Summer 2023 Off-season

DON

12 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

He will be the highest paid player until McDavid's contract comes up. I think the Mathews deal is pretty fair, he was in a great bargaining position and probably could have got a little more but I think he wants to win a cup in Toronto. Nylander will be the tough one to sign, wouldn't be surprised to see a trade there. 

I was a bit surprised at his obvious preference for medium-term deals, but I suppose he will still get a huge payday at 30. And probably he figures the current Leafs core will be past it by then. 

I always really liked Nylander as a player, but the Leafs’ decision to sign him to a huge contract back when he was holding out years ago puzzled me at the time. Trading him would have been a way to balance out their roster by getting back an impact D-man. Now they probably have to let him go anyway. 🤷‍♂️ I’d love to see him as a Hab, but am not naive enough to think that’s realistic.

38 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I was a bit surprised at his obvious preference for medium-term deals, but I suppose he will still get a huge payday at 30. And probably he figures the current Leafs core will be past it by then.

I think his chances at getting a final big contract at 30 are much better than trying to get that at 33.

Nylander ... it would be nice, but at what cost? We would definitely end up back in full-year LTIR territory with Price's contract still on the books.

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I always really liked Nylander as a player, but the Leafs’ decision to sign him to a huge contract back when he was holding out years ago puzzled me at the time. Trading him would have been a way to balance out their roster by getting back an impact D-man. Now they probably have to let him go anyway. 🤷‍♂️ I’d love to see him as a Hab, but am not naive enough to think that’s realistic.

Of the "Core 4" Nylander's contract is the biggest bargain (And probably only bargain) of the bunch.  The others may be fair value, but Nylander's deal ended up being down right cheap for the leafs.  His cap hit has only been $6.9 million per season, which given his production has been good value, and likely why he wants a big contract now. 

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Of the "Core 4" Nylander's contract is the biggest bargain (And probably only bargain) of the bunch.  The others may be fair value, but Nylander's deal ended up being down right cheap for the leafs.  His cap hit has only been $6.9 million per season, which given his production has been good value, and likely why he wants a big contract now. 

No doubt, 6.9M for a guy who has scored 80+ points the last 2 years and has been a point/game in the playoffs is very good value. He will be getting a nice raise from somebody. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

No doubt, 6.9M for a guy who has scored 80+ points the last 2 years and has been a point/game in the playoffs is very good value. He will be getting a nice raise from somebody. 

If Leafs arnt going to (cant afford to) sign him, i imagine they will want to recoup some value at some point this season, so he wont be hitting free agency as a leaf, will he? 

1 hour ago, DON said:

If Leafs arnt going to (cant afford to) sign him, i imagine they will want to recoup some value at some point this season, so he wont be hitting free agency as a leaf, will he? 

Seems like a tricky trade to execute, though. They’re contenders, so they need to get equivalent talent back, right? If they deal him for high picks and prospects, that helps their future, but it’s not so good for “win now” mode. Yet the win-now talent they get back has to be significantly cheaper than what they’d pay Nylander. Why would a trade partner make that deal, then?

Maybe Winnipeg and Scheifle? That could fit both teams’ needs, perhaps. I am assuming Scheifle will be cheaper than Nylander, which would be the case in a world that makes sense (but then again, this is the NHL).

13 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Maybe Winnipeg and Scheifle? That could fit both teams’ needs, perhaps. I am assuming Scheifle will be cheaper than Nylander, which would be the case in a world that makes sense (but then again, this is the NHL).

Nylander has a 10-team NTC ... I would be shocked if Winnipeg isn't on it.

But still, Leafs wont let him walk for nothing will they? 

Wouldnt they try and maybe get a cheaper d-man or what not at deadline or some point this season?

43 minutes ago, DON said:

But still, Leafs wont let him walk for nothing will they? 

Wouldnt they try and maybe get a cheaper d-man or what not at deadline or some point this season?

They'll get something, yes. A one-year rental has limited value--maybe for a contender that has the cap space, if such a team exists--but they could try to engineer a sign-and-trade, like Winnipeg did with Dubois. In that scenario, too, it will be a small number of teams that Nylander would want to sign with, so the value the Leafs will get will be substantially less than another Nylander-level player.

13 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Nylander has a 10-team NTC ... I would be shocked if Winnipeg isn't on it.

His dad backed out of a deal he signed to go to Edmonton. I can’t see the the son willing to go to Frigidipeg.

12 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I'm not sure they trade him.  Matthews new contract is only a 1.6 million raise on his current deal and with the cap rising, they may be able to keep all 4. 

Nylander is at just under $7M AAV currently, only about half of Matthews' new contract, so I expect he'll need a substantial raise, too.

