Zednik Ideas

One trade rumor making the rounds these days involves the Detroit Red Wings and Montreal Canadiens.

The Wings, who are deep in natural centers but short on scoring wingers, would deal veteran Czech center Robert Lang to the Habs for Slovakian wing Richard Zednik.

Montreal could use Lang as the second-line center alongside Alex Kovalev, since the two were great together in Pittsburgh several years ago.

Detroit would also save a little in the salary department, which would help them combat the salary-cap crunch.

Thoughts?

(Link: http://www.forecaster.ca/demo/hockey/news.cgi?dailyslate

I'd prefer Arnott, cos Lang's salary is hooj. That's right, hooj

I think there are better hardworking players out there tthat would suit this team better.

Lang is known for having a bad work ethic, is soft, and is very streaky. Not sure what his salary is, but I would imagine its in the $4 Million range. Thats a little much, but if you can subtract Zednik's salary, its a little more palpable

He does bring some size, but much like Bonk, doesn't use it at all.

But he definitley would be an upgrade over Ribeiro.

While Lang isn't the most physical in the league he puts up very nice numbers and is much bigger than Ribeiro. While he isn't physical he doesn't get pushed around either. He's listed at 3.8 M on the nhlpa website. He's 6'2" 220 and he's right handed.

He's a guy capable of putting up points and we need that. It's about a 2M cap hit. Although his acquisition almost certainly means the end for Ribeiro so really it's a 1M cap hit.

I've always been a big fan and I wouldn't be disapointed to get him, but there are other players I'd prefer. As long as that's not the end of the changes I'd welcome him and waive goodbye to Rbs and Zed

do we really want a 36 years old player ??

lang would've been a great fit in montreal a few years ago but I think we should make a better offer and try to land datsyuk

Edited by marky_and_komi

I don't see the Habs having a designated 1st line. Carbonneau likes a balanced attack. If he wanted to stack one line Kovalev and Koivu would have been paired together. It is much harder to match lines with the skill spread throughout the team. Having Lang, Koivu, Arnott, and Begin as the teams centres would be very solid.

Id rather have Datsyuk over Lang too, but Lang is still a good player. Just a bigger salary then what id give him for his age and work ethic.

:hlogo:

Guys, I think lots of you are seeing it the wrong way.

you look at a given player and only think about the flaws, and in the end, you say "no, Lang is not a heart and soul player. koivu is already #1. we don't need a number 1"

That, IMO is the worst thinking you can have.

You have to be more straightforward:

What are our needs right now?

Would that move improve my team?

I'll start with the Bonk example. Most of you strictly look at Bonk. You look at him and his contract. You say he's not worth 2.3M. You say you expect more for him and he fails...

However YOU fail to understand that. a) Bonk was acquired for a Goalie who played only 20 games a year with the habs. c) Bonk was acquired to have a BIG center (so it's tiresome for the opponents to move him around, even if he's not physical, opponents cannot be as physical vs him) d) Bonk was acquired to be a checking Center and he's terrific in that job.

SOOOOOOooooo Regarding Lang for Zednik

a) Zed is totally useless considering that Perez, Higgins, Plekanec, Kost, Latendresse, Ryder, etc all have more hustle and desire.

c) We COULD use an improve at 2nd line center (even if it's a 1st line center, we'll just have 1a 1b)

d) Lang is an improvement at 2nd line center

e) Lang for Zednik would improve us.

f) what's the problem?

oh... and the I'd rather yadayada only work in dreams. OF COURSE Datsyuk, Richards, Lecavalier, etc is better, but he's freakishly more expensive to get. Who told you that he could be had easily? :P

We need to stay away from guys like Datsyuk. Sure, he's flashy, and scores highlight reel goals from time to time, but that guy is never there when it counts, and has no consistency. He might be an upgrade over Ribeiro offensively, but many of the things we hate about Ribeiro can also be said about Datsyuk. Besides, the guy already had a huge head last summer when he demanded superstar money even though he had only played 2 decent seasons.

I'm not sure I would trade for an Robert Lang, but I'd definitely take him before Datsyuk, especially considering he's had success playing with Kovalev in the past. Either way, we can do much better... otherwise we'll be better investing our money elsewhere.

I'd probably rather have Arnott. Depending on what his salary would be.

Somewhere I remember reading that David Legwand (Nashville) was an un-restricted free agent. He's never lived up to his 2nd overall draft status, but is a kid with talent (only 25). He's a big kid 6-2 200lbs and potentially one of the fastest skaters in the NHL, with good offensive talent.

Unfortunatley he has suffered some injuries, but he could be a steal if infact he is an UFA, and Nashville decides to pass on him.

I don't see the article you're talking about but I would take Lang over Zednik in a heartbeat.

I think Lang > Zed is basically consensus. The big question is whether Lang > other plausible option.

I dont know. If we think we have a 1st or 2nd line centre ready in 1-2 yrs, then lang might make the best sense.

Ok Well me and some friend of mine thing that zednik will be bought out or traded on draft day.

What do you guys think will happen with zednik, stay, leave,bought out, and traded? for what or where?

I think Lang > Zed is basically consensus. The big question is whether Lang > other plausible option.

I dont know. If we think we have a 1st or 2nd line centre ready in 1-2 yrs, then lang might make the best sense.

Yeah, Lang is OK as a short-term fix...but two years later, Zeds is still playing (and probably doing much better than he did this season), Lang is washed up, and you've got no assets in hand. The only thing that would stop me from doing the deal is Lang's advanced age.

I thought buying players out was a one time thing only. Unless you mean they'll just release him, I'm sure they could find some kind of return for him though.

Not sure how it works in the NHL, but in other sports there is a "cap hit" that happens if a team buys a player out.

Not sure how it works in the NHL, but in other sports there is a "cap hit" that happens if a team buys a player out.

Last year ONLY, teams were allowed to but out a player without a cap hit to the team. After that period, any contract buyout will count against the team's cap.

Last year ONLY, teams were allowed to but out a player without a cap hit to the team. After that period, any contract buyout will count against the team's cap.

Yeah, but does the player's full contract count against the cap then? I know in the NFL it is the player's signing bonus that determines the cap hit.

Yeah, but does the player's full contract count against the cap then? I know in the NFL it is the player's signing bonus that determines the cap hit.

I'm not quite sure what the cap hit is when a contract is bought out in the NHL. There hasn't really been any signing bonuses in this league, as they were mainly designed to circumvent the caps in the other pro leagues. I know last year, they were given a percentage off the yearly average of the contract, as well as the contract not effecting the cap.

Id rather just keep Zednik. Give him another year, cuz this year I think was just an off-year. Same with Bonk, theres no point in buying out a perfectly good player and have a third or whatever of his salary count against the cap.

:hlogo: