2023-24 Laval Rocket discussion thread

tomh009

1 hour ago, DON said:

Not a clue if Trudeau will be a NHLer?

My thought is not an NHL regular but a 7/6 D, primarily the spare ... but there is always a need for such players ... not a guarantee, but seems like a very smart/mature player who could handle such a role.

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

I suspect that Farrel is a "quiet" / "smart" player who won't stand out if he makes it to the NHL but who could (if he makes it) have a decent career, but I don't expect him to become a Top 6 forward in the NHL (at least on a playoff/Cup contender) ... maybe a 3rd liner.

I do not think he will make it to the NHL, he doesn't have a shot to be a winger and he does not have the the size to be a center. But his hands and vision makes him a fringe NHLer

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

I think Trudeau is another player who could have a decent career as a 7/6 defenceman.

I thought Reinbacher played well, as witnessed by his time on the PK and playing regularly throughout the game, but have to admit he made a couple of gaffs ... what impressed me was his skating and how he recovered from the gaffs to neutralize them, or at least try to.

Trudeau is too slow to be a 6/7 D. And he is not physical to play a shut down or even to box out opponents. When he is playing well in Laval, he is generating offense. IMHO he is an emergency call-up, depth D. At least from the games I've watched.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

It was only a few months ago that Laval was playing a lot of high-scoring games.  We know Dobes has turned it around but where did the offence go?  All of a sudden, it's a minor miracle if they get 25 shots on net and lately, they are routinely getting outplayed and outchanced.  I'm happy that Dobes is stealing some wins but they need to figure out how to start putting up some goals and scoring chances again.

Not having Roy and the slump Heineman is having has affected their offense. Yesterday, they hit a couple of posts and missed the net either on missed shots or deviations by the Senators Ds.

Perreault seems to be doing better, generating a bit more offense, but Heineman is playing as bad as Armia or Anderson when they are not generating much for the Habs.

Maillet, Andersson and Gignac are playing well but the Rocket is missing finishers

Go Rocket! Go!

They are where they deserve to be in the standings. Kaskisuo was not good on that game, letting in two softies.

I guess the Habs management is right to dismiss Laval as a development asset for their best prospects. :ph34r: NHL or bust, is the model :flaming:!!!

I am disappointed but not out of hope for their chances, this play-in race is the only thing keeping interested in the Habs right now.

36 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I guess the Habs management is right to dismiss Laval as a development asset for their best prospects. :ph34r: NHL or bust, is the model :flaming:!!!

That's not true, Mailloux is developing nicely there, Roy was having a good year in Laval until his call up and Reinbacher is there now. Also Arber spent a chunk of time there.  The Habs obviously see Laval as a place to develop. 

6 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

That's not true, Mailloux is developing nicely there, Roy was having a good year in Laval until his call up and Reinbacher is there now. Also Arber spent a chunk of time there.  The Habs obviously see Laval as a place to develop. 

I am just ticked off.... not a happy toasty potato at this moment

34 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

A team filled with NHL prospects is not the way to succeed in the AHL, though, that's a different type of team construction.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

We are trying to build an NHL team - that’s the ultimate goal. I isn’t give a rats ass if we win the Calder Cup in Laval very year but don’t win the Stanley cup.

I hated the rush and no development model under Bergevin - I don’t think other than Lekhonan there is not a player he drafted that he was also successful in developing into a good NHL player - notice I didn’t use the word elite. Next is Evans as a decent NHL player. Therrien developed no one. I can’t really remember Julien being all that successful either as far as developing a young player. The AHL team was not only shit, but it wasn’t even used for development. 

Mailloux has been in Laval all year because that’s where he belongs. Ditto with Barron being sent down. Wifi as sent down to refine his game, and came Back a better player. Armia was garbage and Laval was used as a wake up call. 

Roy deserved to be promoted. He has shown he is an NHL player. The AHL is to prepare players for the NHL. If we win - great - but that’s a bonus and nice to have. It’s not the end goal.

guys that needed to be sent down have been. Others like Guhle have shown they are NHL players. He is not Mete - who had no business being in the NHL - let alone on the first pairing.

The only player I think belongs in Laval and isn’t is Josh friggin useless Anderson. Personally, even though I think that’s where he belongs and should have been there three months ago, I think he’d probably hurt Laval rather than help it. If he isn’t traded over the summer (highly unlikely unless we gave up major picks, pick up 50%, and have another team pickup another 25%), I hope his useless ass is buried in Laval. Feel free to buy a Josh Anderson Laval jersey in anticipation! Hell, the only mistake they probably made this year is not having Josh Anderson and Lia’s Andersson swap roles!

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, tomh009 said:

A team filled with NHL prospects is not the way to succeed in the AHL, though, that's a different type of team construction.

