April 22 Game #4 Montreal at Ottawa

DON

(from NHL.com)

CANADIENS at SENATORS

TV: CBC, USA, TVA Sports

Montreal leads best-of-7 series 3-0

The Montreal Canadiens have an opportunity Wednesday to begin the Stanley Cup Playoffs with a series sweep in consecutive years for the first time since 1987.

Montreal leads its Eastern Conference First Round series against the Ottawa Senators 3-0 and can become the first team to advance in the 2015 playoffs with a win in Game 4 at Canadian Tire Centre.

Canadiens goalie Carey Price would like to see Montreal get off to its best start of the series Wednesday. Ottawa has scored the first goal, and led 1-0 after the first period in each of the first three games.

"We're just going to take the same approach we've taken every game," Price said after practice in Saint-Jovite, Quebec on Tuesday. "It's all about trying to get off to a good start in this next game, make a push in the first period and go from there."

The Canadiens swept the Tampa Bay Lightning in the first round in 2014, and went on to defeat the Boston Bruins in seven games in the second round before losing the Eastern Conference Final to the New York Rangers in six.

The Canadiens, though, are not looking past a proud Senators team that went 21-3-3 through the end of the regular season to qualify for the playoffs.

"We have put the first three games behind us. Yes, we're happy about the results, but we're also aware that the more we move forward, the tougher it is to win and the intensity goes up a notch every game," Montreal coach Michel Therrien said. "The games were tight, it was war in the trenches every game, but (Wednesday) is going to be the same thing."

Canadiens defenseman Nathan Beaulieu will miss the rest of the series because of an upper-body injury. Rookie defenseman Greg Pateryn will make his playoff debut Wednesday.

Ottawa coach Dave Cameron will insert center Zack Smith into the lineup in place of veteran David Legwand.

"The biggest thing is (Smith)'s going to give us a little more speed," Cameron said. "That's the big thing that went into it."

Cameron has yet to reveal who will start Game 4 in goal. Craig Anderson made 47 saves in the Senators' 2-1 overtime loss Sunday after Andrew Hammond allowed seven goals in the first two games in Montreal.

Senators left wing Clarke MacArthur has scored twice, and each goal has given Ottawa a 1-0 lead in the past two games. Captain Erik Karlsson has an assist in each of the three games, though right wing Bobby Ryan does not have a point in the series.

"That's what our team is," Cameron said. "We're a balanced hockey club. No disrespect to anybody on my team, but I don't know if we have a pure goal scorer in that group, so you need contributions from everybody and we got it all year. That's the reason we got in the playoffs."

Ottawa successfully killed off Montreal's six power-play opportunities Sunday, but Senators defenseman Cody Ceci is wary of putting too much pressure on a penalty-killing unit that gave up 11 shots on goal.

"We've been battling to stay out of the box," Ceci said. "We need to play a little more disciplined. They've have really strong power play and they get a lot of momentum from that. That's been the turning point in a couple of games. If we stay out of the box, we're a pretty even matchup."

(from NHL.com)

CANADIENS at SENATORS

TV: CBC, USA, TVA Sports

Montreal leads best-of-7 series 3-0

The Montreal Canadiens have an opportunity Wednesday to begin the Stanley Cup Playoffs with a series sweep in consecutive years for the first time since 1987.

Montreal leads its Eastern Conference First Round series against the Ottawa Senators 3-0 and can become the first team to advance in the 2015 playoffs with a win in Game 4 at Canadian Tire Centre.

Canadiens goalie Carey Price would like to see Montreal get off to its best start of the series Wednesday. Ottawa has scored the first goal, and led 1-0 after the first period in each of the first three games.

"We're just going to take the same approach we've taken every game," Price said after practice in Saint-Jovite, Quebec on Tuesday. "It's all about trying to get off to a good start in this next game, make a push in the first period and go from there."

The Canadiens swept the Tampa Bay Lightning in the first round in 2014, and went on to defeat the Boston Bruins in seven games in the second round before losing the Eastern Conference Final to the New York Rangers in six.

The Canadiens, though, are not looking past a proud Senators team that went 21-3-3 through the end of the regular season to qualify for the playoffs.

"We have put the first three games behind us. Yes, we're happy about the results, but we're also aware that the more we move forward, the tougher it is to win and the intensity goes up a notch every game," Montreal coach Michel Therrien said. "The games were tight, it was war in the trenches every game, but (Wednesday) is going to be the same thing."

Canadiens defenseman Nathan Beaulieu will miss the rest of the series because of an upper-body injury. Rookie defenseman Greg Pateryn will make his playoff debut Wednesday.

Ottawa coach Dave Cameron will insert center Zack Smith into the lineup in place of veteran David Legwand.

"The biggest thing is (Smith)'s going to give us a little more speed," Cameron said. "That's the big thing that went into it."

Cameron has yet to reveal who will start Game 4 in goal. Craig Anderson made 47 saves in the Senators' 2-1 overtime loss Sunday after Andrew Hammond allowed seven goals in the first two games in Montreal.

Senators left wing Clarke MacArthur has scored twice, and each goal has given Ottawa a 1-0 lead in the past two games. Captain Erik Karlsson has an assist in each of the three games, though right wing Bobby Ryan does not have a point in the series.

