All things HALAK

shortcat1

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Chris Higgins injured his shoulder in Tuesday's win over the Washington Capitals. It is not known yet how serious the injury is. The team plans to play rookie goaltender Jaroslav Halak against the Predators on Wednesday". - TSN

From TSN's ICE CHIPS.............Guess they don't read what they write............ :rolleyes:

I think that if he falters, then Danis should be given the next shot. I mean what does this guy have to do? He does super well in Hamilton, plays super well in the NHL, then we keep Abie in the NHL and leave Danis in the AHL forever. No wonder he had problems with consitency.

However, I think Halak is awesome ... and he would have to goof up more than one game to be sent back down.

Won't we have to do something with our current tenders in the near future? Price is on his way, we have 3-4 who can play at the NHL level right now....maybe not every night, but can play NHL hockey.

Having all this talent can be a curse, since they all need icetime to stay focused/sharp. It's not like forwards/Dmen who can get a regular shift every night.

I agree, people have been getting on Halak saying he was too deep in his net...come on. Semin threaded the needle and if he did not people would have said how great Halak was in staring him down. And his confidence is filtering through the dressing room based on him refusing to give in to Semin.

It was a perfect shot, Roy used to say if he makes that shot, you give it to him and shake your head and say great shot.

I think we will know more about this Kid after the Nashville game.

His confidence is awesome too, and it's not too much that's he's over full of it, like Theodore... But he had a quote in some article saying something to the effect of "Semin made a great shot. I didn't make a mistake" so that's pretty good confidence...

It's stuff like Gainey saying that he's looking to acquire a backup goaltender that confuses the hell out of me. Unless I'm mistaken, Aebischer is supposed to be able to take over and play. Halak's playing well right now, and Yann Danis was decent last year.

Well actually if Souray would have checked him it would not have been an issue.

You know what - Semin beat him with a great burst of speed to the outside. Give credit where credit is due....

Souray makes mistakes, but this one was simply a matter of sheer talent & speed! He probably beats 9 of 10 guys with that move in a powerplay situation.

As for Halak, he is adjusting to the pace and the next level of the NHL. Shots are faster, harder and more accurate(see Semin's goal) and the pace is a lot faster. He also said he was nervous about playing his first game at home - has to be a bit unnerving. Especially with fans now being a bit unrealistic in their expectations for him, and some of the ridiculous comparisons being tossed about. He didn't get rattled after the first two goals - both were deflections so not weak as some suggest. And a late in the period goal didn't seem to phase him either. Neither team was a major test when you look at their place in the standings, but the fact he stood his ground is a big boost for his confidence. He played well, but has a bit of work on a few aspects of his game. Personally I wouldn't run him out there against Nashville for just that reason, but then fortunately I'm not the coach.

That's going to be a real test for both him and the team - should be interesting?

I am very happy with this choice he should start until he loses. Nashville will surley be a test. Halak said afer the Caps game that it is hard for goalies himself included to only face 18 shots a game I doubt he will have that problem against the Preds. :).

But as mentioned earlier he has only let in one bad goal in two games the other 4 were deflections or great shots and his puck control is unreal.

Edited by JMMR

I am very happy with this choice he should start until he loses. Nashville will surley be a test. Halak said afer the Caps game that it is hard for goalies himself included to only face 18 shots a game I doubt he will have that problem against the Preds. :).

But as mentioned earlier he has only let in one bad goal in two games the other 4 were deflections or great shots and his puck control is unreal.

Personally I don't believe he has let in any bad goals. The 2 against Columbus were point blank in the slot that he had little chance on, and last night 2 were deflected and 1 was a laser beam to the top shelf.

He has shown great puck handling ability (helping the Keystone Cops on the backline), great poise and I have yet to see him flop around like a fish like Abby. He has made all the stops he has needed to. But with all the injuries he will need to do more than that.

The start against Nashville will show us if he has the ability to hang with the big boys and lead us on the unrealistic run that we expect.

Good start for sure, I am just not 100% sold yet.

