Weber Appreciation Thread

C-Love

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

The problem I see, is that we don't attribute being trapped in the zone for long periods of time as "playing poorly" when we really should. If a puck doesn't go in the net, and the defenceman throws a few hits and blocks a few shots, we think its fine. But the lack of puck movement on those shifts and the inability to retrieve a loose puck and get it out of the zone should be a red flag. It's a huge failure of most people when evaluating the game.  Those happened to him against both Buffalo and Ottawa. 

Did you think that Pateryn - Beaulieu pair had a good night last night?  Cause the reality is that they were terrible. 

Actually, terrible in hockey normally does mean giving up or causing goals against. Short of that their play may be poor or need improvement, which is pretty typical of most 3rd pairings, but not 'terrible'.

But we all know you got some goofy stat you want to toss out as proof, so go ahead already lets have it.:popcorn:

5 hours ago, DON said:

Actually, terrible in hockey normally does mean giving up or causing goals against. Short of that their play may be poor or need improvement, which is pretty typical of most 3rd pairings, but not 'terrible'.

But we all know you got some goofy stat you want to toss out as proof, so go ahead already lets have it.:popcorn:

So if a defenceman is playing badly and giving up scoring chances but Carey Price is saving his ass, he is not a terrible defenceman because he's not causing goals against.

But if a defenceman is on the ice, and Vesa Toskala gives up the goal from the opposing end of the ice, he was on the ice for the goal against so that must mean he made a bad play.

And you call my stat goofy?

23 minutes ago, Commandant said:
23 minutes ago, Commandant said:

So if a defenceman is playing badly and giving up scoring chances but Carey Price is saving his ass, he is not a terrible defenceman because he's not causing goals against.

But if a defenceman is on the ice, and Vesa Toskala gives up the goal from the opposing end of the ice, he was on the ice for the goal against so that must mean he made a bad play.

That is a different way to look at it.

Your stat? Which is yours?

"are you showing that those stats are basically meaningless.", I actually asked a question about "your' stats. But, goofy may seemingly be apt in that case.

There are a number of stats I look at.  there is never one stat.  its a wholistic approach to corsi, high danger scoring chances, zone starts, fenwick, etc... etc....

its certainly a lot more than simple goals for and goals against which are very small sample sizes and are greatly influenced by the quality of goaltending. 

29 minutes ago, Commandant said:

There are a number of stats I look at.  there is never one stat.  its a wholistic approach to corsi, high danger scoring chances, zone starts, fenwick, etc... etc....

its certainly a lot more than simple goals for and goals against which are very small sample sizes and are greatly influenced by the quality of goaltending. 

OMG it is becoming a cult.:D

7 hours ago, Jeff Price (no relation) said:

Thursday night against Arizona, Weber was amazing. And yet the advanced stats junkies panned him. The basic reason is that great defensive play results in bad advanced stats numbers. And yet no team has ever succeeded without some great, defense-first minded players. Weber has an advantage of being one of those types of players and still putting up lots of goals and assists.

No.  Great defensive plays result in the defensive player retrieving the puck and getting it out of the zone quickly.

At best, what results in bad advanced stats numbers are average or good defensive plays where the dman does his job but the puck stays in the zone.

Sometimes, you're covering someone else's bad play that led to a scoring chance, but sometimes, you're only covering your own mistake.

With that being said.  I enjoy Weber a lot.  Just like I enjoyed a lot a former showoff player.

• Upvote 1

I'm being honest when I say Weber has so far exceeded my expectations. I only hope he can keep it up but also have no doubts that he will. 

Radulov has also been very good so far early in the season and I love the chemistry the two seem to already have from their days together in Nashville. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

Then why did the coach have nothing but praise for Beaulieu's last game? And which plays were "terrible"? And Pateryn also played terrible? GOTTA ask...did you actually watch the friggin game?

Their inability to clear the puck out of their own end for several long stretches, made for a terrible game by the pairing.... 

Repeatedly allowing the other team to cycle, maintain possession and get shots (and more importantly high danger scoring chances), is bad defensive play. The fact that Price saved their bacon, doesn't mean they didn't get worked by Philly's forwards on more than a few occasions. 

11 hours ago, sbhatt said:

He is producing on the regular for the team...I will be very happy if he maintains this level of play.

If he maintains this level of play he will be nominated for the Hart. Surely a dip in production and effectiveness is to be expected, so keep that in mind 

On ‎2016‎-‎10‎-‎25 at 0:27 PM, Commandant said:
5 minutes ago, illWill said:

If he maintains this level of play he will be nominated for the Hart. Surely a dip in production and effectiveness is to be expected, so keep that in mind 

Why would you say that, he is only on pace for 105pts and to be +140...that's doable isn't it.:gohabsgo:

• Upvote 1

Should I close the Subban trade thread?

Or merge the two? 

What are people feeling? 

( I have not been around much so not even sure I should or am able to make decisions like this) 

8 minutes ago, JMMR said:

Or merge the two? 

What are people feeling? 

( I have not been around much so not even sure I should or am able to make decisions like this) 

I think the sulking thread and the initial trade thread can be merged for sure. The appreciation thread should be separate 

6 hours ago, JMMR said:

Or merge the two? 

What are people feeling? 

Yes please, close down trade thread.

I would merge the sulk and trade thread.  Same theme. Ol Weber got hemmed in quite a bit today. The whole team did, but against this team speed, I reckon the other guy would been good. Gotta skate the puck out sometimes.

11 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

I would merge the sulk and trade thread.  Same theme. Ol Weber got hemmed in quite a bit today. The whole team did, but against this team speed, I reckon the other guy would been good. Gotta skate the puck out sometimes.

I couldn't watch the game, but that WAS one of my concerns - how the reconfigured D would do against fast teams like TB, especially in a playoff series.

With Price in net, though, it may not matter that much! :halm:

I'm a huge PK fan.

But so far the Habs keep winning and PK keeps putting up the minus rating and the Predators are a below .500 hockey team.

None of this may be sustainable however...