Game 78 Philly at Habs 7pm Tuesday April 9

Are the Habs going to add a first line forward this offseason?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. What’s your prediction?

• Yes
    • No

1 hour ago, sbhatt said:

Well, if you're going to insist on picking up harmful points, that's the way to do it.  The Flyers looked like a team trying to get their coach fired tonight...Torts is done.

Looks that way, and I know he's a twat, but it's kind of hard to fathom that they go through half the season chewing through rope and surpassing all expectations, then suddenly flip and turn on the coach. Did he do or say something that turned the room against him, or what? 

16 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Looks that way, and I know he's a twat, but it's kind of hard to fathom that they go through half the season chewing through rope and surpassing all expectations, then suddenly flip and turn on the coach. Did he do or say something that turned the room against him, or what? 

Sat out their captain and apparently didn’t have a discussion with Couturier before he sat him.

Great to see Juraj get a hat trick, obviously a big confidence builder. Anderson's goal gave me hope that he can turn it around. It was the kind of play we need to see more often, skating hard and driving toward the net. When he does that he can be tough to handle. he hasn't done that enough this year. 

11 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Even Anderson scored! 

Typical Anderson goal ... nothing at all to do with his linemates.

Interesting result and fun game for home fans.

5 points for Harris(23:04)-Kovacevic & Matheson with his 3rd straight 2pt game.

10 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Healthy Scratched Sean Couturier without warning... the team captain. 

3 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Typical Anderson goal ... nothing at all to do with his linemates.

Three issues with Anderson. One is the kind of player he has always been, even at his best: a one-note piledriver who has zero vision and doesn't use his linemates. It's a fair criticism, but I don't think it does us much good to criticize him for being that (as MSL found out). 

The second issue is that his scoring evaporated this season. When your whole thing is being a 20-goal, 35-point bulldozer, and then you get 9 goals, you have zero offensive game to fall back on.

The third issue is that Anderson - who was always effective away from the puck, along the boards, being physical and dirty, a complete nightmare to play against in that sense - seems to have dropped that aspect of his game too (perhaps because he's become so lost, his confidence shattered). THAT Anderson doesn't even belong in the league.

We need Josh Anderson to return to being Josh Anderson. Return to being hard to play against. Start scoring again. If he can do that, then I won't criticize him for having the playmaking skills of John Kordic. 

Whatever mental health strategies worked on Armia should also be applied to Anderson this summer. I don't think he's lost a step (?), so the problem must be either conditioning or between his ears.

14 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

The clock struck midnight for the Flyers, reversion to the mean, whatever you want to call it. I never thought the Flyers were a playoff team and it is finally showing. When they lost 6-2 in Columbus in an important game it became pretty obvious they were done. Torts was a coach of the year candidate for a long time but perhaps not anymore. 

Yeah, I think it's more this than anything.  This is a team that was 'built' to contend for first overall in the lottery standings and even sold at the trade deadline when they were in a playoff spot.  A letdown was bound to happen.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Yeah, I think it's more this than anything.  This is a team that was 'built' to contend for first overall in the lottery standings and even sold at the trade deadline when they were in a playoff spot.  A letdown was bound to happen.

Thats all true, and I'm not surprised by them dropping out of the playoff race. 

However, this seems more than just reversion to the mean.... losing 8 in a row... losing blowout games to Columbus and Montreal, two bottom feeders where you don't even compete in the game, just get destroyed.  This is more than a team who was getting the bounces and the bounces stopped.  This is going off the rails and it happening just after Torts ripped the team in a press conference and scratched the captain is just too coincidental to not go to the quitting on the coach as part of the explanation too. 

I just don't think that Torts is the right coach for a rebuilding team. Being a coach for a rebuilding team requires a lot of patience and that just doesn't seem to be Torts strong suit. The Flyers over achieved early in the year and that led to expectations being higher than they should be, they were ripe for a letdown. 

Actually, I believe Torts has been most successful with young teams. Rebuilding Rags, rebuilding Columbus, Tampa when they were developing into champs. He completely flopped with a veteran team in Vancouver. And he had great success in Philly UNTIL, as others noted, he crapped on and humiliated the veteran captain. 

Veterans probably tire quickly of his ego and his abuse. Young players, hungry and eager, are probably more willing to follow him, especially when his demanding style has them suddenly winning games after years of failure. 

He's a jackass in my book, anyhow, so I'm not shedding tears over his problems.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Actually, I believe Torts has been most successful with young teams. Rebuilding Rags, rebuilding Columbus, Tampa when they were developing into champs. He completely flopped with a veteran team in Vancouver. And he had great success in Philly UNTIL, as others noted, he crapped on and humiliated the veteran captain. 

Veterans probably tire quickly of his ego and his abuse. Young players, hungry and eager, are probably more willing to follow him, especially when his demanding style has them suddenly winning games after years of failure. 

He's a jackass in my book, anyhow, so I'm not shedding tears over his problems.

Fair point, Torts is a polarizing figure. He wears his emotions on his sleeve, he is demanding and holds players accountable. Not all players like that. I have also heard players who have played for him say that he was one of the only coaches they had who actually cared about them as people. He makes mistakes like any coach but he also has a lot of positives. 

John Tortorella: In the Words of His Players (thehockeywriters.com)

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Fair point, Torts is a polarizing figure. He wears his emotions on his sleeve, he is demanding and holds players accountable. Not all players like that. I have also heard players who have played for him say that he was one of the only coaches they had who actually cared about them as people. He makes mistakes like any coach but he also has a lot of positives. 

John Tortorella: In the Words of His Players (thehockeywriters.com)

There is no doubt that some players will like him. 

However there is also a long list of players who have asked to be traded after he has rubbed them the wrong way. 

Polarizing is the right word. 

40 minutes ago, Commandant said:

... However there is also a long list of players who have asked to be traded after he has rubbed them the wrong way ...

For once, Google wasn't helpful in turning up a list ... the $64,000 Question is whether the players who "asked out" are players you can build a winning team around, or are they "me first" types who couldn't handle Torts' expectations/accountability.

Other than his "1 & done" stint in Vancouver, Torts well exceeded the average term (2-3 years) for NHL head coaches in New York, Tampa and Columbus ... won't be surprised if he is back next season in Philly.

47 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

For once, Google wasn't helpful in turning up a list ... the $64,000 Question is whether the players who "asked out" are players you can build a winning team around, or are they "me first" types who couldn't handle Torts' expectations/accountability.

Other than his "1 & done" stint in Vancouver, Torts well exceeded the average term (2-3 years) for NHL head coaches in New York, Tampa and Columbus ... won't be surprised if he is back next season in Philly.

Vinny Lecavalier famously wanted to be traded because of Torts, and the GM/owner refused to make the trade.  Otherwise he would have been a Leaf in 2002. 

Brandon Dubinsky, JT Miller, Ryan Johansen, PL Dubois, Kevin Hayes, Marion Gaborik,  Carl Hagelin, are guys who got traded. 

In New York Henrik Lundqvist, Chris Kreider, and others led a mutiny where they would ask to be traded if he wasn't let go. 

So its a mix of both types.