2024 NHL Entry Draft

Unless the Habs can draft a potential elite forward, I will take either best player available even if it is a LD, or I would trade down or out to get a young prospect with high potential like Newhook and Dach.

53 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

As always, with soooooo mnay players, the question is whether the #s will translate to the NHL.

After watching his junior career I was so pumped when the habs got Corey Locke in the 4th round of the 2003 after his CHL Player of the year and Top Scorer Awards (Regular Season: 66 gms, 63 g, 88 a, 151 pts; Playoffs: 46 gms, 23 gms, 19 g, 19 a, 38 pts) ... GREAT AHL player ... 9 gms, 0 g, 1 a ... albeit Locke was smaller. 

That is why NHL scouts/GMs get well-paid.

In order to succeed in the NHL at that size, you need something else to make up for it.  For most players who make it, its skating at an elite level.  It could be shot, or hockey IQ too, but for most people its skating.

Locke didnt have the skating and its also why he was drafted his second time through the draft and not his first and he went in the fourth round.

Catton will be a first rounder, likely top 15 and maybe top 10.  He has the skating and intelligence to get by.  Of course no player is guaranteed though 

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

As always, with soooooo mnay players, the question is whether the #s will translate to the NHL.

After watching his junior career I was so pumped when the habs got Corey Locke in the 4th round of the 2003 after his CHL Player of the year and Top Scorer Awards (Regular Season: 66 gms, 63 g, 88 a, 151 pts; Playoffs: 46 gms, 23 gms, 19 g, 19 a, 38 pts) ... GREAT AHL player ... 9 gms, 0 g, 1 a ... albeit Locke was smaller. 

That is why NHL scouts/GMs get well-paid.

Yes, will it translate and that's why you have scouts. There is a reason Corey Locke lasted until the 4th round. 

Catton is a tremendously skilled player, fun to watch. If Catton was a couple inches taller and 20lbs heavier I think he would be top 2 for sure. 

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Not sure if I’d want Catton at #5 when there will be at least three other forwards, or two other Right Dmen I’d  want over him.

My hope is that Demidov or Lindstrom fall to 5 (assuming the Habs draft there). If not, I wouldn't be surprised if the Habs take Iginla or Catton or maybe Helenius. The top 10 is really tough to predict, mock drafts are all over the place after Celebrini.  

4 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

My hope is that Demidov or Lindstrom fall to 5 (assuming the Habs draft there). If not, I wouldn't be surprised if the Habs take Iginla or Catton or maybe Helenius. The top 10 is really tough to predict, mock drafts are all over the place after Celebrini.  

... Habs win lottery and take Celebrini. Aside from that any of a handful would be fine by me.

Eiserman seems too Hoffman-like, from what i have heard, is about the only one i not keen on seeing in a a Habs #24 jersey.

Only another 2 1/2 months to go...

Mea culpa for the Locke analogy ... it was not intended as a direct analogy, but that was not made clear, poorly expressed ... just a memory of great stats that for reasons that I admit impacted his draft status never converted ... point was intended to be that we fans get excited by prospects' scoring numbers on their face value ... I agree it is the scouts' jobs to analyze their game and decide how well the "numbers" will translate.

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Catton is a tremendously skilled player, fun to watch. If Catton was a couple inches taller and 20lbs heavier I think he would be top 2 for sure. 

3 hours ago, Commandant said:

Catton will be a first rounder, likely top 15 and maybe top 10.  He has the skating and intelligence to get by. 

Locke (for all his faults) was also a tremendously skilled junior (even AHL) player who was fun to watch (again, not trying to suggest any direct equivalency) ... but Catton isn't two inches and twenty pounds heavier, and may or may not ever be ... I just don't know if I feel comfortable considering him at #5 ... of course, he may "kick in the door" for consideration with an outstanding performance at the upcoming IIHF-U18s.

3 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I also like Hughes' drafting logic: not drafting the best player today, but the one that will be the best in five years' time. So far, this looks to be working out with Slafkovsky.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

I also like Hughes' drafting logic: not drafting the best player today, but the one that will be the best in five years' time. So far, this looks to be working out with Slafkovsky.

