Hoffman gone, Petry and Casey DeSmith and picks in.

Meller93

8 hours ago, GHT120 said:

If I had to guess ... I suspect HuGo really don't want to retain much salary against next season's cap ... the "lesser bad contract" as a cap offset rather than salary retention makes a lot of sense to me.

Pick your poison i guess, hopefully other GMs are hinting they may be more in the mood for a Petry come Feb?

2 hours ago, DON said:

Pick your poison i guess, hopefully other GMs are hinting they may be more in the mood for a Petry come Feb?

I think Petry's value will go up as we get closer to the trade deadline and contending teams with some injuries might be a little desperate. I just don't see teams giving up a 1st right now for 50% retention. Another 2nd round pick (likely a late one from a good team) shouldn't be enough to get Hughes's interest if he has to retain 50%. I think Petry plays a chunk of the year with the Habs which is fine with me. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I think Petry's value will go up as we get closer to the trade deadline and contending teams with some injuries might be a little desperate. I just don't see teams giving up a 1st right now for 50% retention. Another 2nd round pick (likely a late one from a good team) shouldn't be enough to get Hughes's interest if he has to retain 50%. I think Petry plays a chunk of the year with the Habs which is fine with me. 

Personally, I'd regard this as the ideal scenario. I'm not sure HuGo does, however - let alone Petry. While I don't think Hughes is going to take a deal he doesn't like just to get rid of Petry, the smoke-signals around this entire business seem to point to an intention to ship him out sooner rather than later.🤷‍♂️ 

12 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

the value of 35 year old Petry will not go up this year. Like al aging defensemen, his minutes need to be managed and he needs to be paired with a better defenseman than him to cover when he will get burned by the opposition.

I like him on the Habs lineup as a #4, to help Guhle establish himself in the NHL. Petry can also help on the poser play, they way Wideman used to when he first got here.

Let's temper our expectations

29 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

the value of 35 year old Petry will not go up this year.

Market value for anything is based on supply and demand. If contending teams have injuries on defense come the trade deadline then Petry's value will most certainly go up as demand rises. You can count on that, assuming of course that Petry play half decent.  He is not washed up at age 35. 

For example a team like the Oilers are desperately in win now mode. If they had injuries then Holland will come calling. They are not the only team in that position. I don't see big demand for Petry right now but that could certainly change as the season progresses. I don't expect a trade for Petry before the season starts but Hughes may have different plans. 

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Personally, I'd regard this as the ideal scenario. I'm not sure HuGo does, however - let alone Petry. While I don't think Hughes is going to take a deal he doesn't like just to get rid of Petry, the smoke-signals around this entire business seem to point to an intention to ship him out sooner rather than later.🤷‍♂️ 

I agree that Hughes preference is likely to get rid of Petry sooner than later but I think he also realizes that he may get a better deal by waiting. 

56 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I agree that Hughes preference is likely to get rid of Petry sooner than later but I think he also realizes that he may get a better deal by waiting. 

There’s a wide range between accepting a deal you don’t like, on the one hand, and holding out for the absolutely best deal, on the other. I suspect that, because of the sense that Petry doesn’t really want to be here, Hughes will settle for ‘good enough,’ if it enables him to ship out Petry in a timely way.

Petry's value will rise unless he is injured or plays terribly.  I don't expect either of those events are likely.  A team trading for him now is incurring the risk of one or both of those outcomes.   If they wait they can be sure of who they are getting.

Also he will only be of real interest to teams hoping for the cup this year or next.  Any such team trading for Petry now is also counting on being in contention next April.  That's another risk such a team assumes if they make a trade now.  Of course having Petry for the year might help them have a good regular season.

In February/March I expect a few top teams will be very interested in Petry.  The main reason to trade him now would be if we need to shed his salary to get below the cap with Price on the team at the beginning of the season.

2 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Sheesh, some sports writers like to dream, what a terrible article. Taking on 4 years of Campbell's contract for a 2nd round pick. That is so laughable. 

Oilers Should Consider DeSmith As Campbell’s Replacement (msn.com)

I wonder if Price going to Edmonton would be worth it? They can deal with the LTIR system. 

Price for a second and Campbell 

Can Campbell handle backup for the next 4 years? 

3 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Sheesh, some sports writers like to dream, what a terrible article. Taking on 4 years of Campbell's contract for a 2nd round pick. That is so laughable. 

Oilers Should Consider DeSmith As Campbell’s Replacement (msn.com)

They don't even seem to consider that Campbell has a 10-team NTC.

Edmonton is perhaps the most "win now" team in the NHL ... If the NTC/NMCs can be resolved, I would ***consider*** swapping Price for Campbell and a 2nd rounder (to help move Allen) ... JC's contract is one season longer, but has a $5.5M lower AAV impact ... Habs would get off LTIR and Edmonton gets $5M in cap space by using LTIR for Price ... 

EDIT: AS originally suggested in the link, Edmonton would also get DeSmith ... so $3.7M in additional cap space with Price on LTIR ... of course if they preferred Allen, I would go for that.

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I wonder if Price going to Edmonton would be worth it? They can deal with the LTIR system. 

I was just tweaking my post (above) when you posted .

Great minds think alike and ......

EDIT: And just tweated it further @ 1:53

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

No.

While LTIR isn't ideal, its better than an albatross contract for a player who isn't injured, but just isn't worth what he's getting paid. 

5 hours ago, GHT120 said:

They don't even seem to consider that Campbell has a 10-team NTC.

Edmonton is perhaps the most "win now" team in the NHL ... If the NTC/NMCs can be resolved, I would ***consider*** swapping Price for Campbell and a 2nd rounder (to help move Allen) ... JC's contract is one season longer, but has a $5.5M lower AAV impact ... Habs would get off LTIR and Edmonton gets $5M in cap space by using LTIR for Price ... 

EDIT: AS originally suggested in the link, Edmonton would also get DeSmith ... so $3.7M in additional cap space with Price on LTIR ... of course if they preferred Allen, I would go for that.

I agree with the "Edmonton is perhaps the most "win now" team in the NHL but not interested in taking on Campbell's contract, would rather deal with Price on LTIR. 

The thing about Campbell is, when EDM signed him the advanced stats goalie people warned that this was going to be bad. It’s like management said “we don’t care about that kind of info! We just need a goalie!! Sign that puppy!!!”

This sort of thing is why I have a hard time taking the Oil seriously as a top-tier contender despite their unbelievable talent down the middle…

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

The thing about Campbell is, when EDM signed him the advanced stats goalie people warned that this was going to be bad. It’s like management said “we don’t care about that kind of info! We just need a goalie!! Sign that puppy!!!”

This sort of thing is why I have a hard time taking the Oil seriously as a top-tier contender despite their unbelievable talent down the middle…

It seems like having a steady, dependable goalie is something that has eluded a lot of teams.  Then Vegas wins the cup with Aiden Hill who has been up and down his whole career so far carrying the load. I guess their group on defense was that good. Perhaps throwing a lot of money at a goalie isn't the right approach. I don't know the right answer when it comes to goaltending. 

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Agreed ... it wasn't that $5M was too much to spend on a goalie ... but it was too much to spend on THAT goalie.

2 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

It seems like having a steady, dependable goalie is something that has eluded a lot of teams.  Then Vegas wins the cup with Aiden Hill who has been up and down his whole career so far carrying the load. I guess their group on defense was that good. Perhaps throwing a lot of money at a goalie isn't the right approach. I don't know the right answer when it comes to goaltending. 

Vegas got lucky that Hill (who wasn't even the starter to start the playoffs) got hot at the right time.  I wouldn't want to bet on my goalie getting hot.