Game #78 - Habs vs Flyers - April 21, 2022

GHT120

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Price starting ...

The question is becoming when will Price decide to take a game off?

With Allen out and Montembeault playing/available through an injury that has been rumoured to require minor surgery whenever his season is done, it wouldn't shock me if he wants all the games ... the games are every second night, except vs NYR which is on a third night, so barring any negative reaction injury-wise he would seem capable of doing it.

27 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

After grinding Allen to a halt, we now want the same for Price?

Marty knows better, right?

Not certain that a maximum of 7 games in 15 days, no back-to-backs, to end the season constitutes "grinding" ... ***NOT*** suggesting it is necessarily a good idea but could see Price wanting to do it ... and if he remains healthy I suspect they would let him if he asks.

• Upvote 1

Just now, GHT120 said:

Not certain that a maximum of 7 games in 15 days, no back-to-backs, to end the season constitutes "grinding" ... ***NOT*** suggesting it is necessarily a good idea but could see Price wanting to do it ... and if he remains healthy I suspect they would let him if he asks.

Agree, let him play every game, if knee cant handle it, better to find out now...isnt it?

40 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

After grinding Allen to a halt, we now want the same for Price?

Marty knows better, right?

I don't know what constitutes "grinding". Jake Allen played 35 games this year. This will be Carey Price's 2nd game in 3 days. If he can't handle that then he certainly won't be of interest to anyone else.  

It comes down to his knee. If it's fine, and there's no issues, then why the heck not throw him out there. I'm sure he wants to play, and good as he is, it probably won't ruin the tank, given that we can't score.

20 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I don't know what constitutes "grinding". Jake Allen played 35 games this year. This will be Carey Price's 2nd game in 3 days. If he can't handle that then he certainly won't be of interest to anyone else.  

They played Allen game after game when he returned from injury and he saw a lot of rubber in those games: thus, « grind »

I hope Price wins and that Lavallagher scores

I hope Clague has a good game, I hope he shows he is improving despite not playing much

33 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

... I hope Clague has a good game, I hope he shows he is improving despite not playing much

After a bit of a d-zone miscue early-ish in the game the RDS guys were commenting that they didn't know what his future was with the habs, or in the NHL ... that he has all the tools but just doesn't seem to be able to put them together when he gets a chance.

1 minute ago, GHT120 said:

After a bit of a d-zone miscue early-ish in the game the RDS guys were commenting that they didn't know what his future was with the habs, or in the NHL ... that he has all the tools but just doesn't seem to be able to put them together when he gets a chance.

Another example of a player with "tools" but no "toolbox". 

5 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Price starting, players really want to score for him, Habs due to score some goals.  Certainly not a guaranteed win but as close as you will get with this Habs team.  I predict a 6-2 Habs win. 

So far so good, I have nailed the 2 goals for Philly, just need to work on the 6 for Montreal now. 

7 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

So far so good, I have nailed the 2 goals for Philly, just need to work on the 6 for Montreal now. 

They have already scored infinitely more goals for Price than in his first two games back!

What's the old saying that Rem Pitlick should try heeding - if at first you don't succeed, try shooting the puck?  Three good shooting opportunities, three missed passes.

I'm a little stumped on how Hoffman's goal counted, Rule 38.2 appears to allow for a challenge for a play like that:

Missed Game Stoppage Event in the Offensive Zone Leading to a Goal

A play that results in a “GOAL” call on the ice where the defending team claims that the play should have been stopped by reason of any play occurring in the offensive zone that should have resulted in a play stoppage caused by the attacking team but did not.

A glove pass in the offensive zone is a play that would result in a play stoppage.

After all the goals that Gallagher has had cancelled the Habs get away with one that should not have counted.

25 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I'm a little stumped on how Hoffman's goal counted, Rule 38.2 appears to allow for a challenge for a play like that:

Missed Game Stoppage Event in the Offensive Zone Leading to a Goal

A play that results in a “GOAL” call on the ice where the defending team claims that the play should have been stopped by reason of any play occurring in the offensive zone that should have resulted in a play stoppage caused by the attacking team but did not.

A glove pass in the offensive zone is a play that would result in a play stoppage.

Is that a different challenge from the coach's challenge? Or is that just one of the valid arguments for a coach's challenge?

8 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Is that a different challenge from the coach's challenge? Or is that just one of the valid arguments for a coach's challenge?

image.png

And I think we are back at the defensive breakdowns again. This time it's Price in net, and not at his sharpest, but the D corps is giving up all kinds of opportunities, too.

2 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Thanks! I suppose the refs felt it was not a deliberate passing motion?

The refs clearly forgot the rule.

This wasnt a reviewable play in 2018-19 when the sharks scored a game 3 OT winner against st. Louis on a hand pass.  But after that series it changed.

7 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

This hasn't been a pretty game by any stretch but with neither team being interested in defence, it has been an interesting one at least.

Definitely more so than the last one.