2023 draft, Pick 5: David Reinbacher

tomh009

On 7/25/2023 at 12:28 PM, Commandant said:

Harris has never been a big scorer.  Hes a smart defender and can move the puck through the neutral zone but hes not going to be a scorer.  He will always be underrated like Kulak was 

Well, Harris was the only rookie dman last year to have a multi goal game.  In the last 30 years only 3 other Habs rookie dman have had a multi goal game.  The others were Subban, Markov, and Schneider.  Therefore, I think Harris will be in a similar goal range and could potentially score 10-15 g/yr.  

Subban Markov were 1st PP QBs. Dont think Harris will see that amount of icetime and opportunity, at least for next couple years at least.

But, Harris seems a very smart player and hope to see he and Kovacevic are a steady pairing this season. Both seem bit underrated.

2 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Well, Harris was the only rookie dman last year to have a multi goal game.  In the last 30 years only 3 other Habs rookie dman have had a multi goal game.  The others were Subban, Markov, and Schneider.  Therefore, I think Harris will be in a similar goal range and could potentially score 10-15 g/yr.  

Ryan Poehling scored a hattrick in his first NHL game. How's being an NHL scorer working out for him?

This is why we don't project off of a single game.  Its the ultimate in small sample size and using it to project him as a double digit scorer is really, really, really misguided and very poor analysis. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Commandant said:

Ryan Poehling scored a hattrick in his first NHL game. How's being an NHL scorer working out for him?

This is why we don't project off of a single game.  Its the ultimate in small sample size and using it to project him as a double digit scorer is really, really, really misguided and very poor analysis. 

Poehling-mania might have been THE single dumbest manifestation of Habs fandom I've seen in my lifetime. We had people - including on this site (!) if memory serves - penciling him in as a sure-fire top-6 C. Based on one freak game in March. 🙄 That phenomenon was a standing rebuttal to the idea that Habs fans are, as a collectivity, unusually "knowledgable."

Harris is a bright young man who could conceivably become a Dan Hamhuis type, but he is no Markov or Subban.

• Like 2

Harris played 65 games and had four goals... instead of looking at one game where he had two... what about the two goals he scored in the remaining 64 games, and how does that make him a big time scoring threat?

13 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Poehling-mania might have been THE single dumbest manifestation of Habs fandom I've seen in my lifetime. We had people - including on this site (!) if memory serves - penciling him in as a sure-fire top-6 C. Based on one freak game in March. 🙄 

I think that is a slight exaggeration. I admit I was one of those that thought Poehling would turn out to be better than he did. I thought he would be an excellent 3rd line center able to score 15-20 goals a year. He never did get there. I never thought he would be a 30-40 goal scorer. 

And my opinion wasn't based on 1 game. He was also MVP at the world junior tournament but you seem to have conveniently forgot about that. I guess it didn't fit your narrative. 

On 7/27/2023 at 1:32 PM, DON said:

Subban Markov were 1st PP QBs. Dont think Harris will see that amount of icetime and opportunity, at least for next couple years at least.

But, Harris seems a very smart player and hope to see he and Kovacevic are a steady pairing this season. Both seem bit underrated.

True, I don't expect Harris to see much PP time given that they have more offensively gifted young defensemen coming up, maybe the odd PP shift as a 2nd pairing guy. 

Harris scored 17 points in 65 games last year which projects as 21 points in 82 games, not bad for a rookie. I expect his point total to go up a bit as the Habs offense improves perhaps reaching 30 points in a good year, certainly not Subban/Markov territory.

I think Harris does a lot of things well but doesn't excel at any one thing. I seem him as a smart dependable 4/5 guy who moves the puck well. He may become expendable given all the young defensemen on the left side especially if Hutson continues to develop. 

• Like 2

… or he may further develop his game yet, making someone else expendable.

This is the exciting thing, we don’t have all our hopes based on a single draft pick, we actually have a lot of strong prospects, especially on D.

3 hours ago, tomh009 said:

… or he may further develop his game yet, making someone else expendable.

This is the exciting thing, we don’t have all our hopes based on a single draft pick, we actually have a lot of strong prospects, especially on D.

Assume at least 1 young LH-d will get dealt, given Hutson-Engstrom likely will join Laval/Habs next season (or next spring), Who will it be? Guhle, Harris, Engstrom?... kinda doubt would be Matheson, Xhekaj or Hutson.

Canadiens: Shades of '93 With Young Defense Corps (awinninghabit.com)

"At the start of the 1990-91 season, the Habs defensive group consisted of Eric Desjardins, Mathieu Schneider, Petr Svoboda, Sylvain Lefebvre, J.J. Daigneault, Donald Dufresne, Alain Cote, Gerald Diduck, Patrice Brisebois and Lyle Odelein. "

17 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I think that is a slight exaggeration. I admit I was one of those that thought Poehling would turn out to be better than he did. I thought he would be an excellent 3rd line center able to score 15-20 goals a year. He never did get there. I never thought he would be a 30-40 goal scorer. 

And my opinion wasn't based on 1 game. He was also MVP at the world junior tournament but you seem to have conveniently forgot about that. I guess it didn't fit your narrative. 

Peace, brother - I wasn’t singling you our specifically. 

I think it was reasonable to see Poehling as a decent prospect, maybe even someone who could grow into a #2C eventually. (Those failed hopes, of course, are why I generally avoid getting excited about prospects until I see them in the NHL for a while. There have been a thousand Poehlings in the post-1993 era, all of whom came to zilch).

