Jump to content
dlbalr

Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

I guess your  way is always right, lets just keep the Path we're on and do nothing. continue to finish just outside a playoff spot and pick from 15-20.  Then when the young guys are ready to make the NHL, just in time for Price, Weber and petry to retire and we end up with nothing for them.

 

That makes a so much better plan.

 

Because it worked so will with Markov, lets do it again.

 

It's not a question of doing nothing. Panic moves rarely work.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

I guess your  way is always right, lets just keep the Path we're on and do nothing. continue to finish just outside a playoff spot and pick from 15-20.  Then when the young guys are ready to make the NHL, just in time for Price, Weber and petry to retire and we end up with nothing for them.

 

That makes a so much better plan.

 

Because it worked so will with Markov, lets do it again.

 

I haven't even said a way.

 

There are a lot of other options between.... Trade Every player over 25 years old... and Trade no one.   You've made this out to be that there are only two possible options.  Once again, you just create strawmen when people don't agree with you. 

 

All I'm saying is that I've seen other teams do this scorched earth style rebuild and it doesn't work.  You can't have all kids and no one to be a role model and set an example. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

 

It's not a question of doing nothing. Panic moves rarely work.  

Its the same thing with this organization over the last what 20 years. Something needs to change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Commandant said:

 

I haven't even said a way.

 

There are a lot of other options between.... Trade Every player over 25 years old... and Trade no one.   You've made this out to be that there are only two possible options.  Once again, you just create strawmen when people don't agree with you. 

 

All I'm saying is that I've seen other teams do this scorched earth style rebuild and it doesn't work.  You can't have all kids and no one to be a role model and set an example. 

 

 

I agree, the kids need veterans around to help them along.

 

Thats why hanging on to guys like Weber will be helpful if the plan is to rebuild.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This organization has not been run the exact same way for 20 years.  

 

There have been 5 different GMs in that time period... (Houle, Savard, Gainey, Gauthier and Bergevin)... to argue that its been the exact same thing for 20 years, is just wrong. 

 

The results haven't been there, I'll agree. 

 

But that doesn't mean that the methods have been the same.... One look at what they did in the summer of 2009 and what they did in the summer of 2019, shows you that the philosophy hasn't always been the same.   Its just lazy to argue that it has been.   Heck what gainey himself did in 2008 and 2009 are two different things... what Bergevin did pre 2016, and what he's done since then are also two different things. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Scott462 said:

 

I agree, the kids need veterans around to help them along.

 

Thats why hanging on to guys like Weber will be helpful if the plan is to rebuild.

 

Agree, even if you are doing a rebuild you need some veteran leadership to show the way. The Oilers will absolutely abysmal because they didn't have a strong enough veteran presence when they had some talented kids. Ask Andrew Ference about that. He really unloaded on them.   Now their young talented guys have character. 

 

I think MB decided a couple years ago that the only real way to build a winner was through the draft and making the odd trade when appropriate.  I think the Pacioretty trade will pay off in spades. The pass Suzuki made on the 3rd  goal was phenomenal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, illWill said:

To Vancouver: Kotkaniemi

 

To Montreal: Hughes

 

Montreal gets the LHD that they need, Vancouver gets who they should have got when the Habs picked Quinn Hughes at #3

#shouldadraftedquinn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

 

Agree, even if you are doing a rebuild you need some veteran leadership to show the way. The Oilers will absolutely abysmal because they didn't have a strong enough veteran presence when they had some talented kids. Ask Andrew Ference about that. He really unloaded on them.   Now their young talented guys have character. 

 

I think MB decided a couple years ago that the only real way to build a winner was through the draft and making the odd trade when appropriate.  I think the Pacioretty trade will pay off in spades. The pass Suzuki made on the 3rd  goal was phenomenal. 