Edited by Wamsley01

I'm happy that the kid was able to get his feet wet in the last 2 games. Re: Semin goal; watch it again. Had it not have been a perfect shot, Halak was still in position to stop it shoulder high :clap:

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

Look for there to be less shots on goal when Halak plays. As mentioned earlier, Halak will really help the transition game by clearing and making those beautiful passes. Dump and chase is not an option with this guy. So this gives Halak an edge even before he has to make a save.

Also now that dump and chase will be difficult, forwards will be forced to carry the puck. That's Ok if they go in against Dandy or Rivet, but Komasaurus and Cube should definitely get some more big hits now. That's what I expect to see anyway.

I've been working for every game he has played. I catch the last period after work, and watch Canadiens express, but this isn't enough. What I'm seeing is a good goaltender, who needs to adjust to the NHL. The shots aren't going to be as predictable as the AHL. He is a good positional goalie who handles the puck like Brodeur, although from what I saw last night, I wonder if Carbo didn't tell him to be more careful with the outlet pass.

What do you think of him? Can he handle it up here? What are his weaknesses? Opinions?

I think he is what this team needs, good positioning, solid goalie. He isn't a game stealer yet but that is the best for this team, they play better when they know their goalie can't bail them out every time. He will be a great backup next year and I think we will be seeing abby moving on for sure now.

I think he is what this team needs, good positioning, solid goalie. He isn't a game stealer yet but that is the best for this team, they play better when they know their goalie can't bail them out every time. He will be a great backup next year and I think we will be seeing abby moving on for sure now.

If Carbo has told him to stop handling the puck it would be disappointing because our Defense needs it.

As far as judging his ability he has given up 10 goals in 9 periods with a an .878 Save percentage. Not exctly what we were hoping for in our saviour. But he has 3 wins :clap: .

He also has not really given up any bad goals, but has not made any miraculous saves either.

I don't think he has played enough to say he has been good or bad.

His stats BAD, His wins GOOD.

The jury is still out.

If Carbo has told him to stop handling the puck it would be disappointing because our Defense needs it.

As far as judging his ability he has given up 10 goals in 9 periods with a an .878 Save percentage. Not exctly what we were hoping for in our saviour. But he has 3 wins :clap: .

He also has not really given up any bad goals, but has not made any miraculous saves either.

I don't think he has played enough to say he has been good or bad.

His stats BAD, His wins GOOD.

The jury is still out.

Honestly 5 of the 10 goals that have gone in on him have been deflected so its more like a 71/76 which is a 0.934 save %

I think those kind of bad bounces will stop soon.

Honestly 5 of the 10 goals that have gone in on him have been deflected so its more like a 71/76 which is a 0.934 save %

I think those kind of bad bounces will stop soon.

I hope so! I am still waiting for a miraculous save though. Would make me feel better.

I still have not been able to form a proper opinion though.

His puck handling ability alone makes me want to go with him for the rest of they year though.

I'd give him a 7.5 or 8 out of 10. He's been unlucky on many goals. Not so spectacular, always in a good position. Great legs, didn't see glove save yet...

A good backup for huet on next year... Abby will move for sure.

He has been as solid as a raw rookie can be expected to be. He's got the tools to be an NHL starter, at least in the three games he's played so far. He's also had the benefit of the team playing better in front of him and playing their way out of the funk that had dragged the team down over the last few weeks. But maybe that the best effect of all. The guys know he's a rookie and have felt the need to work a little harder on offence in support. If that's true, I'm just worried that if they rack up a five- or six-game winning streak, they'll let up a little and fall back into bad habits of the past.

Shows a lot of promise, has probably just put abby out of a job. Seems like a real cool customer, but will need to learn to play out at the top oc his crease better. He also will have to figure out how to slash his defenceman across the ankles so they get the hell out of his crease and let him see the puck ;) We are in the position of having a veritible riches in goalies. Time to move abby for something good. He did his job while he was here but we do not need a 2mill 3rd stringer.