NHL UFA/Trades thread - July 1st

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

confirmed from the horses mouth :o

The Sharks upgraded their right-side D and with all due respect to Rivet, he is best suited as your 3rd pairing d-man on the right side and should not be a first unit PP guy like the Sharks used him for. Looks like the Habs will be seeing him alot this upcoming year.

i knew Rivet couldnt handle the West... he had like 5 serious different injuries at the end of his first full season with the Sharks??

Damn SJ Blake and Boyle!

No wonder 4 mil Rivet is outta there

Well he'll play with his pal Koivu more often then!

The Sharks upgraded their right-side D and with all due respect to Rivet, he is best suited as your 3rd pairing d-man on the right side and should not be a first unit PP guy like the Sharks used him for. Looks like the Habs will be outskating him a lot this upcoming year.

Fixed that for ya! ;)

Rivet will likely get first unit PP time in Buffalo as well. Boy that team has fallen from grace.

Fixed that for ya! ;)

Rivet will likely get first unit PP time in Buffalo as well. Boy that team has fallen from grace.

lol. well-stated. Betcha wish he was a part of the Habs now.

Shame about Rivet, always liked the guy. Goes from an up-and-coming world class organization (Montreal) to a contender on the balmy west coast (San Jose) to the retread of the NHL which is in the process of spiralling downward (Buffalo). On the other hand, it'll be nice to see more of him again.

Cooke went to the Pens

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=242603&amp...=headlines_main

Neiwendyk is considering joining the Leafs in Managment

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=242601&amp...=headlines_mainundefined

15 players who elected to take their teams to salary arbitration

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=242593&amp...s=secStory_mainundefined

the wild signed Nolan @ 2.75 million for 2 years. more stupid money the guy is 36 and looks every minute of it he is on the downside of his career getting 32 pts in 77 games last year. Not much doubt about why the flames did not re-sign him.

The Wild are going to struggle this year.

If the roster stays the same then I would have to agree completely. However, with the addition of Nolan, they now have too many wingers under contract. Maybe Nolan was necessary for a trade in the works. If they do move someone it will likely be Gaborik or PMB. Afterall, they are the only two of significant value that can be moved for real roster help.

Big Bert to the flames with a 1 year deal.

I dont know if I clap or cry. Should be an upgrade over Nolan and at 1.95 Mil and a 1 year contract should be nice. Im just hopping he doesnt bring more than 1 suitcase because who really needs all the baggage he brings?

the wild signed Nolan @ 2.75 million for 2 years. more stupid money the guy is 36 and looks every minute of it he is on the downside of his career getting 32 pts in 77 games last year. Not much doubt about why the flames did not re-sign him.

the Flames almost resigned him. He may have only got 32 Points last season but he brought leadership and toughness to the team. There are intangables the guy can still bring to the table, but at 2.75 Im glad the flames didnt fork it out

Recchi to Tampa.

Lol. Tampa really think that they can build up a winning team with spare parts. it really shows how lame their prospect pool is.

I don't understand Tampa. Doesn't it make more sense to have a good cap bubble? Right now, the Habs do. It staggers me that we are signed with the space we have. Next year will be a doozy though. Yikes.

We're starting to get to that point in the game when NHL signings just seem to be "fodder" to fill out rosters. Sundin and Demitra and trade rumours out of everywhere is all that's really left.

"fodder" to fill out rosters

Speaking of that.. any news concerning Smolinski? Anyone interested in him?

"fodder" to fill out rosters

Speaking of that.. any news concerning Smolinski? Anyone interested in him?

I'm still holding to my original prediction: Unable to sign a real center or even bring back Michael Peca, the Jackets will settle on Smolinski to appease UFA happy fans.

I found a great quote from a Jackets blogger: "Howson has displayed that when it's all said and done, teams compliment their lineups through trades and free agency—but build long lasting winners through the draft. To do that, they must keep the pipeline fully stocked."

What a moron! So far he's replaced almost a third of the roster, and he wanted to more! Replacing 6-7 players on a team is complimenting it? Hahahaha. And way to build through the draft, by trading three players whom you drafted and will only get better. Brilliant.

Well, looks like your team will keep Peca at least!

The Blue Jackets have agreed to terms with unrestricted free agent centre Michael Peca, The Dispatch has learned.

Best guess here is it's a two-year deal. It could be announced as soon as Tuesday. Apparently, there are some minor details to hammer out before it's completed.

http://blog.dispatch.com/cbj/

Recchi to Tampa.

Lol. Tampa really think that they can build up a winning team with spare parts. it really shows how lame their prospect pool is.

TB doesnt need a deep prosepct pool when teams are will to pay them generous amounts to have a dip in their pool. The Stars gave TB several players for Richards who are now probably TB best prospects. Juicy is going to be good, and Turco's backup was almost looking like he would take his job so TB might have solved their goal tending woes. Either way they are most likely headed back into the playoffs with the players they have picked up since the trade deadline.

I agree that it does seem wierd what TB is doing, but they are getting away with it. There doesnt seem to be a lack of teams willing to take on players with huge money contracts which last for years. TB seems to be getting pretty good return when they do get rid of such players.

The Stars gave TB several players for Richards who are now probably TB best prospects. Juicy is going to be good, and Turco's backup was almost looking like he would take his job so TB might have solved their goal tending woes.

I think most people would disagree with you there. Jokinen is a average player who happens to be good at shootouts. You could play a monkey with Vinny and Marty and he could put up points. Smith's numbers in Dallas were OK, but he was close to terrible with Tampa. Sure, the team didn't help, but he didn't impress anyone. A number of reports had them shopping him at the draft and around July 1st. That doesn't exactly imply confidence. Halpern is a pure depth player. Frankly, I thought it was a lousy trade for Tampa.

Bertuzzi with Calgary, XD

Not one person I know is the least bit happy. This opens up a whole season of hilarity.

I disagree. I'm happy he didn't land in MTL!