properly and not just sprawl like I live in.

A dumb and oblivious public is bad for society.

hmm really? How many Canadians can name the people on their money? Or name the capital of their country?

And in order to be a planner you need geography so if you don't introduce people into geography of the human form early on you won't get those planners which means you won't get that road or a neighbourhood built properly and not just sprawl like I live in.

A dumb and oblivious public is bad for society.

You mean Toronto isn't the capital city of Canada? :blink:

And I'm pretty sure that most high schools offer geography, which allows interested students to get a taste of it. Not to mention that Social Studies (what history is called in BC up to Grade 11) incorporates geography into the curriculum.

School's out!!!

And PTG I say leave all that to the politicians. The average person should know the basics but no one needs to know the details, or anything at all, really.

You mean Toronto isn't the capital city of Canada? :blink:

And I'm pretty sure that most high schools offer geography, which allows interested students to get a taste of it. Not to mention that Social Studies (what history is called in BC up to Grade 11) incorporates geography into the curriculum.

I always loved geography until we started learning it in school. I used to have fun memorizing countries and capital cities and stuff like that back when I was in elementary school. But then we started learning about relief (the french word) and that took all the fun out of it. Also, we mostly learned it in French so it made the subject a lot harder for me.

I've been to PTG HEAVEN!!

The city i live in also hosts 3 teams for the WC Softball for women Juniors (thats also 19 years old ;) )

And i had to drive to my own town today to get those 3 teams (the leaders) and guess what the 3 teams are :D

China/Japan and Chinese Taipei

The hottest ladies so far come from Russia (and some cute italians)

I've seen the teams China/Japan/Chinese Taipei/Argentina/Venezuela/Russia/Germany

I've been to PTG HEAVEN!!

The city i live in also hosts 3 teams for the WC Softball for women Juniors (thats also 19 years old ;) )

And i had to drive to my own town today to get those 3 teams (the leaders) and guess what the 3 teams are :D

China/Japan and Chinese Taipei

The hottest ladies so far come from Russia (and some cute italians)

I've seen the teams China/Japan/Chinese Taipei/Argentina/Venezuela/Russia/Germany

lucky bastard !!

lucky bastard !!

Yeah in a within 20 minutes the tournement starts with Germany - Holland. And tomorrow there will be a lot of games, and because of the fact that there are a lot of drivers and you dont have to drive the whole time, i can see a lot of action ;)

Today i watched the Russians practice, also nice :D

Things can be seen here

http://www.wksoftbaljunioren2007.nl

http://www.wksoftbaljunioren2007.nl/webcam