So Long Souray?

alexstream

Bye Sheldon, it was fun while it lasted.

27 pts in 30 games = Jackpot as a UFA

-> L.A. or such offering 6.5M per year ...

and he's not worth that... :rolleyes:

-----------------------

I'm in no way talking about reading him, I'm just opening your eyes that after July 1st, he's gone, unless he accepts the 4.5M offer B.G. will make him... otherwise, he's L.A. (or other random southern team) bound, at 6.5M or more a year AS A UFA.

No trade talk in here...

Edited by alexstream

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Gainey should pay someone to get a megaphone at the next GMs meeting and announce, "PLEASE NOTE THAT SHELDON SOURAY INJURED HIS WRIST IN EARLY DECEMBER." That should knock about 2 mil off his ufa price so the Habs can keep him. No need to point out that it was his non-bionic wrist.

It is still a long season and reports are the cap will increase, I expect him to recieve 4.5-5 mil and stay in Montreal even if other places are offering a bit more. He will take a home town discount for a team that stood by him during the rough times, Souray wants to win the cup that you can be sure of. His very good friend and partner Martin Brodeur stayed in New Jersey for less than market value why would he not do the same.

It is still a long season and reports are the cap will increase, I expect him to recieve 4.5-5 mil and stay in Montreal even if other places are offering a bit more. He will take a home town discount for a team that stood by him during the rough times, Souray wants to win the cup that you can be sure of. His very good friend and partner Martin Brodeur stayed in New Jersey for less than market value why would he not do the same.

But Souray's daughter is in Cali... a long way from Montreal.

But Souray's daughter is in Cali... a long way from Montreal.

I understand that but if he really wanted to spend obtuse amounts of time with his Daughter would he not have spent mroe time with her during the summer months? He spent most of the summer in Montreal without his daughter, she was in Montreal for a few weeks but most of the time he was alone.

Im quite sure that even if Souray cant wait to be UFA and sign with a team closer to him daughter he would still say he never wants to leave the team since thats what's going to keep the media from starting to bash him. I am afraid that no money in the world can keep a player from moving close to his daughter/son and if there is one person who will understand it it is Gainey, especially after what just happened.

I think Souray will sign a deal with one of LA, Anaheim or San Jose...

Sourey stays here! Why, character guy who cares about the environment he plays in. He likes the team, he has good friends here, and he likes the management. Getting closer to Cali won't really change anything in terms of his daughter. He will still be on the road a lot, and his wife will still have primary custody rights. And he was quoted as saying that throwing her on the plane has been working out .... also, I'm sure the Habs management has worked out a nice arrangement to accomodate sourey's need to see his daughter.

Expect all three of our big D back next year!

I expect that he will be gone also... not that I hope he will be but due to financial concerns.

If such is the case, I hope he will be traded for someone of value (some good young prospect or two).

GO :hlogo: GO!

Even IF he's going to leave, unless a meltdown happens, I think we need to keep him. I think I might just be hopelessly optimistic, but I beleive we have a real chance this year: grade A goaltending, under rated defense, speedy forwards, killer special teams.

I don't like comparing teams, but honestly is there much that seperates us from Buffalo? We've proven we can skate with them. I wish we'd get to play the Ducks more to see how we matched up with them.

With the way Souray is playing right now there is no reason to believe that if he tests the UFA market next summer a GM won't offer him somwhere north of $6 Million a year. Provided he stays healthy (which is hard for him) and continues to score at this torrid pace( eventually teams will start keying on him on the powerplay, much the same as they did last year with Bryan McCabe in Toronto). Montreal will not and should not pay the kinda money to Sheldon Souray. I truly believe he's not worth more than $4 million a year. Maybe $4.5 tops.

If Gainey cannot get a long term contract signed between now and the trade deadline then he should definitley consider dealing him. And preferably before he either gets hurt or his stock drops. It would be better to get something for him now be it a 2nd line centre, or good prospects or high draft picks than to lose him for nothing next summer. If he is dealt, there would be plenty of b*tching on here about how we lost such a valuable player before the playoffs. But that wouldn't be near as bad as the bitching if he walked away as a freee agent next summer.

I really don't see any point in trading him. People keep assuming that the decision is between risking getting nothing for him in the summer and getting some huge windfall if he's dealt at the deadline; that's just not the case. Somebody else said it here, the Leafs couldn't get a box of Kleenex for McCabe at the deadline last year, and the only team that would wisely be ready to give something decent for Souray would be a team that is having a hot season and has an exceptional chance of doing better in the playoffs than usual and just needs that extra something to put them over the top...like...say...the Montreal Canadiens. So I think if the Habs can't resign Souray before the deadline, they should trade him to Montreal. If Montreal's smart, they'll give a good young prospect and a draft pick for Souray.

So I think if the Habs can't resign Souray before the deadline, they should trade him to Montreal. If Montreal's smart, they'll give a good young prospect and a draft pick for Souray.

the habs should trade souray to montreal? I think this is some sort of joke, but it doesn't make much sense.

the habs should trade souray to montreal? I think this is some sort of joke, but it doesn't make much sense.

Yes it does if you read his entire post. The Habs have a shot this year unless they have a serious meltdown. the shot may not be a very good one but surley they have one. Trading Souray sends the wrong message t the team, and the only teams looking for his services will be teams looking for the cup (the habs are one of those teams) so why trade him.