All things HALAK

shortcat1

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the sake of chewing on the possibilities...

...when (if) Huet returns, in time for the p-offs (and we make it), and he is (hopefully) in fairly good shape, wouldn't it mean that Halak was doing something right and keeping us in the running? Why fix what ain't broke? I don't think every rookie falls apart come the post-season. IMHO, save Huet, let the guy heal real good. It would make a real strong duo next season...

I wouldn't depend on Huet carrying all the 'weight'... Heck, if he re-injured himself, just because we snuck into the playoffs, it could shred any long-term netminding plans... A cup this year is not all that matters... so why risk it?

Early next season I'd hate to have to be looking at 'if' Price is ready, or 'if' Halak had developed enough to handle the pressure or 'if' Huet is healthy long term or ready for the task?

...last... I wouldn't pick Abby over any great fresh effort...Go Halak Go... GO :hlogo: GO

J

...I think Abby got the flu in December... and still has it...

Ha Lak Halak a lot

Ha don't Habs faith in Habs-ischer, Ha don't Lak him at all.

I can just picture Borat saying all that.

To me, it's clear that we have to go with Halak now. Until he falters.

Halak was named third star after recording three straight victories with a 1.33 GAA and .957 save percentage.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=201642&hubname=nhl

Ragz goalie Henrik Lundqvist was the NHL's 1st star while SJ's Jonathan Cheechoo was #2.

Congrats to our rising star! :hlogo:

Price - Halak sounds like a great goalie tandem for years to come.

How about trading Huet for that no.1 center we need during the summer? :D

2 or 3 years from now, that might make some sense, but not now. Price still needs another full year in the AHL. Never underestimate what years of experience contributes to a team. Huet has that, we'll keep him till the end of next year, thats when his contract expires. its anyones guess what will happen then.

That 2nd line center (which I actually think should be a 1st line center, no offense to koivu, but he would play better on the 2nd line) will probably come from the cap-room we get from Abisher and Samsonov.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=201642&hubname=nhl

Ragz goalie Henrik Lundqvist was the NHL's 1st star while SJ's Jonathan Cheechoo was #2.

Congrats to our rising star! :hlogo:

and well deserved also...

GO :hlogo: GO!

Well, Halak had the better on Lundqvist tonight. Very nice

hockeysfuture.com has lundqvist as a 9.0B player... in other words, they're putting him in the same category as brodeur... not bad...

halak is a 7.0C... a jeff hackett goalie at the best...

we'll see in the long run...

GO :hlogo: GO!

• 7 months later...

it's a shame really. I though he would have made a good backup for Carey Price.

Seriously though. I don't think he has a valid argument to be traded. I know he was undefeated in Montreal last year. He was also a disaster on the road. Even the games he did win, he wasn't that fantastic. I remember a lot of weak goals.

Also, he hasn't been very good in Hamilton this season. He hasn't done anything this year to warrant an NHL job. Even Danis had a better camp then Halak.

Let him get traded. Danis would be a fine backup to Price in the future.

It's frustrating, but that's the NHL nowadays. Players have a lot of options, and this will only get worse as more money gets invested in teams overseas.

There is an excellent analysis of this on the main site page. Really, it hinges on Bob's plans for Huet. What I find irritating is that Halak couldn't wait just a few months before deciding to force matters. Huet has had major injuries in each of the last two seasons; if he goes 3 for 3, Halak is back and Huet is most likely gone as a UFA. If Price struggles at some point, Halak is also back. If Gainey deals Huet, he's back too. There's enough scenarios whereby he returns to the NHL that a mature player, it seems to me, would concentrate on his game and biding his time. Save the dramatics for next summer.