 

I think Suzuki is going to be a special player and to his credit Kotkaniemi looks to be turning it around and is finding his confidence again which are positive signs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, illWill said:

To Vancouver: Kotkaniemi

 

To Montreal: Hughes

 

Montreal gets the LHD that they need, Vancouver gets who they should have got when the Habs picked Quinn Hughes at #3

I'd be OK with this trade if Vancouver were willing to do it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the Habs decide to go the rebuild route I don't think it's a bad ideal to keep Weber, Price, and maybe even Gallagher around as the leadership group.  If the Habs get an offer they can't refuse for one of them, than they strongly have to consider doing it, but otherwise they keep them.  I'd trade Petry and Tatar while they're at peak value.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, John B said:

If the Habs decide to go the rebuild route I don't think it's a bad ideal to keep Weber, Price, and maybe even Gallagher around as the leadership group.  If the Habs get an offer they can't refuse for one of them, than they strongly have to consider doing it, but otherwise they keep them.  I'd trade Petry and Tatar while they're at peak value.

I think they need to do what’s the rangers did. Keep Gallagher and Petry move the rest.  I’d want to move Petry as well, but you need to have at least one NHL calibre dmen aa a leader from the backend.  If they can pickup another younger dmen who can lead the backend, than you move Petry.


 Price controls his destiny, so give him the same option the rangers gave Lundquist.  A team like Calgary would be an ideal fit, as much as I hate the flames and don’t want them to succeed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, John B said:

I'd be OK with this trade if Vancouver were willing to do it.

No way Vancouver would do that deal.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Price controls his destiny, so give him the same option the rangers gave Lundquist.  A team like Calgary would be an ideal fit, as much as I hate the flames and don’t want them to succeed.

 

Except Calgary is in a dire cap situation.  They're a team that would have to match money (and not just in the short-term) which means Lucic would inevitably be part of the return.  They could use a goalie upgrade but they can't afford someone making half of what Price makes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I think they need to do what’s the rangers did. Keep Gallagher and Petry move the rest.  I’d want to move Petry as well, but you need to have at least one NHL calibre dmen aa a leader from the backend.  If they can pickup another younger dmen who can lead the backend, than you move Petry.


 Price controls his destiny, so give him the same option the rangers gave Lundquist.  A team like Calgary would be an ideal fit, as much as I hate the flames and don’t want them to succeed.

I still rather move Petry than Weber.  Weber is a good leader and captain of this club.  He's also going to be more difficult to move and might yield less value than Petry who's cap hit is a little over $2M less and only has one more year left on it (his contract also contains a 15 team no trade list though).  I don't think Petry has as much trade value if the Habs extend him assuming he gets market value (around $7M) and term (greater than 3 years).

 

 I do agree that the Habs should keep one of the two though and if they end up moving Weber instead of Petry, I'm not going to be overly disappointed (depending on the return of course and assuming that they've resigned Petry).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

 

Except Calgary is in a dire cap situation.  They're a team that would have to match money (and not just in the short-term) which means Lucic would inevitably be part of the return.  They could use a goalie upgrade but they can't afford someone making half of what Price makes.

Talk in the Calgary media has been  moving Monahan , hamornic and even potentially Gaudreau.  Trade hamornic and one of those forwards along with one of their prospects and you have a deal and are pretty close cap wise.  Only concern id have is o think Gaudreau and Monohan have around 2 years 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, John B said:

I still rather move Petry than Weber.  Weber is a good leader and captain of this club.  He's also going to be more difficult to move and might yield less value than Petry who's cap hit is a little over $2M less and only has one more year left on it (his contract also contains a 15 team no trade list though).  I don't think Petry has as much trade value if the Habs extend him assuming he gets market value (around $7M) and term (greater than 3 years).

 

 I do agree that the Habs should keep one of the two though and if they end up moving Weber instead of Petry, I'm not going to be overly disappointed (depending on the return of course and assuming that they've resigned Petry).

You can move Weber anywhere, whereas Petry has either NMC or some limitations if I remember correctly.  Move weber to Edmonton for one of their top d prospects a pick and a bad contract.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not on Team Tank, but I think it's an interesting hypothetical to ask which teams might want Price and what the return might be. I doubt that it would be enough to have a transformational effect and propel the Habs toward future contention.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I'm not on Team Tank, but I think it's an interesting hypothetical to ask which teams might want Price and what the return might be. I doubt that it would be enough to have a transformational effect and propel the Habs toward future contention.