I wonder how Wright would be doing in habland, if had of chosen him?:spamafote:

53 minutes ago, DON said:

I wonder how Wright would be doing in habland, if had of chosen him?:spamafote:

Maybe the Rocket would have made it into the playoffs?

12 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Maybe the Rocket would have made it into the playoffs?

And without Slaf the Habs might have given the CBJ a challenge for 4th worst?

1 hour ago, DON said:

These folks are high on Buium.

Iginla just named to Canada's U-18 team and another chance to showcase his game.

DobberProspects’ April Top-96 for the 2024 NHL Draft – DobberProspects

image.png

A lot of folks are high on Buium.  If Eiserman falls to 15 then the Habs should definitely try and trade up. Demidov seems to be #2 on a lot of lists now. 

9 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

If Eiserman falls to 15 then the Habs should definitely try and trade up.  

I was happy when Caufield was picked and i guess this guy is supposedly a similar-type sniper, but not hoping Habs pick him.

Prelim games U18s start tomorrow, TSN i think is airing Canada games. 

Iginla & Greentree i guess are 2 top prospects playing.

Not sure who is on USA/Sweden

Schedule and Scores - 2024 IIHF U18 World Championship (hockeycanada.ca)

image.png

1 hour ago, JoeLassister said:

Did Atos Koivu move in the rankings since Christmas ?

They have him at 81st, so a NHL long shot depth player am assuming.

81. Aatos Koivu, C — TPS (U20 SM-Sarja)
Anni Karvinen – Aatos Koivu is a strong-skating center that has had a steep development curve during the season. He is physically quite raw which partly explains why he flew under the radar for so long. Koivu possesses a plus tool in his shot that he likes to fire frequently, especially from the half-wall. He also has a quite good hockey sense especially in the offensive zone where he is good at
making himself available as an option to pass the puck to. He can play responsible two-way hockey and he’s already developed some mature habits like good scanning.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DON said:

They have him at 81st, so a NHL long shot depth player am assuming.

81. Aatos Koivu, C — TPS (U20 SM-Sarja)
Anni Karvinen – Aatos Koivu is a strong-skating center that has had a steep development curve during the season. He is physically quite raw which partly explains why he flew under the radar for so long. Koivu possesses a plus tool in his shot that he likes to fire frequently, especially from the half-wall. He also has a quite good hockey sense especially in the offensive zone where he is good at
making himself available as an option to pass the puck to. He can play responsible two-way hockey and he’s already developed some mature habits like good scanning.

Longer shot for certain ... but Alexei Zhitnik, Joe Juneau and Steve Kasper were 81st overall picks ... Brian Gionta and Adam Henrique were 82nd ... and Matthew Barnaby and Matt Murray were 83rd overall picks ... so, there is always HOPE.

40 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

... so, there is always HOPE.

Yup, i suppose, is what gambling addicts think also i assume.:nuts:

3 minutes ago, DON said:

Yup, i suppose, is what gambling addicts think also i assume.:nuts:

And mid-to-late round draft picks that show up at training camp

3 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Longer shot for certain ... but Alexei Zhitnik, Joe Juneau and Steve Kasper were 81st overall picks ... Brian Gionta and Adam Henrique were 82nd ... and Matthew Barnaby and Matt Murray were 83rd overall picks ... so, there is always HOPE.

I do not believe HughGort have any sentimentalism towards the history of the franchise or are any interest in dipping into nepotism.

I think that ship is parked on the marketing department and away from hockey decision.

33 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I do not believe HughGort have any sentimentalism towards the history of the franchise or are any interest in dipping into nepotism.

I think that ship is parked on the marketing department and away from hockey decision.

I agree with what you said, but in no way understand how it related to my post ... I just looked up the most familiar names with the most games played at each draft position.

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

What about Florian?

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, DON said:

What about Florian?

you are right, I was surprised by that one but the kid is really good.

The names on @GHT120 's list had too many old names, and I woul dbe surprised Koivu JR is favoured by this management team.

Edited by alfredoh2009