Brandon Gignac signed to 2-yr, 2-way Contract

GHT120

So Monahan's contract slot gets used.

I am very happy for Gignac, I've been mentioning him as the most deserving center in Laval that should be rewarded with a recall.

:hyper:

Gignac seems like a nice story - cut loose by the Devils, signed as an organizational depth move by the Habs, he’s become a late bloomer.

Whether he has any meaningful NHL future is another question, but given the Habs’ situation at C, if I’m him, I’m excited. I know I’ll get a chance.

• dlbalr changed the title to Brandon Gignac signed to 2-yr, 2-way Contract

Apparently signing the contract means he is on the NHL roster

So he likely gets at least one game.

he is waiver eligible, and Anthony Marcotte was quoting André Savard as saying that he believed that Gignac would get picked up by an NHL team, if not this season then next.

He is having a great season in the AHL

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

So he likely gets at least one game.

It wouldn't surprise me if he's up for the rest of the season.  He was that effective in Laval and plays a style that should endear him to the coaches quickly.

I thought he needs to clear waivers only to get sent down. Signing mid-season puts him on NHL roster.

Looks like we open up after all star break with Suzuki Evan Gignac Condotta down the middle

1 hour ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

I thought he needs to clear waivers only to get sent down. Signing mid-season puts him on NHL roster.

Looks like we open up after all star break with Suzuki Evan Gignac Condotta down the middle

At least until Newhook is back, i would guess.

1 minute ago, Commandant said:

Condotta was sent down.  He may be recalled but it could be Stephens or someone else too.  We shall see.

He was called back up today with Gignac and took part in practice.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, johnnyhasbeen said:

Hope this means Newhook will stay on the wing where he belongs. He is much more effective there.

We'll never know what he would be able to do at centre, if we don't give him a shot there.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

We'll never know what he would be able to do at centre, if we don't give him a shot there.

Yup, I think he's a winger too, but we need to at least give him a chance.  No better time than now, given that we aren't in the playoff race. 

2 hours ago, johnnyhasbeen said:

Hope this means Newhook will stay on the wing where he belongs. He is much more effective there.

Unless Condotta and Gignac both stay with the team, the Habs' only other centres are Suzuki and Evans.

6 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Unless Condotta and Gignac both stay with the team, the Habs' only other centres are Suzuki and Evans.

It's doubtful they'll both be around once Newhook returns; one of them (likely Condotta) would have to be sent down to activate Newhook (unless a goalie is traded by then to open a roster spot).  I'd expect Suzuki/Newhook/Evans/Gignac as the centres for the stretch run.