Game 30 Islanders at Canadiens 7pm Sat December 16

Prime Minister Koivu

Habs had 21 shots in 2nd & give up 17 in 3rd, quite a flip-flop.

Suzuki 2a 6 shots (25pt 30gms)

Slafkovski 1a (8pts 30gms) and most icetime of all forwards (19:26)

Guhle 1a +4 (9pts in 26gms) 19:51, seems better amount icetime for him, Savard is eating more minutes.

44 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Bummer - I couldn’t watch this one, and happened to miss Anderson’s breakout game!

Too soon to call it "breakout".

10 minutes ago, DON said:

Habs had 21 shots in 2nd & give up 17 in 3rd, quite a flip-flop.

Suzuki 2a 6 shots (25pt 30gms)

Slafkovski 1a (8pts 30gms) and most icetime of all forwards (19:26)

Guhle 1a +4 (9pts in 26gms) 19:51, seems better amount icetime for him, Savard is eating more minutes.

Slaf 8 points is surprising. I feel like it should be more. The dude is developing into a possession beast. I'm starting to get excited about him.

13 hours ago, Commandant said:

Everyone keeps saying why isnt monahan at centre.  I strongly suspect hes playing with an injury and its easier for him to play wing right now.

Definitely a reasonable suspicion.  My only concern is that with how injury prone he has been, wouldn't the safer play be to rest him and not let him play through it since that's what usually gets him into trouble in the first place?  He is still averaging 11 faceoffs a game over the last five where he's basically been on the wing so if it is something, it might not be in the hands.

31 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

Slaf 8 points is surprising. I feel like it should be more. The dude is developing into a possession beast. I'm starting to get excited about him.

Absolutely 👍 

Slafkovsky wins the majority of puck battles and his passing skills are top notch. 

He makes significantly fewer mistakes with the puck as well. 

I was reading this morning about how Suzuki and Caufield both have much better metrics since Slaf got moved to the first line. 

Still I hope that next season Slafkovsky plays with Dach because IMO Dach has the highest skill level on the team and they looked so good together. 

52 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Definitely a reasonable suspicion.  My only concern is that with how injury prone he has been, wouldn't the safer play be to rest him and not let him play through it since that's what usually gets him into trouble in the first place?  He is still averaging 11 faceoffs a game over the last five where he's basically been on the wing so if it is something, it might not be in the hands.

His history seems to be mostly "lower-body" injuries ... I agree, it would make more sense to sit him to get healthy.

2 hours ago, DON said:

Savard is on the right side so that's not a big impact, really (the TOI drops a bit for Kovacevic and Barron, though). For Guhle, it mostly cuts down on the amount of PK time.

5 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Absolutely 👍 

Slafkovsky wins the majority of puck battles and his passing skills are top notch. 

He makes significantly fewer mistakes with the puck as well. 

I was reading this morning about how Suzuki and Caufield both have much better metrics since Slaf got moved to the first line. 

Still I hope that next season Slafkovsky plays with Dach because IMO Dach has the highest skill level on the team and they looked so good together. 

Is like to see him shoot more, and when he does shoot, get off quicker. There are still too many times he is looking for someone to pass to.

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Is like to see him shoot more, and when he does shoot, get off quicker. There are still too many times he is looking for someone to pass to.

It'll be a process. He's always been a playmaker rather than a sniper, so the shift will take time.

6 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Absolutely 👍 

I agree. I feel like if he can stay healthy, Dach may end being the 1A centre. Not Suzuki. I like Suzuki a lot. His vision, IQ are very good. I just see shades of Getzlaf in Dach and it makes me excited. 

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I agree, there have been multiple times this year I was hoping he would shoot. It's great that he is an unselfish player but he does need to shoot more. 

5 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

I agree. I feel like if he can stay healthy, Dach may end being the 1A centre. Not Suzuki. I like Suzuki a lot. His vision, IQ are very good. I just see shades of Getzlaf in Dach and it makes me excited. 

I see the Getzlaf comparison in his size and puck handling skills. Getzlaf was an absolute stud, also had a mean streak that Dach doesn't seem to have.  Dach does make me excited, looked really dominant at times last year. His injury left me a little depressed.