Big Bird...

nihilz

I'm much more upset then then the cucamber, but I'm limited with how I can show it on my iPhone.

I would have taken Crawford, Hartley or a monkey over Therrien as long as we got the big bird to go along with them.

Only 6 of those? You're not as upset as I thought you'd be...

just read that Yzerman also tried to get the big bird, but the team he gave his blood and guts to for 15 or 16 years didn't want him :cry_smile:

Wow, this is unbelievable. I've heard stories that there's bad blood between the Molson's and Robinson and this story seems to support it. If the Habs hired Therrien because of his "experience with the organization and his ability to develop young players", then how the hell do you not hire Robinson?

What...

The...

######..?

Wow, this is unbelievable. I've heard stories that there's bad blood between the Molson's and Robinson and this story seems to support it. If the Habs hired Therrien because of his "experience with the organization and his ability to develop young players", then how the hell do you not hire Robinson?

What...

The...

######..?

I don't know, every interview i read about Molson, he seemed very complimentary of Robinson. i think there was bad blood with Savard and Robinson in the late 80's before Robinson left. From what I recall reading, Robinson wanted to be captain and also wanted to have his number retired (i didn't buy the number retiring part demand back then, and still don't - he was too much of a team guy. Savard didn't think Robinson was needed.

I thought that was the start of Savard's really bad moves. He lost Green, Ludwig and Robinson around the same time (supposedly had a deal worked out for Scott Stevens, but balked when Stevens was looking for a big pay day). The habs ended up with Chelios, Schneider and a very young defence core, which IMO opinion could have benefited from having the Big bird around for a few more year, just as the Subban could really have benefited from having the big bird around. Anyways, Savard not only dumped Chelios for a washed up Denis Savard, but he also gave away Desjardins along with Leclair (both instrumental to the 93' cup win) for Dr. I hate his friggin guts Recchi.

Therrien wanted Robinson on his staff as much as Price wants a francophone backup.

Therrien wanted Robinson on his staff as much as Price wants a francophone backup.

Robinson has rejected head coaching jobs. He doesn't want one, not much pressure there.

Which is why im even more pissed off at Therrien for not wanting Robinson.

Robinson has rejected head coaching jobs. He doesn't want one, not much pressure there.

Not sure why people whom all have the same facts feel like over fact-ing one another all the time. Is this a discussion board or a do people like dropping the same facts over and over make them feel more Pierre McGuire.

My comparison is Robinson, regardless of his desires. Would make Therrien's job harder during a tough season. Just as say, Mathieu Garon playing a good stretch of games playing behind Price, would have the same effect on both Therien and Price.

But Robinson...

Edited by nihilz

"Big Bird flying across the sky"...Neil Young.. ."helpless"?....couldn't paste the link with Arcade Fire from Youtube.

No editorial content intended. What the hell do I know?

You are all assuming that Robinson really wanted to be on the staff, and really wanted the pressure of coaching in Montreal.

Sometimes what people say in the media and what the do are two different things.

We all know that Robinson stepped down as a head coach because of the media pressure of coaching in New Jersey of all places. While its not a head coach job, the pressure of being an assistant in Montreal is just as bad as the pressure of being a head coach in a place like Jersey.

We are quick to criticize Jagr and other Free Agents for using Montreal as a bargaining chip to get more money in other cities, but there never is a question of that here. We all assume Robinson's intentions are pure, even though he couldn't come up for an interview when requested, because he was too busy screaming and yelling at a mover who screwed something up in his move to Florida.

Commandant, Larry friggin' Robinson - backbone of four straight Cups, heart and soul and de facto co-coach with Bob Gainey of the 86 miracle run, all-time great Hab in every way, universally respected as both man and hockey pro - deserves the benefit of the doubt. Certainly he deserves it a lot more than Mr. Mediocrity Therrien. And he deserves it a lot more than mercenary Jagr.

Big Bird said his property was in chaos in the wake of a hurricane and he could not drop everything to race up to Montreal on the Habs's exact schedule - in effect, asking for a bit of extra time before he could come up to the interview. To my mind, this is not the position of a mercenary; it's the position of someone who is confident that his services will be in demand and can therefore prioritize other life commitments when those are in crisis. And he was right to be confident, because any organization worth a tinker's damn can see the sense in hiring this guy.

The ONLY rationale for not giving Larry the extra days he wanted was that they really liked Daigneault and had reason to think they'd lose him if they waited, without being assured that Robinson would take the job.

As I said before, the real reason is probably that Therrien simply did not want a vastly more respected man and better coach than him behind the bench. Like any mediocrity, he doesn't want greatness around him.

