Game 2 - Montréal vs. Chicago ... 7 p.m. - 2023-10-14

bar

4 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

No question. You ship Monahan out first chance you get. Love the player, but I agree with you. And the fact is that, if healthy, he could bring real added value to a playoff run.

I would think this year Monahan would be even more valuable at the trade deadline as his contact is much easier to absorb (6.2M vs 1.9M) with the Habs retaining 50% so most teams can make that work. 

1 minute ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I would think this year Monahan would be even more valuable at the trade deadline as his contact is much easier to absorb (6.2M vs 1.9M) with the Habs retaining 50% so most teams can make that work. 

No doubt. Although given that he is made of balsa wood, I would trade him at the earliest available opportunity, provided the return was solid. Waiting until trade deadline is risky.

36 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

No doubt. Although given that he is made of balsa wood, I would trade him at the earliest available opportunity, provided the return was solid. Waiting until trade deadline is risky.

I agree although it will likely take a while for teams to be in desperation mode. It could be like the Toffoli trade who was traded well before the deadline. 

3 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I agree although it will likely take a while for teams to be in desperation mode. It could be like the Toffoli trade who was traded well before the deadline. 

We’ll Columbus is reportedly looking for a centre, and Monohan Gaudreau are supposed to be tight…

43 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

We’ll Columbus is reportedly looking for a centre, and Monohan Gaudreau are supposed to be tight…

I think Monahan is highly regarded from a character point of view so not surprising if he was tight with some ex teammates.  Just need him to stay healthy but the Habs seems to be cursed. 

2 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

They are?  They got their future franchise piece in Fantilli and Laine has now moved down the middle.  Between them, Boone Jenner who's a fixture, and youngsters Cole Sillinger and Kent Johnson, I don't think they're looking for centres, certainly not a rental in a year that they're not expected to make the playoffs. 

3 hours ago, dlbalr said:

They are?  They got their future franchise piece in Fantilli and Laine has now moved down the middle.  Between them, Boone Jenner who's a fixture, and youngsters Cole Sillinger and Kent Johnson, I don't think they're looking for centres, certainly not a rental in a year that they're not expected to make the playoffs. 

Friedman and marek had in their podcast last week - marek made the same point about Laine, but Friedman was saying they are still looking for a centre.

16 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Friedman and marek had in their podcast last week - marek made the same point about Laine, but Friedman was saying they are still looking for a centre.

Interesting, thanks.  Even so though, not sure a rental is what they necessarily need.

On today's podcast they were saying that the Jackets were looking at Garland (a winger) and that they could try and move Roslovic (a centre) in return, but the Canucks want D. 

so I don't know what is going on there.

10 hours ago, Commandant said:

On today's podcast they were saying that the Jackets were looking at Garland (a winger) and that they could try and move Roslovic (a centre) in return, but the Canucks want D. 

so I don't know what is going on there.

Could be a culture thing? Roslovic has underperformed and has an attitude issue or something I vaguely remember.

2 hours ago, Plutarch said:

Could be a culture thing? Roslovic has underperformed and has an attitude issue or something I vaguely remember.

Negative, Roslovic has never been known as a problem player. By all accounts he a great team guy, hard worker and coaches love him, is from Ohio so was a big get for them to have a local boy done good.

but he is earning more than he is worth, can’t seem to maintain spot in top 9.

• Like 1

Assuming (gulp) he stays healthy, we may need Monahan to stick around all season. If Newhook can't thrive as Dach's replacement at C, we're going to need quality C options to further his and Slaf's development on the wing. I don't think pairing Slaf or Newhook with an Evans or Dvorak is going to position them very well to blossom as top-6 forwards.

18 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Assuming (gulp) he stays healthy, we may need Monahan to stick around all season. If Newhook can't thrive as Dach's replacement at C, we're going to need quality C options to further his and Slaf's development on the wing. I don't think pairing Slaf or Newhook with an Evans or Dvorak is going to position them very well to blossom as top-6 forwards.

It’s funny that the Sportsnet folks were talking about the C position being a great strength for us. 

We lose Dach and things don’t look so good!

Agree with your analysis. Monahan is the only option if Newhook can’t centre well. The others would be terrible. 

36 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

It’s funny that the Sportsnet folks were talking about the C position being a great strength for us. 

We lose Dach and things don’t look so good!

Agree with your analysis. Monahan is the only option if Newhook can’t centre well. The others would be terrible. 

Well, we do have depth - 3 top-6 calibre C is pretty good. The problem is that two of those appear to be like Benoit Brunet, destined to suffer an endless series of massive injuries. 🤷‍♂️ It is reasonable to assume Monahan is going to go down with a major injury sometimes in the coming weeks and months. There was no real basis for assuming the same would be true for Dach.

I'm just SO sick of our players suffering massive injuries. Crippling injuries compromised the three most important players of the past 30 years, huge injuries sabotaged crucial development seasons for several of our young players last year, and now the same problem is looming. At some point, it's not enough to have a strong drafting and development organization. You also need NOT to have appallingly bad luck.