Game 47 Ottawa at Montreal 7pm Tuesday Jan 23

Do you think the Habs can fight for a wildcard spot next season?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Habs make the playoffs in 2024/2025?

• Yes
    • No

Why do you not respond in the thread specifically created for the game?

11 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Struble had a great game :

Is Struble the real deal? I mean, he kinda came out of nowhere, little pedigree and no hype. And although he’s had a few less-than-stellar games in recent tilts, by and large he seems to do is bring a strong game on the nightly. By contrast, a fairly hyped prospect like Barron has been in and out, hit and miss. What do we make of this?

Heard this on TSN690 this morning ... Tankathon has a "strength of schedule" rating page and, per them, the Habs have the 4th hardest schedule in the NHL for the rest of this season.

1 minute ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Is Struble the real deal? I mean, he kinda came out of nowhere, little pedigree and no hype. And although he’s had a few less-than-stellar games in recent tilts, by and large he seems to do is bring a strong game on the nightly. By contrast, a fairly hyped prospect like Barron has been in and out, hit and miss. What do we make of this?

Young defencemen are second only to goalies in being difficult to project?

Struble was picked 46 in 2019 but was derided as a muscle/character pick by MB/TT at least in this forum. If you want to compare to Harris, he was picked #71 in 2018. I am no prospect expert, but I remember clearly that the old brass was always high on him.

He did sort of come out of nowhere, not the hype of the other prospects and I think he prefers it that way.  Struble seems to be a no nonsense, nose to the grindstone, tough as nails kind of guy who will continue to work hard to improve while Barron has relied more on finesse and a more refined offensive game. If you put the two together you might have 1 heck of a defensemen. 

14 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Struble was picked 46 in 2019 but was derided as a muscle/character pick by MB/TT at least in this forum. If you want to compare to Harris, he was picked #71 in 2018. I am no prospect expert, but I remember clearly that the old brass was always high on him.

Fair point. And Timmins always had a good eye for defencemen; worth keeping in mind. Perhaps what this shows is that fan hype over prospects is a fickle thing. If this were (God forbid) still the MB era, Struble might have been more pumped up by fans desperate for hope.

Re: the post below, I have the same impression of his mindset. He makes me think of Wifi in that sense - a guy who just seems emotionally implacable, unlikely to go through crises of confidence or other manifestations of mental drama that we sometimes get from kids. You have the sense of a guy who arrives in the NHL without any entitlement complex, fully committed to doing what it takes, day in and day out.

11 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

He did sort of come out of nowhere, not the hype of the other prospects and I think he prefers it that way.  Struble seems to be a no nonsense, nose to the grindstone, tough as nails kind of guy who will continue to work hard to improve while Barron has relied more on finesse and a more refined offensive game. If you put the two together you might have 1 heck of a defensemen. 

38 minutes ago, Viking said:

😐why can we never play a full three periods? always running out of gas.

welcome to the board @Viking

any board member can create a thread, like you did; but like @GHT120 points out, we have agreed to keep conversations related to a thread topic within that thread so that we don't get lost in a sprawl of comments here and there.

looking forward to your posts and comments :)

2 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Fair point. And Timmins always had a good eye for defencemen; worth keeping in mind. Perhaps what this shows is that fan hype over prospects is a fickle thing. If this were (God forbid) still the MB era, Struble might have been more pumped up by fans desperate for hope.

Re: the post below, I have the same impression of his mindset. He makes me think of Wifi in that sense - a guy who just seems emotionally implacable, unlikely to go through crises of confidence or other manifestations of mental drama that we sometimes get from kids. You have the sense of a guy who arrives in the NHL without any entitlement complex, fully committed to doing what it takes, day in and day out.

he was left alone in the NCAA and spent a reasonable amount of time in the AHL. That is certainly a factor.

Tuch and Kapanen are to other "sleeper" picks that may surprise if they develop by taking a longer route. they are 2nd rounders that rarely show up in the news but that seem to still be long-shots to make the AHL and maybe fill a bottom-6 role

1 hour ago, sim.on said:

Something that may show that the Habs have over achieved a little based on their record this season. 

