Jump to content
Fanpuck33

Permanent Rumour Thread

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, Metallica said:

You forgetting Alzner especially if he is a buy out this year.

 

Alzner is a sunk cost.  It is what it is. 

Also your solution of trading petry and signing Gardiner, spends you more money... not less... given that you aren't getting Gardiner as a UFA for cheaper than the $5.5 million that Petry is on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Metallica said:

Do you blow the cap space on Karlsson alone? You don't know what he is wanting. If he wants Doughty type money that's 11mil a season. I would trade Petry to free up cap space. So that way we can bring in Karlsson and someone else if we wanted to. If we can hopefully get Karlsson for around 9mil then I would be ok with keeping Petry. That Alzner contract is really back firing on us now isn't it.

 

I'd bring in Karlsson and have Petry at 5.5 and be fine with it. 

 

And I don't think Karlsson is getting 11.  I think he's getting like 9.5.  His injuries cost him some money this past year.  But even at 11 I'm still fine with it. 

I keep my top 3 defence... move one to the left side. 

If I need to clear space, I'm selling high on Andrew Shaw... you can get some savings there. 
 

If you sign Karlsson, Benn is allowed to walk so you won't have him on the books. 

Habs have 11.7 million in space right now, with 23 players signed for next season... so we'd have room to bring in Karlsson even at 11 with just a little move like trading Shaw and replacing him with a Suzuki or Poehling.   Send Alzner to the minors, that also clears up some room. Send Dale Weise to the minors and that clears room. And the only notable RFAs to sign are Armia and Lehkonen.

 

By the time next year comes around, and you need to make space again, you'll have another cap rise, you'll have Steve Mason's buyout off the books.  You can trade Alzner a lot easier than you can right now, Dale Weise and Matthew Peca come off the books.  You've likely got some other moves you can make too. 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Commandant said:

 

I'd bring in Karlsson and have Petry at 5.5 and be fine with it. 

 

And I don't think Karlsson is getting 11.  I think he's getting like 9.5.  His injuries cost him some money this past year.  But even at 11 I'm still fine with it. 

I keep my top 3 defence... move one to the left side. 

If I need to clear space, I'm selling high on Andrew Shaw... you can get some savings there. 
 

If you sign Karlsson, Benn is allowed to walk so you won't have him on the books. 

Habs have 11.7 million in space right now, with 23 players signed for next season... so we'd have room to bring in Karlsson even at 11 with just a little move like trading Shaw and replacing him with a Suzuki or Poehling.   Send Alzner to the minors, that also clears up some room. Send Dale Weise to the minors and that clears room. And the only notable RFAs to sign are Armia and Lehkonen.

 

By the time next year comes around, and you need to make space again, you'll have another cap rise, you'll have Steve Mason's buyout off the books.  You can trade Alzner a lot easier than you can right now, Dale Weise and Matthew Peca come off the books.  You've likely got some other moves you can make too. 

 

Amen, brother. I understand that there are risks with UFA signings, but even with injuries Karlsson has put up points galore. Imagine if he gets healthy? What an exciting, game-changing player he could be for us. If he seriously does want to play close to Ottawa, then this is a swing-for-the-fences opportunity and we should take it. Don't worry about plugs like Benn or other lower-rung guys on the cap - you can always ship out assets like that. Too much caution gets you nowhere; as Stephen Harper once told Jack Layton, "you know, Jack, sometimes you've got to take a risk."

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I honestly think Karlsson will be wearing a Habs jersey, come October. The Atlantic has so much star power, if the Habs have any shot at playoff contention, they need some game breakers. 

 

If the rumors are true and Karlsson's wife wants to be close to home, then I would almost guarantee he will take a "home town" discount. 9.5 is a very likely number. 

 

Give us a guy, Bergy. This team needs a legit game changer, on the back end. 

Edited by Habber31
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They key is to offer endorsements galore to swing the deal I  your favour...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Commandant said:

 

I'd bring in Karlsson and have Petry at 5.5 and be fine with it. 

 

And I don't think Karlsson is getting 11.  I think he's getting like 9.5.  His injuries cost him some money this past year.  But even at 11 I'm still fine with it. 

I keep my top 3 defence... move one to the left side. 

If I need to clear space, I'm selling high on Andrew Shaw... you can get some savings there. 
 

If you sign Karlsson, Benn is allowed to walk so you won't have him on the books. 

Habs have 11.7 million in space right now, with 23 players signed for next season... so we'd have room to bring in Karlsson even at 11 with just a little move like trading Shaw and replacing him with a Suzuki or Poehling.   Send Alzner to the minors, that also clears up some room. Send Dale Weise to the minors and that clears room. And the only notable RFAs to sign are Armia and Lehkonen.

 

By the time next year comes around, and you need to make space again, you'll have another cap rise, you'll have Steve Mason's buyout off the books.  You can trade Alzner a lot easier than you can right now, Dale Weise and Matthew Peca come off the books.  You've likely got some other moves you can make too. 

Shaw had a career year, buts he's a guy I'd like to see get moved. 

