Engstrom signed

Habs sign Adam Engstrom – HabsWorld.net

Montreal Canadiens sign Adam Engström to three-year entry level contract (habseyesontheprize.com)

Engstrom signs, another Left-Hander in the fold.

(lIke Guhle & Harris, he does have experience at Right-d.)

22pts in 51 SHL games and 4pts in 15 SHL playoffs games.

image.png

It's good. And I think another indication that one or two of our LD prospects will be moved this summer.

There was talk that Engstrom may be lend back to his team in the SHL.

I have not read the details of his contract but if he stays in Sweden that may delay his graduation to the NHL

I doubt the Habs move any prospect any time soon; they do not need to rush a trade unless the return is really good 

1 minute ago, alfredoh2009 said:

There was talk that Engstrom may be lend back to his team in the SHL.

I have not read the details of his contract but if he stays in Sweden that may delay his graduation to the NHL

I doubt the Habs move any prospect any time soon; they do not need to rush a trade unless the return is really good 

I have also read such talk, but it was a "if he doesn't stick with the Habs" option, not a pre-planned decision.

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

And I think another indication that one or two of our LD prospects will be moved this summer.

That wouldn't surprise me at all. Hughes is going to try and upgrade the forward position by putting some sort of package together. Including a LD prospect seems like the obvious thing to do. 

I would think he is Laval bound, to start the season anyways.

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

I have also read such talk, but it was a "if he doesn't stick with the Habs" option, not a pre-planned decision.

Thats pretty normal.... that he'd play SHL instead of AHL for one year. 

10 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Matheson, Guhle, Harris, and Xhekaj on the left.  Savard and Kovacevic on the right.  All NHL ready.  Hughes made a point of saying he doesn't want to block the transition to the NHL for the other defensemen.  There's no guarantee Savard gets traded in the off-season or Hutson/Reinbacher will be on the NHL roster next season, fairly unlikely in reality.  Neither Reinbacher or Hutson will be a 7th defenseman because AHL play time is better than sitting in a press box. 

There's definitely a move or 2 to be made to get Struble and Barron some more NHL ice-time.  Realistically for Hutson or Reinbacher it's a year or 2 away, but Barron is definitely a player that's in that weird spot where AHL ice-time probably won't really benefit him much anymore so he would need more NHL ice-time and Struble showed flashes of that as well.  Sure injuries help with NHL ice-time, but you can't depend on injuries to get young players ice-time.

45 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

Matheson, Guhle, Harris, and Xhekaj on the left.  Savard and Kovacevic on the right.  All NHL ready.  Hughes made a point of saying he doesn't want to block the transition to the NHL for the other defensemen.  There's no guarantee Savard gets traded in the off-season or Hutson/Reinbacher will be on the NHL roster next season, fairly unlikely in reality.  Neither Reinbacher or Hutson will be a 7th defenseman because AHL play time is better than sitting in a press box. 

There's definitely a move or 2 to be made to get Struble and Barron some more NHL ice-time.  Realistically for Hutson or Reinbacher it's a year or 2 away, but Barron is definitely a player that's in that weird spot where AHL ice-time probably won't really benefit him much anymore so he would need more NHL ice-time and Struble showed flashes of that as well.  Sure injuries help with NHL ice-time, but you can't depend on injuries to get young players ice-time.

Barron is getting moved I feel for sure as he is now waiver eligible? I actually think two of Barron, Harris, Kovacevic  and Struble will be moved this off season to make room for Hutson, who has immediately supplanted them all and is in top 6.

31 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Barron is getting moved I feel for sure as he is now waiver eligible? I actually think two of Barron, Harris, Kovacevic  and Struble will be moved this off season to make room for Hutson, who has immediately supplanted them all and is in top 6.

Montreal’s Key Summer Defensive Decision – HabsWorld.net

"That means it’s decision time for management.  Is Barron someone that they see as part of Montreal’s longer-term plans?  (Or at least for a couple of years.)  If yes, then hold onto him and move someone else.  Pretty simple."

1 hour ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

I've been known to be wrong, but I think the preference would be to move a deep LD pool over a thin RD pool. 

I would pump the brakes on expecting Hutson in the NHL next year.  It'll be his first season out of university, so no professional hockey experience.  I also know some will point to Caufield did it with nearly no AHL tenure, but forward, especially wing, is the easiest to transition to.  Guhle also did it with no real AHL tenure as well, but he came from the WHL, which is regarded as a higher level of competition than the NCAA.  Defensemen take longer to season, especially if they've never played professionally.  It's why I said earlier Hutson and Reinbacher will take at a year or 2 to be NHL regulars.

Engstrom/Guhle/Harris are 'able' to play RH-d if need be (not preferred of course), if do trade Barron, Kovacevic or Savard.

Hutson isnt a normal d-prospect and I dont think his 2 points & 22:43/game in 2 NHL games is a "Poehling-like" start to NHL career. 

More like an Adam Fox, who jumped from NCAA to NHL with 42point rookie season, is my guess.

But until the pre-season, there is no need to give a regular spot on the NHL roster to Hutson.

Let him show us and awe us a bit more before giving him a spot. What happened to “earning your minutes”? 

5 hours ago, DON said:

Engstrom/Guhle/Harris are 'able' to play RH-d if need be (not preferred of course), if do trade Barron, Kovacevic or Savard.

Hutson isnt a normal d-prospect and I dont think his 2 points & 22:43/game in 2 NHL games is a "Poehling-like" start to NHL career. 

More like an Adam Fox, who jumped from NCAA to NHL with 42point rookie season, is my guess.

Fox played an extra year of college.  3 vs 2 for Hutson.