They have the worst goal differential in the Eastern conference and only the sharks, Blackhawks and ducks are worse in the whole league.

In the end, goal differential doesn't matter, wins and losses do. You can lose three games 10-0 in the cup final and still win the cup as long as you win each one of the other games by at least a goal.

P.S. Five on five, the Habs are -11, 25th in the league and bad but not ridiculously bad (San Jose is -58). It's the special teams that are particularly bad.

15 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

In the end, goal differential doesn't matter, wins and losses do. You can lose three games 10-0 in the cup final and still win the cup as long as you win each one of the other games by at least a goal.

P.S. Five on five, the Habs are -11, 25th in the league and bad but not ridiculously bad (San Jose is -58). It's the special teams that are particularly bad.

But it is often indicative over the course of a season ... last season ... the 12 worst teams in points and differential were a perfect match except for Washington being 22nd on differential but 25th in points.

49 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Is Struble the real deal? I mean, he kinda came out of nowhere ...

He had some injury issues ... missed 13 games his freshman season ... it may have stunted enthusiasm for him amongst the fanbase ... we do tend to look for the NEW bright shiny prospect.

2 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

But it is often indicative over the course of a season ... last season ... the 12 worst teams in points and differential were a perfect match except for Washington being 22nd on differential but 25th in points.

Agreed, over the course of a season it tends to even out as opposed to a short series. 

Another thing I like about Struble is that after spending 4 seasons in college he could have signed anywhere if he had waited a few months. However he signed with the team that drafted him knowing there were a lot of good young defense prospects on the left side.  That showed loyalty and confidence. Two important attributes that I am fond of. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Another thing I like about Struble is that after spending 4 seasons in college he could have signed anywhere if he had waited a few months. However he signed with the team that drafted him knowing there were a lot of good young defense prospects on the left side.  That showed loyalty and confidence. Two important attributes that I am fond of. 

I agree ... were I cynical I would point out that by signing on March 15, 2023 he got to play, and be paid AHL money, for 9 games last season ... but I really do agree that his signing rather than waiting is a very good sign ... Hughes was a "Struble family adviser" when Kent was an agent, so Jayden also had a comfort factor with the organization.

4 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

I agree ... were I cynical I would point out that by signing on March 15, 2023 he got to play, and be paid AHL money, for 9 games last season ... but I really do agree that his signing rather than waiting is a very good sign ... Hughes was a "Struble family adviser" when Kent was an agent, so Jayden also had a comfort factor with the organization.

But you are not cynical. LOL  I wasn't aware of the Hughes connection prior so that probably helped. 

4 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

But you are not cynical. LOL  I wasn't aware of the Hughes connection prior so that probably helped. 

Based on the AHL minimum salary and the AHL salary under his contract, he made  $6.6-8.75K for those 9 games ... so nothing to sneeze at but not enough to make him go somewhere he didn't want to be.

3 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Why do you not respond in the thread specifically created for the game?

just joined, testing this site. thanks for the feedback

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

welcome to the board @Viking

any board member can create a thread, like you did; but like @GHT120 points out, we have agreed to keep conversations related to a thread topic within that thread so that we don't get lost in a sprawl of comments here and there.

looking forward to your posts and comments :)

that makes sense. will keep that in mind

5 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

We need to get a top notch forward at the draft

Disagree, 100%

if Habs pick 5th and 5th BPA on Habs ranking list is a d-man, take him.

5 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

We need to get a top notch forward 

Agree, 100%

5 hours ago, Viking said:

😐why can we never play a full three periods? always running out of gas.

Cheers.

Gotta point out, the Habs are winning 100% of their games when have a lead after 2nd period?

27 minutes ago, DON said:

Disagree, 100%

It really depends. If the #5 BPA is 5% better, for example, (however that's defined!) than the #6 player, and the #6 is a forward, then the forward make sense. But if the gap is big, then I do agree.

32 minutes ago, DON said:

Disagree, 100%

Agree ... ***if*** THEIR 6th BPA is a forward but there is a CLEAR distinction from their 5th BPA, who is a defenceman ... if/when players are "equal" I expect their internal rankings will favour forwards this season.