Is Gainey Done?

johnnyhasbeen

Well it looks as though bob has completed his d-core. I believe we have improved signifigantly with the acquisition of Niinimaa and Traverse as a call up if needed, we now have depth.

I wonder, however, if Gainey is done or does he surprise us again with Abi and a top prospect going for a center.

This could all be good!!

I hope so as I am on record as seeing Pleks as a number 3 center. I do suspect he will get some time to either show he can do the number 2 job, or that he can't.

On the other hand, if we are talking with NJ, time is running out for them and they might be making a deal this week.

In my opinion he is not done. Look at the general themes of the moves he has already made. The team is bigger, faster and younger. I expect to see something like a Souray and Perez for another upgrade to the D.

I think he's done for now unless he gets an offer he can't turn down.

I said in an another thread that after traverse, I thought there would a trade within the next few weeks. geez I never thought it would be so fast.

I think a deal will be done for Abie, but it won't be soon unless Gainey gets an offer he can't refuse. I think everyone wants to wait and see on Huet. We all hope for the best, but with goalies you never know.

Good center or a top 4 D if Niiminan doesn't work out.

I think we'll be picking up one of New Jerseys players (hopefully Gomez) if Lou cant get under the cap... hes got 2 days left.

:hlogo:

Is Gainey done?

Hmmmm...... I don't know... maybe another half an hour ought to do it. :P:P:P

:king: :hlogo: :king:

If he gets Gomez I will be so happy. Gomez is a real top two center. It would allow Pleks to go back to number 3 (where I think he is awesome) and Bonk to go on waivers. :)

Imagine Koivu, Gomez, Pleks, Begin... that is sweet.

I'm not as anxious to see Bonk go as I was at times last season. He seems to be much improved....I'd like to see where he's at after 10 games. He might end up in the 2nd center role if Pleks falters.

If he gets Gomez I will be so happy. Gomez is a real top two center. It would allow Pleks to go back to number 3 (where I think he is awesome) and Bonk to go on waivers. :)

cap-wise you have to imagine that pleks gets the greatest portion on this year, then if necessary a change is made. I doubt if you see Bonk go on waivers, but if he isnt working out (or chipchura forces his way onto the club) perhaps he could be shipped elsewhere for a mid-round draft pick.

The eventual redistribution of goalies will also make a significant difference.

Im not sure about this.

I was more surtain that the team was complete before the Ribeiro trade, now things looks different.

If a trade is comming it should be a blockbuster move.

With Niinimaa on the team the Habs could use one of of the defenceman, not Markov, Boullion and Komisarek, as a thorw in.

Perezhogin and Kostitsyn. Top prospect, same style and same position. Both looking good. Andrei Kostitsyn has his younger brother within the organisation and Alex Perezhogin being the one that is more ready for the NHL. So my guess is that Perezhogin would be easiest to deal and at the same time the one that would get more in return.

Carey Price and Yann Danis comming up. Trade Aebisher when he's value is the peak. Don't know if that's right now but Aebisher has the intention of being a number one in this leauge.

So combine any and it could be enough to add a second line or even first line center. Big trades don't happen to often but as I see it the Canadiens has what it takes to pull it of with Radek Bonk and his contract ending after this season, and Plekanec will do the same job once he's gone.

Scott Gomez? To small.

Patrick Marleau? I wouldn't mind... But would San Jose?

Daniel Briere? Buffalo wouldn't as we're in the same division.

Brendan Morrison? Underrated, but I don't know.

There is no chance that he is done.

We still have a 2.2 million dollar backup that says he wants to be a starter. And Danis almost ready to make the jump.

Also, when Bouillon gets back, we're gonna have a log jam at defence.

Something has to give

he was the hole in a donut line !!

way overrated !!

I don't know. I saw some of him when he played in Sweden and I think he was really good. Last year all Vancouver had a rough year and no one really shined.

I alos think he would do better on a second line. But Perezhogin, Rivet and Aebisher would be too much, I realize that.

I agree Gomez would be good but the cap hit is already close with the trade yesterday. Plus NJ is not going to give him away so what assets are Montreal going to give up?

I have a hard time understanding Gainey's moves. He signs Ribeiro to a contract he didn't deserve. I thought we could get a whole lot more for Ribs if we had signed him for a million like he earned last year. He didn't deserve a raise. At that salary I think we could have gotten a better player considering some teams think Ribs had great upside and for that salary I think some teams would be willing to gamble. Therefore we could have gotten a much better defenceman.

