2024 NHL Entry Draft

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I can think of one example where the Habs did move up in the draft.  In 2010 they moved up 5 spots from 27 to 22 to draft Jarred Tinordi. It cost them a 2nd round pick and they also got a 4th round pick back. It didn't turn out great for them but Tinordi is still around. 

Not certain that 14 drafts ago counts as recent ... or that 27-to-22 is really the context that is being suggested.

12 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Not certain that 14 drafts ago counts as recent ... or that 27-to-22 is really the context that is being suggested.

Agree on both counts. I am thinking more of moving late twenties (likely Winnipeg's pick)  to mid  teens.  Not easy or cheap. 

I don't count 14 years ago as recent, just the only one I could think of off the top of my head. 

Saginaw Spirit 4 vs. Brantford Bulldogs 3 – OT

NHL Draft prospect Zayne Parekh’s 29th of the season tied the score with 5:14 remaining before his 30th was the OT winner 28 seconds into the extra frame
Parekh becomes just the second draft eligible defenceman in OHL history (since 1980) to score 30 goals in a season, joining John Slaney of the Cornwall Royals (1989-90)
Montreal Canadiens prospect Owen Beck scored his 30th of the season in the Spirit comeback win
Fellow Canadiens draftee Florian Xhekaj also scored goal #30 on the season for Brantford

2024 Midseason Draft Rankings – Picks 1-8 – HabsWorld.net

Sam Dickinson (London Knights/OHL)
12GP / 4G / 20PTS / +9

Dickinson led all CHL d-men with 20 points in February and has tallied at least a point in his last 11 contests. The 2024 NHL Draft prospect had eight multi-point performances in 12 appearances while on Feb. 7 he matched his career high with three assists in a 9-2 road win over Flint. Dickinson ranks fifth in CHL scoring among blueliners with 63 points this season.

CHL Team of the Month presented by CCM: February 2024 | Canadian Hockey League

Dickinson is very impressive, there seems to be no weak point in his game. He really stood out watching some of the OHL playoff games last year and he keeps getting better. I think he has top pairing defensemen written all over him. I think he is similar in style to Kaiden Guhle, but a little bigger frame and stronger and will provide more offense. 

Zayne Parekh is certainly an offensive dynamo, no other defensemen in this draft like him but Dickinson seems so well rounded. 

Sam Dickinson | Sam Dickinson Profile | Sam Dickinson Scouting Report 2024 (mynhldraft.com)

30 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Dickinson is very impressive, there seems to be no weak point in his game. He really stood out watching some of the OHL playoff games last year and he keeps getting better. I think he has top pairing defensemen written all over him. I think he is similar in style to Kaiden Guhle, but a little bigger frame and stronger and will provide more offense. 

Zayne Parekh is certainly an offensive dynamo, no other defensemen in this draft like him but Dickinson seems so well rounded. 

Sam Dickinson | Sam Dickinson Profile | Sam Dickinson Scouting Report 2024 (mynhldraft.com)

If we don’t get lottery luck to get that three top forwards, I want Parekh.

10 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

If we don’t get lottery luck to get that three top forwards, I want Parekh.

With so many good looking d-prospects, some teams will bite on a couple early, so Habs might do fine at 6th or 7th pick for a forward.

Maybe a Demidov, Catton or Helenius might be fine forward options.  

12 minutes ago, DON said:

With so many good looking d-prospects, some teams will bite on a couple early, so Habs might do fine at 6th or 7th pick for a forward.

Maybe a Demidov, Catton or Helenius might be fine forward options.  

My order of preference is as follows:

1)Celebrini

2)Demidov

3)Lindstrom

4)Parekh

5)Silayev

We aren’t getting the top three unless we win the draft. And we we are picking late for Levshhnov. Is take BPA, rather than position and Paekh looks like a Coffey or dman that will be real special. Man already screwed the pooch not taking Hughes (or at least Tkachuk), wouldn’t want to pass on Parekh if he is available.

This is a D heavy draft, and last year was a forward heavy draft. I really wished we had taken Michkov or Leonard last year!

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

My order of preference is as follows:

1)Celebrini

2)Demidov

3)Lindstrom

4)Parekh

5)Silayev

We aren’t getting the top three unless we win the draft. And we we are picking late for Levshhnov. Is take BPA, rather than position and Paekh looks like a Coffey or dman that will be real special. Man already screwed the pooch not taking Hughes (or at least Tkachuk), wouldn’t want to pass on Parekh if he is available.

This is a D heavy draft, and last year was a forward heavy draft. I really wished we had taken Michkov or Leonard last year!

Those are my top 3 forwards and if they are gone, there is not an obvious one for me. Habs are almost assuredly drafting 5-7 (unless the lottery changes things). I hope with all the elite defense prospects available that Lindstrom falls to the Habs but my hopes never seem to work out. 

Parekh and Beck will be fun to watch at the Memorial Cup. If you draft Parekh then I think you trade Mailloux in some sort of package deal for a forward as I don't know if there is room for 2 gifted offensive right defensemen but maybe you can keep both. 