 

If the plan is to trade Price you need young established stars that will be young enough to contend when our current crop of prospects have entered the league and are hitting there stride. Primeau/Suzuki/Koktaniemi/Caufield/Poehling.

 

Which would mean at least 2-3 years before seeing a chance to start contending.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

You can move Weber anywhere, whereas Petry has either NMC or some limitations if I remember correctly.  Move weber to Edmonton for one of their top d prospects a pick and a bad contract.  

Correct, Petry has a NMC and a M-NTC (15 team no trade list).  All it says on capfriendly.com for the clause details is :Starting 2018-19, Lists 15 teams he can not be traded to.  So because he has the NMC as well, I'm not sure how that works. Maybe he can still list 15 teams that he can not be traded to and still say no to the other 15 if he wants?  It's just weird having both.

 

If the Habs can get a top d prospect or good young NHL defenseman and a pick for Weber, I have no problem with that.  I just think some teams might be reluctant to pony up for a 34 year old defenseman with another 6 years @ just over $7.8M.  Which is why I think it could affect his value.  Winnipeg could be another interesting destination for Weber though.  Byfuglien has left the team for personal reasons and contemplating retirement (I thought I read somewhere that he had surgery of some kind as well).  If the Habs could get Heinola from the Jets and maybe a pick it could be interesting as well.  It really depends on what Byfuglien's plan is for his future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Scott462 said:

 

If the plan is to trade Price you need young established stars that will be young enough to contend when our current crop of prospects have entered the league and are hitting there stride. Primeau/Suzuki/Koktaniemi/Caufield/Poehling.

 

Which would mean at least 2-3 years before seeing a chance to start contending.

 

We don't have any 'young established stars.' And I do not believe our crop of prospects will be contending in 2-3 years without Price and Weber still being impact players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

 

We don't have any 'young established stars.' And I do not believe our crop of prospects will be contending in 2-3 years without Price and Weber still being impact players.

 

I’m talking about what you need to get from Price in a trade is a young established or on the rise kind of star. But they have to be young to fit into our next group of core players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Scott462 said:

 

I’m talking about what you need to get from Price in a trade is a young established or on the rise kind of star. But they have to be young to fit into our next group of core players.

 

Thanks, I misread your post. And I agree with this. Whether we could get a Laine type for Price is a whole other question. You'd need a club that is very worried about its goaltending, has an 'established young star' that is nevertheless a disposable part of their core, and which is hungry to win the Cup in the immediate term. 

 

Calgary is just about the only club that leaps to mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Talk in the Calgary media has been  moving Monahan , hamornic and even potentially Gaudreau.  Trade hamornic and one of those forwards along with one of their prospects and you have a deal and are pretty close cap wise.  Only concern id have is o think Gaudreau and Monohan have around 2 years 

 

Hamonic's a pending UFA so he's not really a good option for trading for Price and helping their long-term cap situation.  A Price trade would likely make the most sense for a team that already has a high-priced goalie and wants an upgrade.  Rittich being at $2.75M makes that a trickier sell though I agree, he'd be a viable fit in theory.

 

1 hour ago, John B said:

Correct, Petry has a NMC and a M-NTC (15 team no trade list).  All it says on capfriendly.com for the clause details is :Starting 2018-19, Lists 15 teams he can not be traded to.  So because he has the NMC as well, I'm not sure how that works. Maybe he can still list 15 teams that he can not be traded to and still say no to the other 15 if he wants?  It's just weird having both.

 

His NMC is a no waivers clause.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

 

Hamonic's a pending UFA so he's not really a good option for trading for Price and helping their long-term cap situation.  A Price trade would likely make the most sense for a team that already has a high-priced goalie and wants an upgrade.  Rittich being at $2.75M makes that a trickier sell though I agree, he'd be a viable fit in theory.

 

 

His NMC is a no waivers clause.

Thank you for the clarification on his NMC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...