All things HALAK

shortcat1

Well this is probably Huet's last year. It's a no brainer that he obviously does not fit into the Habs long term plans since theyre so deep in young goaltending. Huet would have to hugely outclass Price & Halak to justify paying him the 4-5 mill he will get as a UFA, as opposed to the rookie salaries those two get. It will be a balancing act by Gainey on when and how to unload him though, do we hold onto him this year for a playoff run (as we did with Souray last year)? Do we trade him during the season (ATM, goaltending market not very hot, especially for a UFA)? Or do we resign him and trade him next year? Or keep him around another year for super goalie depth again? Or at some point do we decide we're better off with a scoring forward that 4 million can get us than Huet the goalie? Tough call, but in Bob we trust.

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You often don't realize you hurt yourself until after the game, even the next day. He might have felt a twinge and figured he could keep going (although he sure didn't look right in the shootout), and then realized after he cooled down that it was stiffening up (insert stiff groin joke here).

In any case, I think Huet has been pretty good this year and I view it as bad news. I hope Halek has a great game.

That's what she said! :D

I view this as bad news too, but you never know how a team will respond with a different goalie in net. Sometimes... sometimes it is a catalyst for positive change.

Clearly not unless he was hurt on the Radulov shot.

And it might have been Ortymyer somteime in the middle of the third.

I went to the highlights on NHL.com, and I think it may have happened on a break by Fiddler in the first period. When he went back to make a save, it looked like his skate make have caught on the outside of the post. Immediately after that, he froze the puck on the outside of the net, then doubled over once the play was whistled dead. The highlight clip doesn't show it, but I think RDS had a close-up which showed him wincing a couple of times.

According to TSN's ice chips:

Carey Price practised and says he will start tomorrow against Detroit. Reports of his flu were greatly exagerated. Price says he had a cold but is feeling better after yesterday's day off. He figures he'll be fine by tomorrow... Cristobal Huet says he strained his groin during the first period during a breakaway. Pressed to be more specific as there were numerous Nashville breakaways that period, he said, ''The one where the guy backhanded it over the net.''... Huet's injury is day-to-day, but seemingly not serious as Price says he doesn't think he'll need to play a long stretch of games in relief... Halak practised with the team and will be Price's backup until Huet returns. - TSN

http://tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?fid=10460&hubname=

Forgive me for being happy.

I feel kind of like you do. and I feel foolish for it. Huet's important to the team, but I'm really really hoping Price / Halak prove they can be the goaltenders of the future (and more importantly present) right now and make things good.

Untill this team can get a more consistant effort from all 4 lines, it isn't going to matter who's in goal. They have got to find a way to get some of the guys who are underacheiving going.

Untill this team can get a more consistant effort from all 4 lines, it isn't going to matter who's in goal. They have got to find a way to get some of the guys who are underacheiving going.

I know you're right, but I'm hoping for some spark somehow from this. Maybe a short term rally that will lift them out of their slump and get people excited and get the underachievers going and contributing again? Not blaming Huet for the way things have gone, but is it possible they get demoralized knowing he's gonna let in a bad goal or two almost every game? Mind you, if I were him, I'd get demoralized playing behind them, so it goes both ways...

I know people have high hopes for Price, but it makes me sad that after all Huet has done (including having better stats then Price so far), some people can't wait to run him out of town. I swear some people here hope Huet loses just so Price can get the next game. :(

I would much rather have Huet as our number 1 with Price playing about a third of the games then go with Price all the way this year. Price will get his turn, but he is still learning.

In any case, the goaltending has not been a problem this year, but the crappy 5 on 5 play and defensive has been. Price or Huet is not going to be the difference for this team this year.

Yeah this could very well be the end for huet if price and halak play well. I remember telling my buddy that huet looked like he pulled something after one of the breakaway saves. This should be an interesting ( :wacko: ) stretch coming up.

You never know, sometimes a key injury can cause a team to snap out of a funk. The Habs just might rally with the kid in net; everyone involved knows that it would be colossally wrong to let him get barraged the way Huet was.

As for Huet, I agree that it's a shame everyone is so anxious to see him gone. In fact, I'm in the minority that thinks the ideal scenario is to keep him around as a mentor to Price for the next season or two. I suppose it's vain to hope that his history of injuries will keep his UFA value low and allow us to sign him for a reasonable price.

You never know, sometimes a key injury can cause a team to snap out of a funk. The Habs just might rally with the kid in net; everyone involved knows that it would be colossally wrong to let him get barraged the way Huet was.

As for Huet, I agree that it's a shame everyone is so anxious to see him gone. In fact, I'm in the minority that thinks the ideal scenario is to keep him around as a mentor to Price for the next season or two. I suppose it's vain to hope that his history of injuries will keep his UFA value low and allow us to sign him for a reasonable price?

As for his trade value - supposedly damaged by this injury - the Bryzylov (sp?) thing showed me that for some unfathomable reason goalies have zero trade value anyway. This is no skin of our nose, really, as long as Price/Halak do the job in the short run.

I think it depends on the goalie Vokun and Toskala landed some excellent return.

I think their contract status plays a large part as well. Vokoun and Toskala both had time left on their contracts (3 years and 1 year, respectively). A notable exception would be Luongo, who had no time remaining on his contract when VAN traded for him.

I think their contract status plays a large part as well. Vokoun and Toskala both had time left on their contracts (3 years and 1 year, respectively). A notable exception would be Luongo, who had no time remaining on his contract when VAN traded for him.

Luongo was restricted though. He had one year left before he went UFA. Florida offered him a long term deal that he turned down.

That is why they dealt him. So he fits in the same category as Vokoun and Toskala.

All those trades you mention were made in the off-season, too, when teams are planning their cap management for the next year (and years afterwards). A goalie has more value then. Now, you have to figure out how to change your cap management/budget for this year to accomadate a new multi-million dollar goalie, plus the remaining seasons (when you don't know what the cap figure will be).

Around the draft is really the only opportunity teams have to make significant trades anymore, other than the rental market of the trade deadline.

Luongo was restricted though. He had one year left before he went UFA. Florida offered him a long term deal that he turned down.

That is why they dealt him. So he fits in the same category as Vokoun and Toskala.

Ok, all I knew was that he wasn't under contract at that point when they traded him.

• 2 weeks later...

The Habs have sent Jaroslav Halak down to the AHL affiliate Hamilton Bulldogs to make room for the return of Cristobal Huet.

Halak who was sensational for the Habs late in the season last year played backup to Carey Price in this call up. The only action that he saw was in New Jersey when he got called in to relieve Carey Price at the start of the third period.

Cristobal Huet is back from his minor groin pull and played backup to Carey Price in Saturday's 4-1 win over the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Edited by Habsfan84