But you may be right, if they cut corners elsewhere to make space for Nylander.

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

Nylander is at just under $7M AAV currently, only about half of Matthews' new contract, so I expect he'll need a substantial raise, too.

But you may be right, if they cut corners elsewhere to make space for Nylander.

Brodie is in his last year and unlikely to be re-signed.  Murray will also be off the books.  They can cut some other corners too if they choose.

10 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Seems like a tricky trade to execute, though. They’re contenders, so they need to get equivalent talent back, right? If they deal him for high picks and prospects, that helps their future, but it’s not so good for “win now” mode. Yet the win-now talent they get back has to be significantly cheaper than what they’d pay Nylander. Why would a trade partner make that deal, then?

Then Schiefele either needs a big extension or walks for free.

If the idea in trading Nylander is that you don't want to lose him for free and cant afford an extension, i dont get why the leafs make such a trade.  It solves no problems and just switches Nylander into an older and lesser player.  If thats the deal, Leafs are better off just keeping Nylander as their own playoff rental even if they cant re-sign him, and as i said above, they still might re-sign.

12 hours ago, Commandant said:

Then Schiefele either needs a big extension or walks for free.

If the idea in trading Nylander is that you don't want to lose him for free and cant afford an extension, i dont get why the leafs make such a trade.  It solves no problems and just switches Nylander into an older and lesser player.  If thats the deal, Leafs are better off just keeping Nylander as their own playoff rental even if they cant re-sign him, and as i said above, they still might re-sign.

Well, my assumption (which could be wrong) is that Schiefle can be signed more cheaply than Nylander - that's why they'd consider such a move. Nylander certainly has more value that Scheifle, so in a market that makes sense, Scheifle would be cheaper.

My further assumption are

1. that losing Nylander would represent a step back for a team in Win Now mode; and

2. that they can't afford to lock up Nylander.

In other words, they'd be looking to replace Nylander with an impact FW. 

Perhaps the Leafs will find other options to do so, e.g., a UFA, or they sign him through carving out economies elsewhere.

It's probably true that Nylander wouldn't go to the Peg anyway, though.

Well, my assumption (which could be wrong) is that Schiefle can be signed more cheaply than Nylander - that's why they'd consider such a move. Nylander certainly has more value that Scheifle, so in a market that makes sense, Scheifle would be cheaper.

My further assumption are

1. that losing Nylander would represent a step back for a team in Win Now mode; and

2. that they can't afford to lock up Nylander.

In other words, they'd be looking to replace Nylander with an impact FW. 

Even if Nylander were willing to accept a trade, unless it is a double sign&trade I don't see Winnipeg making the deal because they could get more in terms of long-term assets for Schiefle in another trade.

Even in in a double sign&trade, unless TO feels that MS improves their team I'm not certain that they would "sacrifice" this season simply to have a lesser asset for the long-term.

Perhaps the Leafs will find other options to do so, e.g., a UFA, or they sign him through carving out economies elsewhere.

The assumption these days seems to be that the cap will go up $4M next summer ... Matthews new contract is only a $1.61M increase ... AND ... the Leaves currently only have 12 contracts for the 24/25 season, with $33.4M in cap space ($37.4 with the assumed bump) ... next summer is the opportunity for the Leaves to rebuild their roster ... especially on defence where only O'Rielly, McCabe and Timmins have contracts ... I expect that Nylander gets re-signed unless he wants near-Matthews money ... I'll make a wild guess at 3-4 years for $10.25 AAV.

R.I.P. Yvon ... thoughts to his family and friends.

Logan Mailloux, Xavier Simoneau, William Trudeau, Joshua Roy and Riley Kidney spent much of the summer at Brossard training with Nick Suzuki, Kaiden Guhle, Juraj Slafkovsky and Arber Xhekaj.  Cole Caufield and Josh Anderson dropped by occasionally to join them.

- Journal de Montreal, Plusieurs recrues du Canadien ont passé l’été à Montréal (my translation)

Francis Bouillon, Habs development coach, had suggested the youngsters do it ... although teams cannot require players to train over the summer, the Habs were able to make their facilities and resources available to the players ... including Adam Nicholas (director of hockey development) and Scott Pellerin (hockey development consultant), as well as the on-site chefs/nutritionists.

1 hour ago, DON said:

Sounds very good, but wonder tis a long season, so can there be too much training off-season?

How good will this fellow get? Imagine his PK time will increase with Eddy gone.

2023 Montreal Canadiens Top 25 Under 25: #4 Kaiden Guhle (habseyesontheprize.com)

I expect Bouillon would have been advising them on the training so am not too worried about it.

Top 25--that leaves Caufield, Dach and Suzuki for the top three spots.