2023/2024 season playoff discussion

9 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Curious how Florida responds.

Surely they were too rested and relaxed while the Bruins were still game 7 pumped. 

Strange how the perceived impact of a layoff (rested/rusty) or a long, tough series (tired/pumped) is always dependent on the result of the game ... I-M-O it is what the teams make of it.

3 hours ago, Commandant said:

I just like seeing it blow up in Dundon/Waddell's face though.  I think they deserve the ridicule that their revenge offer sheet failed so badly.

I think most feel that way about Dundon/Waddell as they tried to rub it in on the Habs at the time, good on them. Offer sheets rarely work out and I think Hughes knows this so I don't expect a repeat. 

Was KK immature when he was with the Habs?  Yes   Did the Habs make a big mistake keeping him here as an 18 year old? Yes   Can you blame KK for jumping at the money?  No

Time to move on. He isn't coming back here. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Rangers and Carolina is some exciting hockey. Great change of pace from these low scoring grinders we had lately. 

Tremendous game, thought Carolina deserved better but Shesterkin was so good. Necas and Jarvis really impressed me and of course Aho is tremendous. 

I don't have a favourite here so I just enjoyed the game. I can't really cheer for Carolina because of their owner/management but I also can't cheer for the guy that shortened Price's career. Just great hockey played at a fast pace. 

34 minutes ago, Commandant said:

A reminder... in the summer of 2021, instead of re-signing Vincent Trochek as their #2c, the hurricanes let him walk as a UFA, spending $6million on an offer sheet for Jesperi Kotkaniemi.

Trocheck played over 35 minutes tonight and scored the double OT winner.  Kk played 9:15 and was a -1

All cause Tom Dundon and Don Waddell were butthurt over the Aho Offer Sheet.

I never would have remembered or put this together but this is exactly what happened. 

Canes really screwed themselves with their revenge plan. 

15 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Tremendous game, thought Carolina deserved better but Shesterkin was so good. Necas and Jarvis really impressed me and of course Aho is tremendous. 

I don't have a favourite here so I just enjoyed the game. I can't really cheer for Carolina because of their owner/management but I also can't cheer for the guy that shortened Price's career. Just great hockey played at a fast pace. 

Both teams have a relentless rush game and it’s so much fun to watch. 

Colorado game is really great too

What a nice comeback by the Aves after being down 3-0 in the 1st period.

I thought was game over, should be a fun series.

image.png

This fellow is doing 'well'

image.png

9 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I never would have remembered or put this together but this is exactly what happened. 

Canes really screwed themselves with their revenge plan. 

[...]

Karma is a B🐶TCH

9 hours ago, Commandant said:

All cause Tom Dundon and Don Waddell were butthurt over the Aho Offer Sheet.

I think it was more Dumbdumb ... err ... Dundon than Waddell ... Don is a veteran hockey guy and smart enough to know that all MB really succeeded in doing was allowing DW to sign Aho to a market value contract; maybe even forcing Dundon to approve a reasonable contract without Waddell having to be the "bad guy" spending his money.

Bergevin predicated his offer sheet not on over-paying Aho but on front-loading the deal with signing bonuses and league-minimum "actual salary" ... he hoped/gambled that Dundon wouldn't want to pay $11.3M of the $12M first season real-dollars salary as a "before the ink is even dry" signing bonus, with another $9.87M due, technically, less than a year later (they matched on July 2nd, 2nd year bonus was due following July 1st).

The Bergevin offer sheet to Aho was ridiculously low ball and not a serious offer at all. 

That led to revenge by the canes which has screwed them. 

It also led to Bergevin paying WAY TOO MUCH for Dvorak. 

So to me this entire scenario was an idiot GM being an idiot, followed be another idiot GM being an even bigger idiot, followed by the first idiot GM doubling down on his idiotness. 

The only positive in all of this is that we are free of that low class idiot. 

• Like 1

That was a huge win for Colorado considering they might have been a little rusty with the long rest. Theoretically they should only get better from here. Again, cheering for an Avs win as it bumps up the Winnipeg pick a spot. Theoretically doesn't always work though. 

4 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

That was a huge win for Colorado considering they might have been a little rusty with the long rest. Theoretically they should only get better from here. Again, cheering for an Avs win as it bumps up the Winnipeg pick a spot. Theoretically doesn't always work though. 

I worry about Georgiev consistency. Sometimes he is great and sometimes he isn’t. 