What was saying is that, after the hat trick game, there was a huge burst of excitement around him as a prospect that carried over well into the summer. People were saying things like, ‘we don’t need a C now, we have Poehling!’ and pencilling him in, not merely as a promising prospect, but as someone who would step in and have this huge impact next season. That’s the sort of insanity I was referring to. It was ludicrous. Didn’t mean to suggest that YOU said such things. I can’t recall, but I’m sure you didn’t.

24 minutes ago, DON said:

Assume at least 1 young LH-d will get dealt, given Hutson-Engstrom likely will join Laval/Habs next season (or next spring), Who will it be? Guhle, Harris, Engstrom?... kinda doubt would be Matheson, Xhekaj or Hutson.

Canadiens: Shades of '93 With Young Defense Corps (awinninghabit.com)

"At the start of the 1990-91 season, the Habs defensive group consisted of Eric Desjardins, Mathieu Schneider, Petr Svoboda, Sylvain Lefebvre, J.J. Daigneault, Donald Dufresne, Alain Cote, Gerald Diduck, Patrice Brisebois and Lyle Odelein. "

Naturally, in what became the great Habs tradition, we traded away the two best of those 🙄

21 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

True, I don't expect Harris to see much PP time given that they have more offensively gifted young defensemen coming up, maybe the odd PP shift as a 2nd pairing guy. 

Harris scored 17 points in 65 games last year which projects as 21 points in 82 games, not bad for a rookie. I expect his point total to go up a bit as the Habs offense improves perhaps reaching 30 points in a good year, certainly not Subban/Markov territory.

I think Harris does a lot of things well but doesn't excel at any one thing. I seem him as a smart dependable 4/5 guy who moves the puck well. He may become expendable given all the young defensemen on the left side especially if Hutson continues to develop. 

that is my opinion too.

he is steady and smart but to overly talented or anywhere near elite. A good depth LD

4 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

he is steady and smart but to overly talented or anywhere near elite. A good depth LD

Better projection than NHL depth i think?

4 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

that is my opinion too.

Hockey IQ is also a good attribute. Not talented? I'll wait and see before passing judgement.

10 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Peace, brother - I wasn’t singling you our specifically. 

I think it was reasonable to see Poehling as a decent prospect, maybe even someone who could grow into a #2C eventually.

Peace brother, I over reacted a little. It was reasonable to see Poehling as a decent prospect. 

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

Hockey IQ is also a good attribute. Not talented? I'll wait and see before passing judgement.

I see my typo now, darn phone. I wanted to write "not overly talented" but yes he is talented. Just not at a game breaker

Subban was a game breaker. Harris is not at that level

1 hour ago, DON said:

Better projection than NHL depth i think?

I 100% hope I am wrong. But right now he makes me thing of the second coming of Georges.

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I 100% hope I am wrong. But right now he makes me thing of the second coming of Georges.

Gorges was a hell of a depth D for us until he got paid. Similar to Gallagher as a blood and guts role player who took too much punishment to ever merit a big chunk of the cap (obvs Gally was better).

Harris seems more cerebral and able to avoid getting clobbered.

40 minutes ago, Neech said:

Gorges was a hell of a depth D for us until he got paid. Similar to Gallagher as a blood and guts role player who took too much punishment to ever merit a big chunk of the cap (obvs Gally was better).

Harris seems more cerebral and able to avoid getting clobbered.

Let’s hope 

On 7/28/2023 at 6:12 PM, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Go look at my posts about him.  Go ahead find them from the summer after the hat trick and WJC MVP.

I always said hes not a big tims scorer and might be a two way centre, and was preaching caution based on the fact he was never a big scorer in the NCAA. Approx 110 games of college hockey is such a better representation than 6 or 7 WJC games and one NHL game.

On 7/28/2023 at 7:20 PM, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

30.points is attainable.  Thats realistic.

10-15 goals a season cause he scored 2 goals in one game (while scoring 2 more in the other 64) is just not realistic.

13 hours ago, tomh009 said:

9 hours ago, Commandant said:

30.points is attainable.  Thats realistic.

10-15 goals a season cause he scored 2 goals in one game (while scoring 2 more in the other 64) is just not realistic.

The X factor with Harris is indeed IQ. He seems to be smarter than the average bear, both on the ice and off it. That’s the difference with Gorges, incidentally, who was all heart and guts, while Harris is all prefrontal cortex.

While I agree that seeing him as a #5 who can get 25 points per season is a realistic projection, I believe there is an outside chance that he becomes Dan Hamhuis, a 30-point non-physical D who clearly belongs in the top-4 owing to skating and intelligence. I wouldn’t bet the rent on it happening, but if I’m Harris, that’s what I’m gunning for.

11 hours ago, Commandant said:

Go look at my posts about him.  Go ahead find them from the summer after the hat trick and WJC MVP.

I always said hes not a big tims scorer and might be a two way centre, and was preaching caution based on the fact he was never a big scorer in the NCAA. Approx 110 games of college hockey is such a better representation than 6 or 7 WJC games and one NHL game.

I have no doubt you made those posts about being cautious. I think we have all made mistakes projecting how a young player will turn out.  I'll admit to being a fan (short for fanatic) which means at times my emotions\hopes\dreams will get carried away when it comes to projecting how a young player will turn out. I try to be realistic. I like to dream that Lane Hutson will be a star but I also realize his size will always limit him to some degree. Onward.