Game #69: Habs @ Vancouver Canucks, 10 PM on March 21

Monty seemed to lose his net on a couple goals, he was drifting to his blocker side and left too much room on his left.

On the broadcast, Mudryk is at least passable but Craig Button is absolutely dreadful. No chemistry with his partner, often starts a sentence without finishing it, and effusively praises mediocre players to the point of senselessness. 

27 minutes ago, Neech said:

On the broadcast, Mudryk is at least passable but Craig Button is absolutely dreadful. No chemistry with his partner, often starts a sentence without finishing it, and effusively praises mediocre players to the point of senselessness. 

I think you're being generous with Mudryk but Button also doesn't do colour commentary most of the time.  He does a bit internationally and a handful of West Coast Montreal games each year and that's it.  I expect there will be some stumbles along the way as a result.  But, generally speaking, that's not the type of role Button should do well in.  The problem is that so few watch the English games so TSN can't justify putting any money into the broadcast; that's why they don't have a full-time colour guy and use the RDS feed for production/replays.

10 hours ago, parksville habsfan said:

A lot of us out west would watch the English game if it didn't cost an arm and a leg to do it.

$200 for the full season of Habs games (on Sportsnet) is reasonable for me. Less than $3/game and no blackouts.

34 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

$200 for the full season of Habs games (on Sportsnet) is reasonable for me. Less than $3/game and no blackouts.

I agree that the price isn’t outrageous. 

The thing that pisses me off is that if I lived a couple hundred kilometres east then the Habs games would be on regular TV like 90% of the leaf games are in my area  

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

Used to be about $100 for rds/tva, now is $250 for centreice, what can ya do, just more $$ to help Molson pay Price.

It’s only “reasonable” if you forget what it was like before Sportsnet took over. I used to get almost all Habs games on RDS as part of my cable package for a grand total of $5/month. So: far superior coverage and commentary than the crap SN throws at you for Habs games, at 1/3 the cost.

3 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

It’s only “reasonable” if you forget what it was like before Sportsnet took over. I used to get almost all Habs games on RDS as part of my cable package for a grand total of $5/month. So: far superior coverage and commentary than the crap SN throws at you for Habs games, at 1/3 the cost.

Most of games seem like are TSN on centreice, which is much more bearable, than the nationwide Sportsnet ones, but was good to hear Ray Ferraro again.

His comment from ice level, on the young Habs bitching to the refs too much was interesting.

22 minutes ago, DON said:

Most of games seem like are TSN on centreice, which is much more bearable, than the nationwide Sportsnet ones, but was good to hear Ray Ferraro again.

His comment from ice level, on the young Habs bitching to the refs too much was interesting.

I do love Ferraro. So there’s that 🤔

2 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I agree that the price isn’t outrageous. 

The thing that pisses me off is that if I lived a couple hundred kilometres east then the Habs games would be on regular TV like 90% of the leaf games are in my area  

We are in the same city, so, yes! Although I have cable package anyway. 🙂

I do think that there would be a fair number of games not shown in eastern Ontario, though. Maybe?

1 hour ago, DON said:

Used to be about $100 for rds/tva, now is $250 for centreice, what can ya do, just more $$ to help Molson pay Price.

You can get Sportsnet for $200 if you call them in September and complain.

39 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Yes. Although it did require also having the cable package! But when many people spend $100+/mo on cable, I'm very happy with $200/year. And streaming is more flexible than cable, which has value for me personally at least.

7 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Yes. Although it did require also having the cable package! But when many people spend $100+/mo on cable, I'm very happy with $200/year. And streaming is more flexible than cable, which has value for me personally at least.

If you don’t have cable at all, then what you say makes sense. 

Unfortunately my wife wants cable in addition to our various streaming services. 😬 So I was waaay better off under the old model.

18 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

We are in the same city, so, yes! Although I have cable package anyway. 🙂

I do think that there would be a fair number of games not shown in eastern Ontario, though. Maybe?

There is a boundary that puts you in the RDS market. I think that boundary might be Kingston but I’m not 100% sure. 

4 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

If you don’t have cable at all, then what you say makes sense. 

Unfortunately my wife wants cable in addition to our various streaming services. 😬 So I was waaay better off under the old model.

LOL my wife also insists on cable and the only show she watches is CNN. We pay 100 bucks a month for CNN. 

I too remember the days of $5 a month RDS that went up to $8 at some point. Got to watch 100% of the games for peanuts. 

I will say that the Sportsnet streaming app is great. You can watch the game anytime and anywhere TV, phone, laptop. I actually stream through my Xbox to the TV. 

Bonus is that many of the games are TSN broadcast and Mike Johnson is simply outstanding at colour commentary. 

2 hours ago, DON said:

... just more $$ to help Molson pay Price.

Don't believe Molson gets a penny of that ... just helping Rogers pay down their overbid for NHL rights.

32 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

There is a boundary that puts you in the RDS market. I think that boundary might be Kingston but I’m not 100% sure. 

LOL my wife also insists on cable and the only show she watches is CNN. We pay 100 bucks a month for CNN. 

I too remember the days of $5 a month RDS that went up to $8 at some point. Got to watch 100% of the games for peanuts. 

I will say that the Sportsnet streaming app is great. You can watch the game anytime and anywhere TV, phone, laptop. I actually stream through my Xbox to the TV. 

Bonus is that many of the games are TSN broadcast and Mike Johnson is simply outstanding at colour commentary. 

What is the deal with wives who want cable?? In the case of my missus, it's channels like Makeful and the Food Network that compel me to shill out, LOL.

I like the shout out to Mike Johnson! I've said many times, he is ridiculously underrated in the hockey commentary community. One of the few guys you can listen to and actually learn something from.

50 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

What is the deal with wives who want cable?? In the case of my missus, it's channels like Makeful and the Food Network that compel me to shill out, LOL.

I count myself lucky that the Mrs doesn't demand it! My mother-in-law needs one channel but fortunately we can pick that up with an inexpensive indoor antenna. 🙂 Otherwise all we have is Sportsnet (for me) and Prime at the moment.

On 3/22/2024 at 11:12 AM, DON said:

Why is it, that the losing team's fans seems is the only one to ever complain about this.

This is a good point. But the early reffing misses didn't help. Ghule goes off for interference. Next shift back, takes an elbow to the shops and nothing. But the Habs were outclassed and deserved to lose.

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I like the shout out to Mike Johnson! I've said many times, he is ridiculously underrated in the hockey commentary community. One of the few guys you can listen to and actually learn something from.

On the first point, discovery plus satisfied the wife. On the second, you are so correct. He's the best in the biz in my opinion.