I don't think trading Mailloux is realistic.  Whatever team would acquire him will want a discount because of his history.  Its not fair but that is the situation.  We will never get what he is worth.  We have had to endure a lot of criticism for drafting him and trading him would mean we did that for nothing.

POTENTIALLY the Habs will have more young defencemen than they need, whether or not they draft a D with their first pick this year ... but I don't think HuGo will pre-determine which to trade ... I-M-O they should decide who is as close to untouchable as possible (NOBODY is 100% "untouchable") and then either select a player to target in a trade and put together a package including a "touchable" defenceman(men) ... OR ... you let other GMs know that you are inviting offers for the "touchable" defencemen and see what offer is best for the Habs ... and, it may ***not*** be purely who brings the best player in return as they have to factor in the value of retaining the D not traded ... my equation is who you get PLUS who you get to keep.

Im going to the mat for Helenius.  Im telling you this is the guy.  Ive seriously got him at #2.

Theres just something there.  I think hes gonna be a star.

This is how i felt on Quinn Hughes back in the day 

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

POTENTIALLY the Habs will have more young defencemen than they need, whether or not they draft a D with their first pick this year 

When you look at the number of young defensemen the Habs have that are currently in the NHL  (ie. Struble, Xhekaj, Guhle, Harris, Kovacevic) and then you will have Mailloux and Barron knocking on the door next year and then you will have Reinbacher, Huston and maybe Engstrom after that (did I forget anyone), I think it's more than potentially and it's coming soon. And what if they decide to keep Matheson and Savard around for a bit? There is a big logjam coming at defense. Not a terrible problem to have but some trades will have to made.

44 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Im going to the mat for Helenius.  Im telling you this is the guy.  Ive seriously got him at #2.

I like it when people are firm in their belief and don't waffle.  Helenius has been in the 5-10 range in almost every mock draft I have looked at so I am sure the Habs are scouting him carefully. I would love to see the Habs get another top 15 pick but that is very unlikely. 

47 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I love it. He certainly has more skill than the last Finnish centre we drafted. 

I don't get why Demidov is rated so high, it looks like no one is trying in the league he plays in. 

Iginla might be a bit of a reach in the top 7 but he's another guy I could talk myself into.

20 minutes ago, Neech said:

I don't get why Demidov is rated so high,

Because he is highly skilled Russian with puck and some of that type turn out pretty darn good.

Can also read any scouting report, or watch youtube bit on him and seems pretty similar description and ranking, a top 5-10 pick. 

3 hours ago, DON said:

Because he is highly skilled Russian with puck and some of that type turn out pretty darn good.

Can also read any scouting report, or watch youtube bit on him and seems pretty similar description and ranking, a top 5-10 pick. 

There are some scouts who love Demidov, McCagg thinks he is just as good as Michkov with a better attitude. I don't know if the Russian factor will drop him in the rankings but he is a very skilled winger. It might be hard for the Habs to overlook him if he is available when they draft but he likely isn't.  

Ivan Demidov | Ivan Demidov Profile | Ivan Demidov Scouting Report 2024 (mynhldraft.com)

5 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

There are some scouts who love Demidov, McCagg thinks he is just as good as Michkov with a better attitude. I don't know if the Russian factor will drop him in the rankings but he is a very skilled winger. It might be hard for the Habs to overlook him if he is available when they draft but he likely isn't.  

Ivan Demidov | Ivan Demidov Profile | Ivan Demidov Scouting Report 2024 (mynhldraft.com)

I feel like the Russian factor is enough to make him drop past Lindstrom and a couple defensemen.

2 hours ago, Neech said:

I feel like the Russian factor is enough to make him drop past Lindstrom and a couple defensemen.

Yes, he likely wont go 2nd due to being a winger/small'ish'/Russian, but 7th seems reasonable landing spot, where Habs sit today.

If offense is what we need to add, Catton stands out in the WHL (like Parekh does in the OHL).

He even has 6 short-handed goals.

VS high flying PG yesterday he had 1g  6shots and will end up with 100+ pts on a pretty weak team.

image.png

19 hours ago, Commandant said:

I assume you have Celebrini at 1 and Helenius at 2.  Where do you rank Demidov and Lindstrom or are you keeping that a secret until you put your full list out. Thanks 

4 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I assume you have Celebrini at 1 and Helenius at 2.  Where do you rank Demidov and Lindstrom or are you keeping that a secret until you put your full list out. Thanks 

Our end of Feb articles are coming out this week.  Its a three person panel voting.  Ill relase my own list after they are all out.

Some interesting comments especially about Dickinson who I think is an absolute stud. 

2024 Midseason Draft Rankings – Picks 1-8 – HabsWorld.net

"Many Habs fans won’t like what I’m about to say, but if they are lucky enough to get their hands on Dickinson, they might want to cash in on the value of Matheson or Hutson… or both. Dickinson will be the power play and play nearly 30 minutes per night. A combination of Jayden Struble, Arber Xhekaj, and Jordan Harris can handle the rest. Take Dickinson and deal with the rest later, even if it makes no sense positionally. If both Celebrini and Lindstrom are off the board, take Dickinson."

• Like 2