It was exciting watching Colorado come back though 

I-M-O this was another chicken-shit attempt to injure by Trouba ... if the NHL truly believed in player safety there would be a suspension ... BTW, I have heard the claim that the elbow only came up because Necas ducked ... Trouba trying to hit Necas' head with the elbow because he didn't succeed him spearing Martin (a) in the head and/or (b) into the boards head first is no excuse as far as I am concerned.

44 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

The Bergevin offer sheet to Aho was ridiculously low ball and not a serious offer at all. 

That led to revenge by the canes which has screwed them. 

It also led to Bergevin paying WAY TOO MUCH for Dvorak. 

So to me this entire scenario was an idiot GM being an idiot, followed be another idiot GM being an even bigger idiot, followed by the first idiot GM doubling down on his idiotness. 

The only positive in all of this is that we are free of that low class idiot. 

Agree with every word of this

3 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

I-M-O this was another chicken-shit attempt to injure by Trouba ... if the NHL truly believed in player safety there would be a suspension ... BTW, I have heard the claim that the elbow only came up because Necas ducked ... Trouba trying to hit Necas' head with the elbow because he didn't succeed him spearing Martin (a) in the head and/or (b) into the boards head first is no excuse as far as I am concerned.

The NHL couldn’t give a whoop about player safety. If they did, they wouldn’t have a guy running that department whose entire living was hitting guys in the head.

45 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I worry about Georgiev consistency. Sometimes he is great and sometimes he isn’t. 

It was exciting watching Colorado come back though 

Agreed, I definitely think Dallas has the edge in goal but I thought the same way with Winnipeg as well. 

Agree with the Trouba comments, takes a lot of cheap hits without backing it up. I find myself cheering for Carolina in this series (despite the GM and owner).  I just can't cheer for Kreider and Trouba. 

9 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Agree with the Trouba comments, takes a lot of cheap hits without backing it up. I find myself cheering for Carolina in this series (despite the GM and owner).  I just can't cheer for Kreider and Trouba. 

The Toronto, Boston paradigm. 

I’ve hated the canes since their cup years and all of their theatrical crap such as the bowling ball thing just fueled that dislike. 

I hope they get swept 

7 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

The Toronto, Boston paradigm. 

I’ve hated the canes since their cup years and all of their theatrical crap such as the bowling ball thing just fueled that dislike. 

I hope they get swept 

Plus, you have to admit that a New York-Boston semi-final would be epically old-school. Not that I’m cheering for Boston. Now that they’ve dispatched Toronto, I want them to die the most excruciating death imaginable.

2 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I often wonder why this is a narrative that is held by some. If it was not serious but rather a ridiculously low ball offer, then why did Aho sign it? 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, illWill said:

I often wonder why this is a narrative that is held by some. If it was not serious but rather a ridiculously low ball offer, then why did Aho sign it? 

It was low-ball in terms of any chance of Carolina not matching ... Aho signed because it was (a) a market-value AAV, (b) front loaded, (c) each year was almost entirely signing bonus paid July 1st, with minimum annual salary which ever-so-slightly from his perspective increases each year per CBA and (d) he was OK with moving to Montréal if Carolina didn't match.

13 minutes ago, illWill said:

Because it was market value. 

You don’t take another team’s star player for market value. The other team simply matches that market value contract. 

And that’s what happened 

So....the offer was market value and that is a low ball offer that isn't serious? I'm not connecting the dots here. Would we rather pay over market value for Aho AND add in the compensatory draft picks? 

36 minutes ago, illWill said:

I thought that it was structured to only loose one first round pick but still to handcuff CAR down the road.

What I forget now is what was the drama leading to it, I think CAR had screwed the Habs in a trade before or that they had outbid each other over some UFAs.

18 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I thought that it was structured to only loose one first round pick but still to handcuff CAR down the road.

What I forget now is what was the drama leading to it, I think CAR had screwed the Habs in a trade before or that they had outbid each other over some UFAs.

That was the reason for the AAV being market-value ... it was also why it wasn't a serious attempt to poach Aho as it allowed Carolina to easily decide to match it.

There were no previous "issues" that I recall ... this is what triggered Dumbdumb ... err ... Dundon to ant to offer sheet KK.

15 minutes ago, illWill said:

So....the offer was market value and that is a low ball offer that isn't serious? I'm not connecting the dots here. Would we rather pay over market value for Aho AND add in the compensatory draft picks? 

As I previously explained above ... the player contract wasn't low-ball, it was market value ... it was a low-ball offer sheet from the perspective of having ANY chance of Carolina not matching ... but clearly you don't care about understanding, just trolling somebody.

• Like 1