This is a sh*tty move, pure and simple. In order to placate the mediocrity of a coach who will be out on his ass within three years, we've kissed goodbye to any hope of bringing the great Larry Robinson back into the fold, a move that could have yielded benefits to the organization for the remainder of Robinson's career. Absolute, classless, short-sighted garbage.

My sentiments exactly. Larry Robinson doesn't need to string anyone along for leverage to get a job. He could have done wonders for Subban and would have been a great asset with tinordi and belieau waiting in the wings.

Like I said, I'd take a monkey as the head coach over therrien if it meant we brought Larry Robinson back as an assistant.

Commandant, Larry friggin' Robinson - backbone of four straight Cups, heart and soul and de facto co-coach with Bob Gainey of the 86 miracle run, all-time great Hab in every way, universally respected as both man and hockey pro - deserves the benefit of the doubt. Certainly he deserves it a lot more than Mr. Mediocrity Therrien. And he deserves it a lot more than mercenary Jagr.

Big Bird said his property was in chaos in the wake of a hurricane and he could not drop everything to race up to Montreal on the Habs's exact schedule - in effect, asking for a bit of extra time before he could come up to the interview. To my mind, this is not the position of a mercenary; it's the position of someone who is confident that his services will be in demand and can therefore prioritize other life commitments when those are in crisis. And he was right to be confident, because any organization worth a tinker's damn can see the sense in hiring this guy.

The ONLY rationale for not giving Larry the extra days he wanted was that they really liked Daigneault and had reason to think they'd lose him if they waited, without being assured that Robinson would take the job.

As I said before, the real reason is probably that Therrien simply did not want a vastly more respected man and better coach than him behind the bench. Like any mediocrity, he doesn't want greatness around him.

This is a sh*tty move, pure and simple. In order to placate the mediocrity of a coach who will be out on his ass within three years, we've kissed goodbye to any hope of bringing the great Larry Robinson back into the fold, a move that could have yielded benefits to the organization for the remainder of Robinson's career. Absolute, classless, short-sighted garbage.

It's nice to see you've already built up your pre-written reason to complain about every Habs loss: It's all the mediocre coach's fault! ;)

Where you're definitely wrong about your assumption (which is what it is) is mediocre actually prefers to surround itself with greatness and then leech off of their success and proclaim it their own. It is of absolutely zero benefit for Therrien to not select the best possible people for the job and in his eyes he preferred JJ. So if Therrien is such a medicore weasel as you try to portray him every time, it conflicts with your assumptions. If Robinson would have made the Habs better, Therrien would have made him assistant coach, given him tons of duties and then took the credit for when the team got better. But no, you think he's going to pick the lesser candidate and then... what?

I really wanted Big Bird in Montreal too but I also didn't want the team to be forcing the coach to take the staff they like with him. I was worried about that with the Cunnyworth assistant coach announcement but it's good to see that wasn't the case. If you want to be prepared to blame everything on Therrien at every move when a decision doesn't go the way you want it to, feel free but be prepared for your credibility as a viewer of hockey chip away at each and every sentence. And I say that as someone who likes to hear what you have to say but just rolls my eyes anytime the Therrien topic comes up because of your blatant biases.

It's nice to see you've already built up your pre-written reason to complain about every Habs loss: It's all the mediocre coach's fault! ;)

Where you're definitely wrong about your assumption (which is what it is) is mediocre actually prefers to surround itself with greatness and then leech off of their success and proclaim it their own. It is of absolutely zero benefit for Therrien to not select the best possible people for the job and in his eyes he preferred JJ. So if Therrien is such a medicore weasel as you try to portray him every time, it conflicts with your assumptions. If Robinson would have made the Habs better, Therrien would have made him assistant coach, given him tons of duties and then took the credit for when the team got better. But no, you think he's going to pick the lesser candidate and then... what?

I really wanted Big Bird in Montreal too but I also didn't want the team to be forcing the coach to take the staff they like with him. I was worried about that with the Cunnyworth assistant coach announcement but it's good to see that wasn't the case. If you want to be prepared to blame everything on Therrien at every move when a decision doesn't go the way you want it to, feel free but be prepared for your credibility as a viewer of hockey chip away at each and every sentence. And I say that as someone who likes to hear what you have to say but just rolls my eyes anytime the Therrien topic comes up because of your blatant biases.