 

I read a bit about buying Alzner out. That stuff is a bit over my head, but it sounded like this year was the best option for cap savings. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Habber31 said:

I read a bit about buying Alzner out. That stuff is a bit over my head, but it sounded like this year was the best option for cap savings. 

 

https://www.capfriendly.com/buyout-calculator/karl-alzner#results

 

Not sure if that link works, but the cap hits for an Alzner buyout this summer are:

 

19-20 - $1 069 444

20-21 - $4 194 444

21-22 - $2 194 444

22-23 - $1 069 444

23-24 - $1 069 444

24-25 - $1 069 444

 

Wait til next year and the cap hits are:

 

20-21 - $3 958 333

21-22 - $1 958 333

22-23 - $833 333

23-24 - $833 333

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Based on that ... unless we are desperate for cap space this year (or we can get someone to take Alzner's contract), it would make the most sense to do it next year. It would save $200K of cap room from 20-21 to 23-24, and let us off the hook altogether in 24-24. 20-21 would still be a big hit but we'd be down to $833K in 21-22 when we are sure to be tight on cap space.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

 

21 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

 

https://www.capfriendly.com/buyout-calculator/karl-alzner#results

 

Not sure if that link works, but the cap hits for an Alzner buyout this summer are:

 

19-20 - $1 069 444

20-21 - $4 194 444

21-22 - $2 194 444

22-23 - $1 069 444

23-24 - $1 069 444

24-25 - $1 069 444

 

Wait til next year and the cap hits are:

 

20-21 - $3 958 333

21-22 - $1 958 333

22-23 - $833 333

23-24 - $833 333

Thanks 

Edited by Habber31

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, Friedman brought up Montréal as a potential destination for Matt Duchene...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m all for bringing in Karlsson and trying to figure it out afterwards but You have to get Domi done this or next year and he will be commanding between 6-8 mill.

 

The Habs will have some cap work to do.

 

What if Duchene and Karlsson both want to sign with Montreal, how do you make that work? Or do you say no to Duchene?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Scott462 said:

I’m all for bringing in Karlsson and trying to figure it out afterwards but You have to get Domi done this or next year and he will be commanding between 6-8 mill.

 

The Habs will have some cap work to do.

 

What if Duchene and Karlsson both want to sign with Montreal, how do you make that work? Or do you say no to Duchene?

 

 

 

I don't think both can work cap wise... one we can do, but both will be issues going forward with Domi, Gallagher needing raises, then Kotkaniemi, etc...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to keep in mind with the Karlsson talk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Which means he can be had on the cheap... or  cheaper at least!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JoeLassister said:

So, Friedman brought up Montréal as a potential destination for Matt Duchene...

I think Duchene would be a mistake signing. To me, he's more of a 65 point player. That's not worth 8 or 9 million per. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Karlsson is a real option, signing him needs to take priority over any other FA options. We really need D, our forwards are much less of an issue, and we have some solid prospects in the pipeline.

 

OK, I’ll consider Gardiner, too ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For me its Karlsson or nobody... Gardiner will be be supplanted by youth in the coming years. Karlsson is one of if not the top D in the NHL when healthy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Commandant said:

 

I don't think both can work cap wise... one we can do, but both will be issues going forward with Domi, Gallagher needing raises, then Kotkaniemi, etc...

 

Thanks, 

 

Karlsson’s injury problems should be cause for a little concern, he’s also a RD and we don’t know if he would be open to playing his off side should he want to sign. Duchene plays both centre and wing and is good on face-offs.

 

It'll be interesting to see what happens this off season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

For me its Karlsson or nobody... Gardiner will be be supplanted by youth in the coming years. Karlsson is one of if not the top D in the NHL when healthy.

Or simply...used to be the best and now is likely still all-star calibre but trending downwards. Doesnt matter, because he wont be signing in Montreal.:popcorn:
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The way I see it ... our priority is defensive improvement (backup goaltender is far easier and less expensive issue that can be dealt with). The only real possibilities for significant improvement I see are (1) Karlsson, (2) Gardiner and (3) Gostisbehere. I think it's unlikely that we can pry away a top-quality D from anywhere else.

 

So, my hope is that Bergevin is pursuing the three above players, in some order. Sure, if we absolutely can't get any, I'd be happy with Duchene, but that's not where the real need is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Soo, what if we include Shaw in a trade for Ghost AND sign Karlsson?

 

best D in the league?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even if Duchene doesn't happen I still wouldn't be opposed to seeing if trading Drouin, Tatar, or Shaw can bring in a LD with term. There are other free agent forwards available that would fit the Habs nicely.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Duchene wouldn’t hurt, but his production has been somewhat uneven over the years and I don’t see him as a difference maker on the scale of Karlsson. We’re weaker structurally at D than at C (though Duchene could play W of course).As with some others, then, D would be my priority.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I assume Bergevin has a plan at this point, likely with multiple fallback options. Once the Bruins and Blues finish beating up on each other we should be seeing some action.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, tomh009 said:

I assume Bergevin has a plan at this point, likely with multiple fallback options. Once the Bruins and Blues finish beating up on each other we should be seeing some action.

I do believe agents become free at the end of the month, not the end of the Stanley Cup play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×