2023/2024 season playoff discussion

4 hours ago, DON said:

The guy did have 8 hits in last nights game, so not coasting the whole game and has 1g 4 shots in the 2 games.

He definitely made the initial hit on their Dmen when hunting pucks. 

Dubois just didn’t seem to compete beyond that. Like no drive to battle the boards or drive play. 

He seems lazy but maybe it’s just his style leaving that impression 🤷‍♂️

2 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

He seems lazy but maybe it’s just his style leaving that impression 🤷‍♂️

Frank Mahovlich was tagged with that label as well ... sometimes it is a matter of style, sometimes it is a matter of laziness ... Frank was style.

It’s wild to see Florida crushing Tampa. 

We all knew Tampa was sunsetting but all that elite talent is about to get swept. 

Will they trade vets and rebuild or double down and try to win one more time?

Can’t stand Tampa either way. 

Tonight, Canucks better show up. You hear that Pettersson? 

35 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

We all knew Tampa was sunsetting but all that elite talent is about to get swept. 

I don't really hate Tampa, even though they've absolutely owned us over the years; but it's about bloody time the sun finally sets on them. It irks me, sort of in general, when soulless markets like Tampa or Vegas enjoy massive, bloated success for years and years. (I tend to think of Carolina the same way, probably unfairly since they did endure years of suckage).

As for the Canucks, Pettersson - who I love as a player - looks completely lost. It's so bad that he'll probably need time to work his way out of it. The Preds have also done a good job of containing Hughes, JT Miller, and Boeser. But the Canucks will argue that they did show up last game - they had a ridiculous number of shot attempts and dominated possession.

I think an underplayed story tonight is the return of Tyler Myers. His replacement, Juulsen, was putrid, and with Shakey DeSmith in net they cannot have a rodeo clown taking minutes on D. 

My other thought on that series is that it's a war of attrition. The Preds have been blocking insane numbers of shots and absorbing considerable physical punishment. They can win the series that way, but then again it might wear on them over time. Keep blasting pucks at them. And FFS stop missing the net when you do get a chance.

16 hours ago, GHT120 said:

*** IF *** this is true, it explains his absence ... but why not just announce it?  ... trying to avoid the "official" concussion protocol?  ... conspiracy theorists want to know.

The possibility of it being concussion-related raises the question of when that occurred ... he played all 82 games this season ... was there an incident in the final game vs TBL?  ... since then?

This isn't the first time this has happened to him, crept up a couple of years ago as well.  I legitimately think they're not sure if it's just migraines or if it is a concussion even though he keeps passing baseline testing which makes it hard to say anything.  Of course, at this time of year, you're lucky to get upper-body or lower-body as an announcement.

3 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

What's odd is that Tampa isn't playing bad at all in that series.  They could easily be up if it wasn't for the good version of Bobrovsky showing up.  Don't sense a rebuild is in the cards either way; with a bit more cap flexibility opening up, they might take one more crack with this crew.

Zdorov is having one hell of a series. He can be dodgy over 82, but damn is he a beast in a short series.

Pettersson looks better tonight, but Hughes seems rattled by all the hits.

McCarron has been a factor in the series, but the hit on Shakey DeSmith was outrageous and I'm glad Miller made him pay.

Just now, Prime Minister Koivu said:

How are the shots 5-3 after that period? Five PPs and enormous Ozone time. 

Gutless to knock down a goalie like that. 

It's that kinda series. The Canucks are an elite defensive team and Nashville is blocking shots and collapsing in front of the G like crazy.

26 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

It's that kinda series. The Canucks are an elite defensive team and Nashville is blocking shots and collapsing in front of the G like crazy.

2-0 after two periods, on seven shots. .500 shooting on PP--and only three shots five-on-five. That is crazy!

22 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

2-0 after two periods, on seven shots. .500 shooting on PP--and only three shots five-on-five. That is crazy!

But it's not like Soros has sucked. Basically that's what Nashville got last game - opportunistic scoring.

It's good for Van that Miller and Boser scored. Their big guns need to deliver. Now Pettersson needs to break the playoff goose-egg, and they can put that narrative to rest.

Bit of a scary first period by Vancouver but they played a dynamite second period and a strong third too. 

Preds are doing everything they can to inflict pain on the Nucks. Tons of hard hits but lots of dirty stuff going on. 

Two more wins Vancouver 🎉

Didnt watch the Jets game but I’m happy with the outcome. I want the best draft pick possible. 

The Aves skaters are just better than Hellebuyck.

Lehkonen doing well and Parise is still smart player.

Speed of Mackinnon and quickness of Makar dosent hurt.

3points/game, someone seems to be making most of playoffs so far.

image.png

Will the Isles and or Tampa be swept today?

2 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Didnt watch the Jets game but I’m happy with the outcome. I want the best draft pick possible. 

Yes, definitely want the Avs to win.  Going in I really thought the Jets were going to win as they entered the playoffs on a heater (won 8 in a row) beats the Avs all 3 times this year and had the better goaltending.  But the playoffs are always a new story and Hellebucyk has been less than stellar.  Still a long way to go. 

Watching the Jets-Avs highlights ... the turnover looked good on Scheifele on Lehkonen's 4-2 goal

Watching the Avs/Jets series, one player I've never paid a ton of attention to has stood out to me. Josh Morrisey. He seems to me like the best player on the ice for the Jets thus far.

MacKinnon quietly has 5 points in 3 games, but if that second line gets going like they did last night, I think they'll make it through. Mittelstadt seems to be getting comfortable.

On 4/25/2024 at 6:03 AM, GHT120 said:

Do you believe that TO has chosen not to play Nylander or that he has been physically unable to play?

I think he is supposed to play today.

8 minutes ago, DON said:

I think he is supposed to play today.

The original question was because @Helmethead seemed to imply that Nylander could have played but that TO chose to sit him.

7 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

The original question was because @Helmethead seemed to imply that Nylander could have played but that TO chose to sit him.

I know, just more update thats all.

Isles/Carolina 1-1 after 2nd.

1 hour ago, DON said:

Isles/Carolina 1-1 after 2nd.

2-2 going into OT2 now. Three of the four goals scored on power plays: only one even-strength goal in spite of the total of 80 shots on net.

• tomh009 changed the title to 2023/2024 season playoff discussion