2023/2024 season playoff discussion

The Oilers were awful last night, no intensity. How many shots did they get in the 2nd and 3rd period combined?  Five?

They scored early and thought it would be easy, perhaps a good wake up call.  Full credit to the Canucks who played with intensity. I think game 2 will be different. 

5 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Yes that’s one main point, BOTH sides lost

... and Aho and Kotkaniemi won.

2 hours ago, Helmethead said:

I've always believed that the offer sheet Bergevin made was the right one.

He tried to expose Canes ownership's liquidity issues.  They did their research and thought the risk/reward was there.  They obviously did not want to part with higher draft picks.

So in my view it wasn't a low ball offer.

Bergevin's mistake was that he should've known he had a target on his back and protected himself accordingly.

Which he didn't.

And there in lied the problem.

My thoughts exactly.

He found a way (money up front) to potentialy get Sebastian Aho for a 1st and peanuts.  He knew the chances were not that good and decided that it was better to go for it than not doing it.   That's it.  

2 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

The Oilers were awful last night, no intensity. How many shots did they get in the 2nd and 3rd period combined?  Five?

They scored early and thought it would be easy, perhaps a good wake up call.  Full credit to the Canucks who played with intensity. I think game 2 will be different. 

4-1 lead over confidence & then Draisaitle injury was difference makers.

2 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

The way the Oilers were flying in the first I was expecting a lopsided game. 

The second period was when either Edmonton slowed down or Vancouver picked it up. 

The third period was Edmonton letting Vancouver walk right in and get chances. 

Very curious that Mcdavid didn’t register a shot because from what I could tell Vancouver didn’t have a “shutdown” player on him (like Danault shadowing). McDavid played against different lines and D pairings. 

My favourite series of round 2 for sure. Game 2 is going to be a really strong game from Edmonton I bet. I mean a dominant win 

I can’t wait to watch 

2 hours ago, tomh009 said:

... and Aho and Kotkaniemi won.

Aho is a stud and would have got his money eventually anyway, perhaps he got it earlier than he normally would have.  KK got some money but his development is a mess, a lot of blame for that to go around. 

3 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

KK got some money but his development is a mess, a lot of blame for that to go around. 

$40M is pretty good money. Even if he gets bought out this summer he'll have made over $20M by the age of 24, I think that's better than "some". 🙂

8 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

KK got some money but his development is a mess, a lot of blame for that to go around. 

Or he was never going to be more than he is. An nhler but a 3rd 4th liner. Maybe development, maybe not.

Carolina has lost all three games so far, all by a single goal. Trochek has 2g+4a. A brilliant move by Waddell to sign Kotkaniemi to a $5M contract and letting Trochek walk.

3 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Carolina has lost all three games so far, all by a single goal. Trochek has 2g+4a. A brilliant move by Waddell to sign Kotkaniemi to a $5M contract and letting Trochek walk.

Like Hannibal was fond of saying - I love it when a plan works out!

11 hours ago, tomh009 said:

I've always wondered if it was REALLY Don's decision.

13 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

Or he was never going to be more than he is. An nhler but a 3rd 4th liner. Maybe development, maybe not.

I'm in this camp....I believe that he was never worthy of his draft position, and it was a screw-up of epic proportions by Bergevin and his scout team.  How much better would we be with Brady Tkachuk in our top 6?  Or Quinn Hughes on our blueline?  Sickens me.

35 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

I'm in this camp....I believe that he was never worthy of his draft position, and it was a screw-up of epic proportions by Bergevin and his scout team.  How much better would we be with Brady Tkachuk in our top 6?  Or Quinn Hughes on our blueline?  Sickens me.

Even Evan Bouchard

7 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Oil totally dominating the third

I had to get my butt to bed and missed the third. 

Reffing was not good last night at all. The oilers should’ve had a bunch of penalties that weren’t called. 

The Canucks can win this series 

43 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I had to get my butt to bed and missed the third. 

Reffing was not good last night at all. The oilers should’ve had a bunch of penalties that weren’t called. 

The Canucks can win this series 

The reffing was terrible. McJesus high-sticked Hughes (who didn’t even have the puck) right in the face and drew blood - zero call. I thought that was outrageous and, frankly, doubt that a non-call would have happened if the players had been reversed. What I also noticed was that the refs were getting in the way of the play to an unusual degree. Pucks kept going off them, they kept interfering in zone entries, etc. It was as if the play was too fast for the officials at time and they just couldn’t get out of the damned way. 

Of course, special teams heavily favour the Oilers. So I’m not sure the Canucks should complain too loudly; if the games start to become more tightly called, that would mean more PPs for the Oilers as well.

Two big pieces of good news for the Canucks despite the loss. One is that Pettersson scored and was looking like about 80% normal all night. The other is that Silov bounced back from a mediocre outing and was impeccable.

They can win the series, but what the 3rd period and OT showed is that, when #97 and #29 are on the ice together and double-shifted, it is - unsurprisingly - sheer survival time for the Canucks. The flip side of it is that Vancouver is equal to, or better than, Edmonton in every other dimension. Skinner has not been better than Silov. The Van D is better overall. And Van has stronger depth up front. But, again, they had no answer to McDavid/Dreiseitl last night. Edmonton’s superstars came up trumps.

