Jump to content

Habs hire Martin St-Louis as their 28th Head Coach


 Share

Recommended Posts

51 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

 

You mean, "why would anyone who doesn't speak French want to [be] part of the coaching staff or management staff?"

 

And it is ONLY the head coach and GM of whom bilingualism is required. For anyone else, it can be a fantastic opportunity.

If I go for a job interview for a coaching position and I'm not French and the gm tells me if I work hard and have success i could end up coaching the big club.... I know his full of shit and it will never happen.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

If I go for a job interview for a coaching position and I'm not French and the gm tells me if I work hard and have success i could end up coaching the big club.... I know his full of shit and it will never happen.

 

Ok, but that doesn't mean that you will never get a head coach job.  Look at Kirk Muller. 

 

If you make your name as an assistant, you will still see HC jobs open up even if its not Montreal. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We will know a little more today after the PC. Lets not forget that Richardson is a very capable bench boss. He has shown on multiple occasions that he can run the team (did a better job than DD in the playoffs I thought), so as for the technical aspect of the game, I don't think there's a huge concern with St Louis as coach, at least for the remainder of this season.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Very impressive press conference. Marty said enough to reassure me

 

I hope he delivers on the expectations he has set for himself 

 

Go Habs Go !!!

 

now go and win two in a row :) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That would be simply awesome if Caufield, for any reason, starting hitting the net more and getting that Gorilla off his back today, in part, because of St Louis pep talk.:pray:

(the last bit, just to prod CC in the back a bit about his seeming dislike for MSL hire:P)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

... Marty said enough to reassure me ...

 

What I especially liked was his preference for "concepts" rather than a "system" ... seems more adaptable in-game ... might even be easier to get players to buy-in.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Despite voicing my skepticism with the hiring of Marty, I agree with Engels: 

 

:habslogo::habslogo::habslogo:

Go Habs Go !!!

:habslogo::habslogo::habslogo:

 

I am a Habs fan first, and I want the team to be successful in the post-Bergevin era

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A french version of Kirk Muller is what i thought of (with all the glowing remarks about St Louis); who everyone seems to love, as a person, but as a coach just doesnt have "it".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, huzer said:

Not gonna lie, wish St. Louis woulda been my son's peewee coach this year.

... would have scored free game tickets, eh?!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

... would have scored free game tickets, eh?!

 

He has had one former NHLer as a coach, Peter Sejna. not quite as decorated as MSL, but quite an intense coach!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't mind this hiring for coach.  Great NHL players have often not worked out as coach (Gretzky certainly didn't), perhaps because the game came to easy to them and they couldn't relate to players that have to struggle a bit however St. Louis had to really battle to make it, I think the players will respect him for what he accomplished and how hard he had to work to get there.  I like this hiring better than if they hired the safe, been around the block many times sort of coach.  Obviously St. Louis has a lot of work to do and a lot to learn  but I think he will relate well to the younger players and I think Caulfield will really benefit from him being the coach.  I think he has already. 

 

And alfredo please don't start a "When will they fire St. Louis" thread if the Habs lose a few in a row. He doesn't have a lot to work with right now. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes, even as an interim, just glad not a retread like Carboneau.

 

Let’s call it what it is… For two men in key positions like that to start their career in a market like Montreal a few weeks apart is less than ideal. The last time the Canadiens’ organisation did that was back in 1995, when then President Ronald Corey fired GM Serge Savard and head coach Jacques Demers to replace them by Réjean Houle and Mario Tremblay respectively."

 

I wonder how that move turned out?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, DON said:

Yes, even as an interim, just glad not a retread like Carboneau.

 

Let’s call it what it is… For two men in key positions like that to start their career in a market like Montreal a few weeks apart is less than ideal. The last time the Canadiens’ organisation did that was back in 1995, when then President Ronald Corey fired GM Serge Savard and head coach Jacques Demers to replace them by Réjean Houle and Mario Tremblay respectively."

 

I wonder how that move turned out?

 

I don't get that comparison?  Rejean Houle was ill equipped to be GM,  Gorton/Hughes (no offence to Reggie who I liked as a player)  have far more savvy for dealing with the situation the Habs are in.  After watching the press conference yesterday I am further convinced that Gorton/Hughes are the right people. I also think St. Louis might turn out to be a diamond in the rough for developing young players.  We will see. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I don't mind this hiring for coach.  Great NHL players have often not worked out as coach (Gretzky certainly didn't), perhaps because the game came to easy to them and they couldn't relate to players that have to struggle a bit however St. Louis had to really battle to make it, I think the players will respect him for what he accomplished and how hard he had to work to get there.  I like this hiring better than if they hired the safe, been around the block many times sort of coach.  Obviously St. Louis has a lot of work to do and a lot to learn  but I think he will relate well to the younger players and I think Caulfield will really benefit from him being the coach.  I think he has already. 

 

And alfredo please don't start a "When will they fire St. Louis" thread if the Habs lose a few in a row. He doesn't have a lot to work with right now. 

what about the "when will St. Louis win two in a row" thread?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

what about the "when will St. Louis win two in a row" thread?

 

 

Bad news bud.

 

Gorton and Hughes found out you were taking shots at them on this board. 

 

They have instructed St. Louis to never win two in a row as your punishment.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Commandant said:

 

Bad news bud.

 

Gorton and Hughes found out you were taking shots at them on this board. 

 

They have instructed St. Louis to never win two in a row as your punishment.

As If GIFs | Tenor

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Commandant said:

 

Bad news bud.

 

Gorton and Hughes found out you were taking shots at them on this board. 

 

They have instructed St. Louis to never win two in a row as your punishment.

 

Habs don't need to win 2 in a row anyway. Just the odd win here and there (Toronto and Boston would be nice) to keep morale up.  No point in "team tank" going off the rails. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

 

Habs don't need to win 2 in a row anyway. Just the odd win here and there (Toronto and Boston would be nice) to keep morale up.  No point in "team tank" going off the rails. 

 

agreed.  I'll sacrifice seeing that ugly face til the start of next season for shane wright. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...