Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dlbalr

2017 NHL Offseason Thread

93 posts in this topic

With the playoffs now over, the focus shifts to what should be a very busy few weeks around the league with the Expansion Draft, the Entry Draft, and Free Agency.  This thread will be for discussion of general news league-wide.

 

If there are going to be trades before expansion (and there probably will be), they'll need to be done by this Saturday.  There's a trade/waiver freeze starting at 3 PM EST on Saturday lasting through to 8 AM EST on the 22nd thanks to expansion.  One exception will be any trade agreements with the Golden Knights.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can teams get Knights make a deal to agree not to select a certain young player that wouldn't be protected from a teams roster, for a draft pick or $ and select another from roster instead?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, DON said:

Can teams get Knights make a deal to agree not to select a certain young player that wouldn't be protected from a teams roster, for a draft pick or $ and select another from roster instead?

 

A player has to be selected (or signed) from each team, but GMs can make "incentive" trades to get the Knights to pass over one of their players in favour of another player. 

 

One rumored deal already out there is that Chicago will trade Trevor Van Riemsdyk to the Knights IF the Knights also agree to select Krueger in the draft. (Or vice versa... Krueger is traded there, and Van Riemsdyk is left available to be drafted.)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, I doubt Bergy would offer up a pick to get them to take a bad contract.

Habs don't have anyone vital that really would be missed badly. Losing a Beaulieu, Benn or Hudon/de la Rose just wouldn't be a big loss.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, DON said:

Thanks, I doubt Bergy would offer up a pick to get them to take a bad contract.

Habs don't have anyone vital that really would be missed badly. Losing a Beaulieu, Benn or Hudon/de la Rose just wouldn't be a big loss.

I think need all the assets we can get or keep so I can see Beaulieu being traded or a side deal being made so they don't lose a D-man. If Bergevin protects Plex over Hudon then he really is an idiot and I will be on the fire Bergy bandwagon. Plexs is done offensively and Hudon has potential 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, PMAC said:

I think need all the assets we can get or keep so I can see Beaulieu being traded or a side deal being made so they don't lose a D-man. If Bergevin protects Plex over Hudon then he really is an idiot and I will be on the fire Bergy bandwagon. Plexs is done offensively and Hudon has potential 

Eric Staal was done offensively as well, till he wasn't.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would gladly give DLR or Hudon to the Knights if they agree to take Plekanec's contract.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, DON said:

Thanks, I doubt Bergy would offer up a pick to get them to take a bad contract.

Habs don't have anyone vital that really would be missed badly. Losing a Beaulieu, Benn or Hudon/de la Rose just wouldn't be a big loss.

 

I think losing Beaulieu for nothing would be regrettable...a bit like losing Hainsey on waivers all those years ago. I share the general ambivalence about N8, but we need puck moving defencemen, and he has the potential to be a productive second-tier guy.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

 

I think losing Beaulieu for nothing would be regrettable...a bit like losing Hainsey on waivers all those years ago. I share the general ambivalence about N8, but we need puck moving defencemen, and he has the potential to be a productive second-tier guy.

Well then, just gotta hope Nate the Great is traded in next 3 or 4 days then, but it is Bergevin so of course being as stupid as he is, he will do the wrong thing.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd protect him, for the purposes of trading later. 

 

With all the defencemen available, I don't see Vegas taking a 30 year old bottom pairing guy. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's some people who believe Vegas will take Plekanec because he's a personal favourite of Gallant's. He might see Plek as the right guy to be the first Captain.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

There's some people who believe Vegas will take Plekanec because he's a personal favourite of Gallant's. He might see Plek as the right guy to be the first Captain.

 

I'd sweeten the put to make it happen. 

 

Take Plekanec, here's a 2nd rounder 58th overall. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Commandant said:

 

I'd sweeten the put to make it happen. 

 

Take Plekanec, here's a 2nd rounder 58th overall. 

 

Sweeten the pot only if necessary. Pleks has a lot of respect around the league, and we've seen many times that a player's Rep often takes a while to catch up their actual performance. Whatever else happens, though, we need Pleks's contract off the books. And frankly, I also think we need to excise him in order to remove any temptation by stodgy coaches to fall back upon him as a 'safe' option in the top 6. He is no longer in any way a top-6 FW, but I'm not sure I trust the coaches to 100% accept that. One way to soften the fetish for veterans is to ship out those vets when they become washed up.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The buyout window opens up tomorrow and we already have a couple of players who have been informed they'll be let go - Matt Greene of LA and Dan Girardi of the Rangers.  They'll be paying him for the next six years not to play for them with cap hits ranging from $1.11 million to as high as $3.61 million. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dan Girardi over Anton Stralman is one of the dumbest moves in NHL recent history.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Dan Girardi over Anton Stralman is one of the dumbest moves in NHL recent history.

Forsberg for Erat move by Caps was a head scratcher also.

 

Two days left before roster freeze...will Bergy make a move before then?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Dan Girardi over Anton Stralman is one of the dumbest moves in NHL recent history.

I would hit up Kordic for Courtnall in that top 5 :)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ehjay said:

I would hit up Kordic for Courtnall in that top 5 :)

 

Your definition of "recent" is a bit different from mine ;) It *is* nice to be reminded of a major trade the Habs actually won, however.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

 

Your definition of "recent" is a bit different from mine ;) It *is* nice to be reminded of a major trade the Habs actually won, however.

I blame legalization :D

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mike Smith to the Flames for Brandon Hickey, third rounder and rights to Chad Johnson. Coyotes will retain 25% of his salary. 

 

Not sure he's the answer in Calgary but at least they are attempting to fix it.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The salary cap is officially set at 75 million.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Trizzak said:

The salary cap is officially set at 75 million.

Is that higher/lower than expected? What was last years cap?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DON said:

Is that higher/lower than expected? What was last years cap?

 

Last year was 73 million.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, DON said:

Is that higher/lower than expected? What was last years cap?

 

Its what was expected. 

 

Its a small increase (2 million) from last year. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So was said Habs now have $17m left for 27-47 & 79.

$4.5 for Markov, $6 Galchenyuk would leave $6.5 for Radulov. Seems darn tight, without off-loading Plekanec or Emelin's salary.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0