Another thing I don't understand is we take Ninimaa who is probably a cap problem for Dallas since he makes 2.5 million and is a seventh defenceman. All we need another overpriced mediocre player like Radek Bonk.

I have a hard time understanding Gainey's moves. He signs Ribeiro to a contract he didn't deserve. I thought we could get a whole lot more for Ribs if we had signed him for a million like he earned last year. He didn't deserve a raise. At that salary I think we could have gotten a better player considering some teams think Ribs had great upside and for that salary I think some teams would be willing to gamble. Therefore we could have gotten a much better defenceman.

Another thing I don't understand is we take Ninimaa who is probably a cap problem for Dallas since he makes 2.5 million and is a seventh defenceman. All we need another overpriced mediocre player like Radek Bonk.

I thought the same thing yesterday until the board members here pointed out this is Ninimaa's last year of his contract. The extra $600k? is only for one year so it is not all that bad. I have to agree with the Ribero raise, that one opened my eyes as much as the Theo trade for Abby last year. I guess the new Salary cap is going to make us see strange and maybe good things in the future.

I would say Gainey is done untill the Deadline. Plekanec looks like he can take over he job. As he did very well yesterday assisting on an Alex Kovalev goal and Sergei Samsonov goal.

The line finaly woke up and looks good. Maybe something will happen, but not anytime soon i think.

I like how the team is now; also Kostitysn can get a roaster spot. But well see where that goes with Gainey

you mean all of them for morrisson !!????

I alos think he would do better on a second line. But Perezhogin, Rivet and Aebisher would be too much, I realize that.

you mean all of them for morrisson !!????

thes best I would give is a 3rd round pick

besides, we already have three diminutive C-men

I think Gainey is done. Of course we can't count out a trade that will improve the team.

If Plekanec gets the second line center job, then the team is almost sure to be set. The 3rd and 4th line shouldn't have a problem finding a center. Johnson, Bégin, Bonk and Murray can all play center.

I thought the same thing yesterday until the board members here pointed out this is Ninimaa's last year of his contract. The extra $600k? is only for one year so it is not all that bad. I have to agree with the Ribero raise, that one opened my eyes as much as the Theo trade for Abby last year. I guess the new Salary cap is going to make us see strange and maybe good things in the future.

Why do we need even one year for a 7th Dman at 2.5 million. This is not saying much for the likes of Streit and Cote. First Traverse, now this, was Gainey trying to deflect the criticism of the Traverse pick-up with this move? A costly deflection of 2.5 million. It is still a mystery to me why Ribeiro's salary was almost doubled this year after the year he had last year. This certainly did not help our cap. As i stated in my previous post, obviously fewer GM's were willing to risk gambling on Ribeiro with that salary. That is why we got one salary dump for another. Even though I have my doubts Ribs will ever amount to much, there is always the chance with good linemates.

Why do we need even one year for a 7th Dman at 2.5 million. This is not saying much for the likes of Streit and Cote. First Traverse, now this, was Gainey trying to deflect the criticism of the Traverse pick-up with this move? A costly deflection of 2.5 million. It is still a mystery to me why Ribeiro's salary was almost doubled this year after the year he had last year. This certainly did not help our cap. As i stated in my previous post, obviously fewer GM's were willing to risk gambling on Ribeiro with that salary. That is why we got one salary dump for another. Even though I have my doubts Ribs will ever amount to much, there is always the chance with good linemates.

i don't think Niinimaa is a 7th D-man and I dont think BG thinks he is a 7th d-man either.

I really doubt Gainey makes moves to deflect criticism.

Ribs salary was increased to avoid arbitration.

Obviously Carbo and BG didnt feel Ribs was going to compliment Samsonov and Kovalev... more and more during the presesaon this belief proved prescient.

i don't think Niinimaa is a 7th D-man and I dont think BG thinks he is a 7th d-man either.

I really doubt Gainey makes moves to deflect criticism.

Ribs salary was increased to avoid arbitration.

Obviously Carbo and BG didnt feel Ribs was going to compliment Samsonov and Kovalev... more and more during the presesaon this belief proved prescient.

you really think with Ribs numbers last year Gainey was worried with arbitration? Well Ninimaa's 31 years old and didnt make the Dallas top 6 which includes the likes of Robidas who habs traded away for a sack of potatoes a while back

Edited by Strummerman

I think that most people forget that Janne played all last year with an ankle injury. He had that fixed in the offseason. Bob says that he thought he was alot better now that its fixed. Id say back up to top 4 form and with 2 goals in 4 preseason games Im willing to give him that shot.

:hlogo: