Apr. 5, Senators vs Habs, 7 PM

dlbalr

Good game, feels like pre-season for the 2022-2023 season

Barron is legit, top-4 prospect. Great addition to the Habs

Ylonen is really good, love his potential

Some veterans are keeping themselves for next season

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

... Ylonen is really good, love his potential ...

So far I see him as a 4th liner, borderline 3rd liner ... but the perfect contract profile that the team needs.

... Some veterans are keeping themselves for next season

If they are playing well enough to earn a spot next season they are also playing well enough to be traded for more near(er) ready prospects to expedite the rebuild ... over the summer and next season the Habs need to move a significant amount of cap hit to give HuGo the cap flexibility to finish restructuring the roster in the next 2-3 years.

Some may be playing poorly enough to require them to be kept next season, not as good an option.

12 hours ago, Neech said:

Gally called out Stutzle's antics:

At first I rolled my eyes at Gally doing this to an opposing player during an abysmal season, but after reading the quote I think he did it the right way and didn't go too far or resort to too many old school platitudes.

IMO it was hardly a fake ... certainly not at a Claude Lemieux level ... at his age Stubble may well have been lucky enough to not have experienced such a hit and the initial panic/fear would be very understandable ... and/or if he has had previous knee issues the concern of the unknown result justify concern.

5 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Barron is legit, top-4 prospect. Great addition to the Habs

Could be, but he has only played 5 games, so why make such quick pronouncement?

5 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Ylonen is really good, love his potential

Love his speed and seems smart player so far.

Lots kids come in an play well for short stretches (Mete, Leblanc, Lehkonen, Beaulieu) then we find out they are not consistent or cant defend or like Lehkonen/Eller they just dont have much offense.

But like what Barron/Harris/Ylonen have shown so far, for sure.

Barron was a legit top 4 prospect before he was traded to the Habs.  Its not just 5 games.  The kid was good enough to be fully deserving of a first round pick and has played well in the NHL.

Is he a for sure future top 4? No... hence the word "prospect".

But he legit has that top 4 potential.

24 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Barron was a legit top 4 prospect before he was traded to the Habs.  Its not just 5 games.  The kid was good enough to be fully deserving of a first round pick and has played well in the NHL.

Is he a for sure future top 4? No... hence the word "prospect".

But he legit has that top 4 potential.

exactly, you picked up on "prospect" :)

yes, what is what I meant. both kids looked solid. For some reason, I have a feeling Barron has a higher ceiling than Harris :spamafote:

exactly, you picked up on "prospect" :)

yes, what is what I meant. both kids looked solid. For some reason, I have a feeling Barron has a higher ceiling than Harris :spamafote:

Looked solid in the 5 games yes agree.

But, this fella's take is what i kinda mean:

"I think Barron’s starting to get a bit overrated since the trade.  He’s not a blue-chip, can’t-miss prospect.  He’s trending upwards and there’s a lot to be excited about but he is a complementary player in terms of his skill set.  I’ve seen comments where some feel he’s a high-end piece and Barron isn’t that.  He looks like a steady two-way defender that can slot in on a second pairing.  There’s a lot of value in that and with him filling a big organizational need, it’s a very nice pickup for Montreal but let’s keep expectations in check."

Just seems we Hab fans tend to always get too high or lofty expectations for any good looking prospect, thats all.

Dont care he was picked in 1st round, dosent mean a whole lot and he wasnt lghting up the AHL in offense, but was doing well defending, which is likely a step up from Kulak at least. 

Lets not put cart before horse for all these kids please.:pray:

1 minute ago, DON said:

"I think Barron’s starting to get a bit overrated since the trade.  He’s not a blue-chip, can’t-miss prospect.  He’s trending upwards and there’s a lot to be excited about but he is a complementary player in terms of his skill set.  I’ve seen comments where some feel he’s a high-end piece and Barron isn’t that.  He looks like a steady two-way defender that can slot in on a second pairing.  There’s a lot of value in that and with him filling a big organizational need, it’s a very nice pickup for Montreal but let’s keep expectations in check."

Just seems we Hab fans tend to always get too high or lofty expectations for any good looking prospect, thats all.

Dont care he was picked in 1st round, dosent mean a whole lot and he wasnt lghting up the AHL in offense, but was doing well defending, which is likely a step up from Kulak at least. 

Well, He is a big kid with fluid skating and a hard shot

He also has poise with the puck on the offensive zone

He has fared in the 5 games than Petry, to me he is a step up from Petry who was a second pair RD at his peak

Barron is not even close to being at his peak, but looks promising 

16 minutes ago, DON said:

Second pairing D men are complementary pieces.  You can't build your team around them but you need them to succeed.

14 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Well, He is a big kid with fluid skating and a hard shot

He also has poise with the puck on the offensive zone

He has fared in the 5 games than Petry, to me he is a step up from Petry who was a second pair RD at his peak

Barron is not even close to being at his peak, but looks promising 

Petry is a #2 D man, or first pairing, at his peak.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Who are going to be the top-pairing guys on a future contender? Hard to win without a legit #1 d-man.

These type of Dmen can be found high in the draft but weve also seen mid first rounders (karlsson)... 2nd rounders (subban, weber, duncan keith, roman josi) 3rds (Fox) and even guys who were given up on and in the KHL (giordano) be in the norris conversation, and many of thise won one.  Like goalies, this is an area where if you have a large quantity of quality pieces, one can emerge as elite.  

Compare that to Centres. Far fewer elite Cs come out at the bottom of the first round or later.

Given where we are likely to pick... im in favour of C with the Habs pick and D with the flames pick or second rounder.

Keep.putting high talent prospects like Guhle, Barron, Harris, Romanov, Maillouxn Norlinder in the system and you never know.  For the McDonagh and Subban we had in our system we also had Yannick Weber, David Fisher, Mathieu Carle, Alexei Emelin, Nathan Beaulieu and others with varying levels of success in those years.  The thing is when that one hits... you are in really good shape.

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, Commandant said:

These type of Dmen can be found high in the draft but weve also seen mid first rounders (karlsson)... 2nd rounders (subban, weber, duncan keith, roman josi) 3rds (Fox) and even guys who were given up on and in the KHL (giordano) be in the norris conversation, and many of thise won one.  Like goalies, this is an area where if you have a large quantity of quality pieces, one can emerge as elite.  

Compare that to Centres. Far fewer elite Cs come out at the bottom of the first round or later.

Given where we are likely to pick... im in favour of C with the Habs pick and D with the flames pick or second rounder.

Keep.putting high talent prospects like Guhle, Barron, Harris, Romanov, Maillouxn Norlinder in the system and you never know.  For the McDonagh and Subban we had in our system we also had Yannick Weber, David Fisher, Mathieu Carle, Alexei Emelin, Nathan Beaulieu and others with varying levels of success in those years.  The thing is when that one hits... you are in really good shape.

except for right D

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Who are going to be the top-pairing guys on a future contender? Hard to win without a legit #1 d-man.

Simon Nemec

2021-22 Team: HK Nitra (Slovakia)
Date of Birth: Feb.15, 2004
Place of Birth: Liptovsky Mikulas, SVK
Ht: 6-foot-1 Wt: 192 pounds
Shoots: R
Position: D
NHL Draft Eligibility: 2022 first-year eligible

May be one?

28 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Id rather take the centres that are gonna be available.... wright, cooley, geekie, savoie, 

Nemec has risen steadily this year in the rankings and almost every site I have looked at has him ranked well ahead of Geekie, doesn't mean they are right.  My concern with Savoie is his concussion history. 

38 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Id rather take the centres that are gonna be available.... wright, cooley, geekie, savoie, 

Sure, but is this kid top pairing prospect, with #1 upside, .on whatever team picks him?

He just seemed the top d-man in draft, i dont know his play at all, on paper seems promising.

9 minutes ago, Neech said:

I'd prefer to get a stud C in this draft, but as always I'll take BPA. Don't want another KK debacle.

I would also prefer to get a stud C with "stud" being the key part of the equation. If Wright, Cooley and Slafkovsky are all gone then Nemec may very well be the BPA but I am certainly no scout, just going by the clips I have seen and the ratings I have read. 

9 minutes ago, Neech said:

I'd prefer to get a stud C in this draft, but as always I'll take BPA. Don't want another KK debacle.

After May 16, we hope choice will be a no brainer.:pray: