NHL UFA/Trades thread - July 1st

Apparently the NYR/Columbus trade is not finalised, more players could be involved.

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best reaction on the Dispatch website from an anonymous poster: "Unbelievable. Maybe we can trade for Tom Tupa and then punt whenever we get the puck."

I "knew" Zherdev was gonna get traded, but for this? Tyutin might develop into a good puck mover, but has been more of a defensive guy so far. But Christian Backman? Everyone knows he's a bust! He's never topped 18 points or 66 games played! The man has had two shoulder surgeries, multiple injuries to his left foot/ankle, among various other injuries. To top it all off, the Jackets are still staring at Kris Russell to be the PP QB, and he's TERRIBLE!

Wow, talk about a high-risk deal. Presumably Hainsey's departure forced their hand? Can't say I like Howson's past two moves at all. Brule's upside is still worth more to me than an oft injured grinder like Raffi Torres, and yeesh Zherdev looks to me like the Rangers' replacement for Jagr. He could light it up alongside Gomez, the guy's got so much skill. Tyutin is a solid top four guy and young, but Backman's hardly worth anything, a 5/6 guy at best. Not to mention the dolts gave up Fritsche too. Terrible, terrible move.

Best reaction on the Dispatch website from an anonymous poster: "Unbelievable. Maybe we can trade for Tom Tupa and then punt whenever we get the puck."

I "knew" Zherdev was gonna get traded, but for this? Tyutin might develop into a good puck mover, but has been more of a defensive guy so far. But Christian Backman? Everyone knows he's a bust! He's never topped 18 points or 66 games played! The man has had two shoulder surgeries, multiple injuries to his left foot/ankle, among various other injuries. To top it all off, the Jackets are still staring at Kris Russell to be the PP QB, and he's TERRIBLE!

Russell is also only 21 years old.

Hell, if you don't want to develop him then send him to Colorado. I saw him enough times with The Hat and Team Canada to convince me has a future. WHL Player of the year, WHL Defenceman of the year even CHL Defenceman of the year combined with two good showings at the Juniors?

Yeah, I'll take him.

Isles signed Doug Weight.

He's pretty much washed up. At least they didn't bring back Yashin!

He wanted to play with Guerin apparently.

Russell is also only 21 years old.

Hell, if you don't want to develop him then send him to Colorado. I saw him enough times with The Hat and Team Canada to convince me has a future. WHL Player of the year, WHL Defenceman of the year even CHL Defenceman of the year combined with two good showings at the Juniors?

Yeah, I'll take him.

You didn't have to watch him play 67 times. He's worthless as an NHLer at this point in time. I'm fine with developing him, but not at the NHL level. He had no business making the jump straight from juniors to the NHL. He should have been in the AHL all season playing big minutes, not stinking up the ice for 15 minutes a game in the NHL. He's a perfect example of Hitchcock playing favorites. Same reason why Glencross was given so many more chances than Brule and Fritsche. Thankfully Howson traded Glencross to put an end to that, but we've now seen both Fritsche and Brule traded. Hmm, I wonder who had an influence on those moves? :wacko:

Well, the Rangers are sitting pretty now. They've got a replacement for Jagr as a top-six winger (if necessary) in Zherdev, and they've got 14.5M in cap space to play with. Sure, they lose a good defender in Tyutin, but Redden is better.

Nah, I've probably seen him play more then 67 times.

Given though, not NHL games. Guy's a wizard with the puck though.

In juniors I have no doubt he was good, winning those awards you mentioned. At the NHL level, he showed absolutely nothing. He was given top PP unit time early in the season and did absolutely nothing, despite being with Nash and Zherdev. He wasn't ready for the NHL and still isn't. Hopefully the team will go with Clay Wilson and Ole Tollefsen as the 6 and 7 defenders, so Russell can develop his game with Syracuse.

Yuck, its like some teams like Leafs and Jackets are screwing up their team on purpose.

Also, the Hawks are now 2 mil over the cap, I wonder what they're gonna do to solve that?

He needs lots of ice time to produce too. If he goes into a slump and his minutes get cut, you've basically lost him for the rest of the season since he gets all pouty about it.

Thats an insane contract too, my dads gonna laugh when I tell him House is getting almost 5 mil.

Wow, Jackets just got a pretty good signing, actually. Huselius for 4 years, 4.75 million.

As I mentioned, Huselius is just an older, less skilled version of Zherdev. They ran Zherdev out of town, and then sign a player with a similar history of not getting along with staff.

As I mentioned, Huselius is just an older, less skilled version of Zherdev. They ran Zherdev out of town, and then sign a player with a similar history of not getting along with staff.

As to your sig? Always liked McLean - quality guy and underrated team builder. The Jackets are spiraling badly. Shame too, they were always one of my more favoured teams. Every time they've shot themselves in the foot over the last while, though, I've thought about you... trying not to giggle. Seriously, it's like watching the Leafs of the 80's!

CBJ is fooked wow what are they thinking.

Oh well another year near the bottom I wonder when Nash will have enough.

I think they can pretty much forget about re-signing him when his contract is up.

Actually, I think I'm going to send a resume detailing my experience and try for the soon to be opening up GM job in Columbus. I would suggest many armchair GM's here might try the same. We couldn't do any worse.