As for my blaming everything that goes wrong on Therrien, don't be ridiculous. Blame where blame is due. Therrien didn't want Larry Robinson. I blame him for that, because he IS to blame for that. And I call Therrien a mediocrity because that's what his record suggests he is, a mediocrity. Had he hired Larry, I'd have been impressed; his decision not to do so tends to reinforce my suspicion, because it fits the profile.

See, you're wrong about how mediocrity works. Mediocre people generally don't want to work with people who are going to show them up, whose superiority may represent a threat to their (fragile) power or their (vulnerable) self-image. This is part of what makes them mediocre people. I see nothing implausible in the proposition that Therrien preferred not to have assistant with a much higher stature and a far superior resume than he himself possesses. He knew it put him at risk of becoming de facto the junior partner in the relationship and lacked the cojones to embrace that challenge.

Now, I absolutely agree with you that that's not the way things ought to work. Therrien ought to have said, 'gee, I have a chance to work with this guy who won a Cup as a head coach, is one of the greats of all-time, and has an impeccable record as a highly successful assistant coach - I really should do my due diligence and interview him, he may make our team much better and make me a better coach.'

Instead he took the safe, unthreatening road and hired Daigneault, whose subordinate standing is clear-cut from the get-go. Now, JJ has solid credentials and who I have nothing against the guy. But your argument seems to be that Therrien found it obvious that Daigneault was SO superior to Larry Robinson - despite the latter's superb c.v. - that he didn't even need an interview. Unless Daingeault is some kind of secret coaching genius, that's tough to swallow. Now, there's always the possibility that they had to act immediately lest they lose Daingeault, a scenario that I regret but could at least live with; but if, like me, you feel there is good reason to view Therrien as a second-rater, the 'medicority avoiding excellence' scenario unfortunately remains all too plausible.

But don't fret. I have no intention of duplicating the JM-haters, who used to blame him for every conceivable thing that went wrong, even in the teeth of pretty strong statistical evidence that the team was mostly well-coached. I've been saying all along that I expect the Therrien-caused meltdown to happen sometime in Year Two or Three, and that the main thing is to escape his immolation without having sacrificed major talent, or the playoffs, to accommodate him. That we've already lost Robinson is regrettable enough.

But don't fret. I have no intention of duplicating the JM-haters

But you've already begun. You have no idea why the decision was made but have already made a completely fabricated reason to why.

Look yourself in the mirror on this one. Also, your claims of Therrien being mediocre is kind of laughable. I guess we need to stop giving credit to any coach who can take a team of talented kids with little playoff experience to the Stanley Cup finals.

You're more than welcome to fabricate more reasons in your mind why Therrien doesn't deserve credit for his Q success, getting more out of the Canadiens than he should have, taking the Wikes-Barre Penguins to some fantastic records and taking the Penguins to the finals. Doesn't sound like a mediocre coach to me. I guess every coach who has lost a room deserves to be called mediocre?

But you've already begun. You have no idea why the decision was made but have already made a completely fabricated reason to why.

Look yourself in the mirror on this one. Also, your claims of Therrien being mediocre is kind of laughable. I guess we need to stop giving credit to any coach who can take a team of talented kids with little playoff experience to the Stanley Cup finals.

You're more than welcome to fabricate more reasons in your mind why Therrien doesn't deserve credit for his Q success, getting more out of the Canadiens than he should have, taking the Wikes-Barre Penguins to some fantastic records and taking the Penguins to the finals. Doesn't sound like a mediocre coach to me. I guess every coach who has lost a room deserves to be called mediocre?

Nah, just a coach who cost us the Carolina series and got fired with three years left on his contract. ;)

I hope it was left to the head coach to hire the assistants he felt comfortable with. When you see moves like last year, where Pearn was fired by the GM, to the coaches surprise, that is a sign of a disfunctional management team. So, if we want to blame someone for not hiring Robinson, then I hope that was Therriens decision. Also, if Therrien felt Daignault was the man he wanted, then I'm prepared to give the man some slack and see what the year brings.

Kevin Allen ‏@kausatoday

"Larry Robinson said a big reason for going to San Jose was to allow his wife to be closer to the grandkids who live in California. Good man".

Boom

Kevin Allen ‏@kausatoday

"Larry Robinson said a big reason for going to San Jose was to allow his wife to be closer to the grandkids who live in California. Good man".

Aha! Well, while this doesn't mean he wouldn't have come to Montreal, it does suggest that his taking an offer here was far from a slam-dunk. If indeed Daigneault was in high demand - which is perhaps not implausible - then that'd tend to support the 'time sensitive' argument for why the Habs couldn't wait to interview him. And that's the only argument I can stomach. So in a weird way, this is qualified good news...at least in terms of soothing my nerves :B)