2023/2024 season playoff discussion

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

2-2 going into OT2 now. Three of the four goals scored on power plays: only one even-strength goal in spite of the total of 80 shots on net.

3-2 Islanders ... DOUBLE overtime 

2 minutes ago, Helmethead said:

Nothing makes me happier than watching the maple leafs disintegrate. 

It's an annual springtime ritual!

31 minutes ago, Helmethead said:

Nothing makes me happier than watching the maple leafs disintegrate. 

I won't say too much until the Bruins win one more game. Then I will just smile a bit on the inside and have a nice restful sleep.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, sbhatt said:

The misery in Leafs Nation is warming my soul.

Indeedy.

"TORONTO — Eight years and nine playoff series into their shared tenure as saviors of the Maple Leafs, three of the best individual performers in franchise history were reduced to sniping at one another on the bench after bumbling through an ineffective shift together.

William Nylander appeared to direct pointed criticism at Mitch Marner. Auston Matthews looked to have some words for his teammate(s), too. Marner turned and tossed each of his gloves to the ground in frustration...."

Johnston: This is the end of the Maple Leafs as we know them - The Athletic

Image result for ha ha funny

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I expect major changes on the Leafs if they don't win. A defense of Lyubuskin, Benoit, Edmundson etc. is just not good enough. Those are journeymen defensemen!!   They need to spend less money up front and more on the blueline (Captain Obvious statement).  Treliving will not be afraid to make changes. 

Ahahahaha great comments on here!! 🤣🤣🤣

As glorious as it is to see the Leafs crap out YET AGAIN, Boston is a team I would have greatly feared going into these playoffs. They were humiliated last playoff and are a battle hardened team with excellent goaltending. Elite teams that go through humiliation are always super dangerous.

Keefe is gone, surely, if current trends continue.

I was watching the American feed of the Rangers game and Mark Messier and PK Subban pulled apart the leafs play. 

They interacted with a giant map where they showed a few clips of where the leaf forwards are not in good technical position when in their Dzone. 

They showed three examples of Boston goals because of poor technical positions by leaf forwards. 

Both commentators agreed that Keefe was to blame because this was basic stuff. 

12 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Ahahahaha great comments on here!! 🤣🤣🤣

As glorious as it is to see the Leafs crap out YET AGAIN, Boston is a team I would have greatly feared going into these playoffs. They were humiliated last playoff and are a battle hardened team with excellent goaltending. Elite teams that go through humiliation are always super dangerous.

Boston played so frigging well for most of that game that I think they have a real shot. I hadn’t thought that before. 

Let’s see if they can match the speed of the Rangers. 

I said before and I say it again, you don’t play a generational scorer like Mathews with two grinder type players. Mathews needs an elite playmaking passer. 

Still, I won’t be relaxed until the leafs are officially eliminated. 

18 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Treliving will not be afraid to make changes. 

With everyone with a $5M+ AAV under NMC/NTCs any changes will likely be in how he spends his $18M of cap space .. he needs a legit starting goalie (and backup), 3 legit Top 4 defencemen and forward depth. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

15 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

If the Leafs go out to Boston, Berube will be the next coach of the Leafs.  Or is he too smart to take that on??

5 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I agree Keefe is gone ... the question is does it stop there or does it start at the top with Shanahan and potentially put Treliving and Keefe on the block as well?

I expect Berube to be a (the?) "hot commodity" for NHL head coaching positions this off-season ... unless the Leafs clean house and Craig is the choice of the "full new regime", I expect he is too smart to hitch his wagon to the Leafs.

NOTE: by "full new regime" I mean that New-President fires Treliving and picks his own GM ... if a N-P keeps Trevling that is no guarantee that Brad has any sort of future ... the N-P could just be deferring a decision until summer 2025 to see what happens with Tavares and Marner ... can Treliving move them ... or does he get permission to extend either/both ... does a New-Pres just let both walk and pull a quick "re-load" ... regardless, a N-P keeping Treliving offers Berube no real security/support.

3 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I was watching the American feed of the Rangers game and Mark Messier and PK Subban pulled apart the leafs play. 

They interacted with a giant map where they showed a few clips of where the leaf forwards are not in good technical position when in their Dzone. 

They showed three examples of Boston goals because of poor technical positions by leaf forwards. 

I think the easiest thing for an analyst to do is find a defensive breakdown somewhere, anywhere whenever a goal is scored.  Giving up 3 goals is not awful, scoring only 1 is the problem. 

6 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Colorado is taking it to the jets. Score is only 2-1 but Colorado has chances after chances and boom there it is 3-1

Aves simply have looked too strong & deep for past number of periods.

1 minute ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I think the easiest thing for an analyst to do is find a defensive breakdown somewhere, anywhere whenever a goal is scored.  Giving up 3 goals is not awful, scoring only 1 is the problem. 

What they showed was the same problem three different times. 

In their own zone, the leaf centre and both wingers are against their board’s battling 3 bruin players. 

the three bruin players are on the outside with the three leaf players against the glass - this is supposed to be the other way around with the three leaf players on the outside pushing the three bruins against the glass as they battle. 

Because the leafs are against the glass, when the bruins win the battle there are no players to block their path to the net - because the leafs are in the wrong position. 

Man is Lehkonen ever having a great series.  I haven't seen much of the Aves since their cup run 2 years ago but I am really impressed with his play.  This is a guy people said was good defensively but had very little offensive upside.  Was that ever wrong. 

11 minutes ago, Peter Puck said:

Man is Lehkonen ever having a great series.  I haven't seen much of the Aves since their cup run 2 years ago but I am really impressed with his play.  This is a guy people said was good defensively but had very little offensive upside.  Was that ever wrong. 

He had just as many chances when he played for the Habs. Difference is that he is actually scoring off of those chances now. 

I think the entire board liked Lehkonen very much and were really happy when he won that cup. 

• Like 3

• tomh009 changed the title to 2023/2024 season playoff discussion