But it is a good place to bury useless bums like Josh Anderson!

1-1 in the 3rd period against Syracuse.  Laval is getting outplayed a bit but Dobes has been sharp so far. 

Belleville is up 3-0 tonight so getting two points here gets a little more important.

missed opportunities in the power plays. I didn't watch the 3rd period, but in the two first periods they were competing, and Dobes was giving them a chance to win.

I wonder if they can call up Jakov Novak from Trois-Rivières. He is their top scorer, seems to be a shot first type of winger and to have size. I do not know about his skating.

I may be a better option than Perreault or Durandeau, neither of which have helped generate offense

I watched and disagree that they competed well.  Syracuse dominated the game and Dobes was great.  He was the only reason it was close.

Laval is having real issues generating offence right now.  I dont know that they need another shoot first winger.  They need someone who can control the puck and make some plays imo.

It seems kind of strange that all our young RD prospects are in Laval (until Barron’s emergency call up) - particularly with the premium placed on RD.

Reinbacher obviously would be expected to be in Laval, but it seems like the LD prospects all seem to have progressed faster than Barron and Mailloux and haven’t had to spend as much time in the minors. I don’t recall any of our young LD prospects spend as much time in Laval. Guhle, Harris, Struble, and Wifi all were picked up to the big club a lot faster.

Not trying to make any point - just an observation. Hopefully one of them progresses to the NHL level next year.

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

... but it seems like the LD prospects all seem to have progressed faster than Barron and Mailloux and haven’t had to spend as much time in the minors ...

Fair-ish comment on Barron ... but Mailloux is in his first professional season ... between Covid, injuries and his "issues" in Sweden Logan played only 90 games over the previous three seasons (almost 2/3 in his last junior season) ... his defensive game ABSOLUTELY needed this season in Laval ... and there is no guarantee he starts the season in Montréal next fall.

21 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

It seems kind of strange that all our young RD prospects are in Laval (until Barron’s emergency call up) - particularly with the premium placed on RD.

Reinbacher obviously would be expected to be in Laval, but it seems like the LD prospects all seem to have progressed faster than Barron and Mailloux and haven’t had to spend as much time in the minors. I don’t recall any of our young LD prospects spend as much time in Laval. Guhle, Harris, Struble, and Wifi all were picked up to the big club a lot faster.

Not trying to make any point - just an observation. Hopefully one of them progresses to the NHL level next year.

It's worth noting that two of the lefties came out of college so they were a bit more polished and mature than players coming out of major junior.  I think that's a notable factor.  Mailloux is more than NHL-ready offensively but defensively, he still needs some work.  That's not a typical profile so yeah, it's understandable that he needs more time.

Barron is an interesting one though.  I think they could have easily kept him up over Struble but are prioritizing him getting bigger minutes in a more prominent role.  So is it that he had to spend more time in the minors for development or is it that the Habs chose the more gradual path?  Barron is waiver-eligible next year so it's fair to say he'll be up full-time.

15 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

It's worth noting that two of the lefties came out of college so they were a bit more polished and mature than players coming out of major junior.  I think that's a notable factor.  Mailloux is more than NHL-ready offensively but defensively, he still needs some work.  That's not a typical profile so yeah, it's understandable that he needs more time.

Barron is an interesting one though.  I think they could have easily kept him up over Struble but are prioritizing him getting bigger minutes in a more prominent role.  So is it that he had to spend more time in the minors for development or is it that the Habs chose the more gradual path?  Barron is waiver-eligible next year so it's fair to say he'll be up full-time.

Good point  out quite a few LD guys (other than wifi) came through the college system. Wonder if that’s an area we should look at during the draft - using 3rd/4th round picks on middle D potential RD that are going to college?

with Barron, I agree with the approach they are taking with him -  better send him down when you can, rather than be forced to when he is waiver eligible.

15 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Good point  out quite a few LD guys (other than wifi) came through the college system. Wonder if that’s an area we should look at during the draft - using 3rd/4th round picks on middle D potential RD that are going to college?

with Barron, I agree with the approach they are taking with him -  better send him down when you can, rather than be forced to when he is waiver eligible.

College vs the AHL doesnt get them to Montreal faster though.

Consider 

Since being drafted, Mailloux has spent two years in thr OHL and 1 in the AHL.

Since being drafted, Struble spent 4 in college and half a year in the AHL before his callup.

Harris stayed in college for 4.

So while its less AHL time, its still the same or longer between the draft and the NHL.

And Mailloux's losing a season to Covid (except a few games in sweden)n then half a season to suspension, then half a season to shoulder injury, also means he wasnt playing for a lot of that time.

only 4 regular season games for Laval. If they could stop taking so many penalties and also tighten their defensive play, they may win their share of these games.

But the games on-hand from the other teams is going to make the difference

image.png