Why wouldnt they call a penalty from an obvious stick to face, from very quick video review?

Those 2 oilers are pretty good.

image.png

50 minutes ago, DON said:

Why wouldnt they call a penalty from an obvious stick to face, from very quick video review?

Because if there was no penalty called on the play, they can't go to review.  One of the four officials would have had to have seen the initial high stick to get a penalty on the board which could then be reviewed.  Since that didn't happen, it couldn't be reviewed.

The Oiler - Canuck series has been really fun to watch. The refs did miss a couple but that's the way it goes. It's been a very physical series. The Canucks deserved to win game 1 the Oilers deserved to win game 2, looking forward to the next games. 

I am still not convinced Skinner is the guy, the 3rd Canuck goal was horrible. Vancouver has impressed me with their team speed and their discipline, they realize they need to stay out of the penalty box and have kept the number of PP chances to a minimum.  Obviously Tocchet has done a great job. 

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

The reffing was terrible. McJesus high-sticked Hughes (who didn’t even have the puck) right in the face and drew blood - zero call. I thought that was outrageous and, frankly, doubt that a non-call would have happened if the players had been reversed. What I also noticed was that the refs were getting in the way of the play to an unusual degree. Pucks kept going off them, they kept interfering in zone entries, etc. It was as if the play was too fast for the officials at time and they just couldn’t get out of the damned way. 

Of course, special teams heavily favour the Oilers. So I’m not sure the Canucks should complain too loudly; if the games start to become more tightly called, that would mean more PPs for the Oilers as well.

Two big pieces of good news for the Canucks despite the loss. One is that Pettersson scored and was looking like about 80% normal all night. The other is that Silov bounced back from a mediocre outing and was impeccable.

They can win the series, but what the 3rd period and OT showed is that, when #97 and #29 are on the ice together and double-shifted, it is - unsurprisingly - sheer survival time for the Canucks. The flip side of it is that Vancouver is equal to, or better than, Edmonton in every other dimension. Skinner has not been better than Silov. The Van D is better overall. And Van has stronger depth up front. But, again, they had no answer to McDavid/Dreiseitl last night. Edmonton’s superstars came up trumps.

That PP goal for Pettersson will hopefully drive him to score more. He was in good position for that one timer shot a few times last night. 

Nurse had some really hard hits on Pettersson and he has to find a way to avoid some of those. 

I love JT Miller and wish he was a Hab. 

Just now, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

The Oiler - Canuck series has been really fun to watch. The refs did miss a couple but that's the way it goes. It's been a very physical series. The Canucks deserved to win game 1 the Oilers deserved to win game 2, looking forward to the next games. 

I am still not convinced Skinner is the guy, the 3rd Canuck goal was horrible. Vancouver has impressed me with their team speed and their discipline, they realize they need to stay out of the penalty box and have kept the number of PP chances to a minimum.  Obviously Tocchet has done a great job. 

The way Edmonton dances around the Ozone is genuinely impressive. 

As CC noted above, when McDavid and Draisaitl are on the ice, the Canucks are just trying to survive. 

It’s the only reason I don’t want Edmonton to win. The Oilers get the greatest hockey player to ever play the game and Messier for a side kick. 

Now the Oilers draft the most skilled player to ever play the game and have Draisaitl as a side kick. 

Let’s go Vancouver - they haven’t won a damned thing. 

11 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

That PP goal for Pettersson will hopefully drive him to score more. He was in good position for that one timer shot a few times last night. 

Nurse had some really hard hits on Pettersson and he has to find a way to avoid some of those. 

One thing we don't hear much about (and why would we?) is the incredible acumen of Van's management group. 

Cap-strapped because of the innumerable stupidities of Jim "Couldn't Get Around to Signing Toffoli" Benning, they had to choose whether to prioritize Miller or Horvat's contract. They chose Miller, then traded Horvat rather than overpay based on an outlier contract season. Fan howled. They made the right decision. 

Saddled with goombah Boudreau as coach and not permitted to immediately fire him, they rode it out for a while and then brought in Tocchet. Fans were unimpressed. Tocchet has been a BRILLIANT hire. He has done a masterful job of reconstituting the team's entire identity.

Recognizing team D as a weakness, they completely remoulded the blueline and now have a strong 6-man unit with considerable size and sufficient mobility.

Seeing that they had an unexpected contender, they went out and added Zadorov and Lindstrom. Both have been critical to this run; Zadorov has been an absolute monster.

Rutherford won Cups with two separate organizations - quite a rare thing for a GM - and Alvin is his protege. They've put on a master class in organizational transformation.

(Whether it can be sustained is another matter; the Canucks have a busload of impending UFAs. However, if I were a fan, I'd be reassured knowing that key decisions are in the hands of this management group).

34 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Totally agree, tons of ability, great work ethic and compete level. He is a gamer and a leader. Maybe the most underrated player in the game. The kind of guy every coach wants on their team, can't say enough good things about him.