"That's what our team is," Cameron said. "We're a balanced hockey club. No disrespect to anybody on my team, but I don't know if we have a pure goal scorer in that group, so you need contributions from everybody and we got it all year. That's the reason we got in the playoffs."

Ottawa successfully killed off Montreal's six power-play opportunities Sunday, but Senators defenseman Cody Ceci is wary of putting too much pressure on a penalty-killing unit that gave up 11 shots on goal.

"We've been battling to stay out of the box," Ceci said. "We need to play a little more disciplined. They've have really strong power play and they get a lot of momentum from that. That's been the turning point in a couple of games. If we stay out of the box, we're a pretty even matchup."

Don I didn't know you were such a prolific writer. Nice GDT. :)

Ceci thinks we have a powerful PP.... Check him for a concussion.

check him for insanity. Gotta be a plot to make us over confident.

Sorry Habs Rule..but I just had to toss out a GDT beauty like that, possible clinching game and all. :nuts:

I am supporting you all the way buddy. I hope you do another 12 GDT. :)

As far as what to do on the stinkin PP, I don't know but I do know, something or anything different would be a good starting place. :blush:

For a coach who smartly moves player around in the lineup, why do they seem stuck in a GroundHog Day-like pattern for almost 2 year now on the PP?

(no one sad to see Wings up 2-0 in game #3 eh?)

As far as what to do on the stinkin PP, I don't know but I do know, something or anything different would be a good starting place. :blush:

For a coach who smartly moves player around in the lineup, why do they seem stuck in a GroundHog Day-like pattern for almost 2 year now on the PP?

Bring up McCarron with protected minutes. Plant him in front of the net with an extra big cup and mouth guard?

Bring up McCarron with protected minutes. Plant him in front of the net with an extra big cup and mouth guard?

I don't get why he wouldn't be here as a black ace, even if its just to be around the team.

Right on, outside the box type of thinking I like it! :hyper:

But Big Mikey wont be available for another couple weeks or months if Oshawa gets to Mem Cup?

Barring six injuries up front, this cannot happen under any circumstance. He can only be called up in an emergency situation until his junior team is out (which isn't happening anytime soon), meaning when the team is down to 11 forwards. They're at 17...it's not happening.

Unfortunately Le Genius skipped the P/P class when he went to coaching school. We all have faults, this is his most glaring one. I never cheer for any team other than Les Habitants but it is nice to see.

I thought most feared TB more than a 2nd round series vs Detroit.

That series is not over yet. I would prefer Detroit but AS YOU SAID "bring em on we will beat them all " or something like that. :)

"bring em on we will beat them all " or something like that. :)"

That's what my mom used to say when we came home from school. Fond memories. :nuts:

check him for insanity. Gotta be a plot to make us over confident.

Not trying to be Mr. Serious here but I think he meant it more in the sense that we either gained momentum from getting powerplays even if we didn't score on them and/or that the Sens lost momentum due to taking undisciplined penalties and so they had to stop taking them. I know a lot would argue that we actually lose momentum when getting a powerplay but the game is a lot different when you're on the ice playing it versus watching it on TV I suppose. I can see him truly believing what he said.

That is delusional, our P/P stinks. We would gain some momentum if we could score. As it is I think the boys are scared they might actually get a P/P.

Enough of the serious talk, let's get back to laughing about microfractures. Where the hell is Dr Rechi anyways. :) How come my spell check doesn't work? That is what I want to know.

Nice GDT Don, thanks!

I don't think the PP has been all that bad in terms of possession and chances in this series, but alas, results aren't there, so yeah Ceci is nuts ;)

Hardest game to win tonight, but Habs can get 'er done...

I totally agree with Pateryn over Gonchar, however, I doubt the 3rd pairing sees all that much icetime. This I'm afraid, will push Markov's toi to 27+ and he's looked sluggish every game, in fact this may be the worst I've ever seen him. We soooo need to sweep, to give him some r+r

to his credit has has made a change, smith pelly has been getting time on pp.

"try anything" Eller replacing one the centers, going to the net and staying there would qualify as "trying something". A net presence? Pleks may as well be sitting in the second row on half boards eating popcorn on the pp.

I totally agree with Pateryn over Gonchar, however, I doubt the 3rd pairing sees all that much icetime. This I'm afraid, will push Markov's toi to 27+ and he's looked sluggish every game, in fact this may be the worst I've ever seen him. We soooo need to sweep, to give him some r+r

Yes we do. However the time to get Markov in proper shape for play offs has passed. His best hockey has been played. (over played all season)

Pateryn over Gonch for sure. This aint gonchars style of hockey. Every bodys looking for hits on every shift in all 8 series.

Markov 15th icetime among d-men 26min/gm, Subban 23rd.

After OTs, Keith/Josi both averaging 34min/gm

Poor Plekanec getting beat in the circle bad, 40.8% so far.

Gilbert 22min/gm and best among d with a +3, so as sketchy his play is, he isn't costing team when he is out there.

Pelly has 14hits and surprisingly Petry next with12.

Not trying to be Mr. Serious here but I think he meant it more in the sense that we either gained momentum from getting powerplays even if we didn't score on them and/or that the Sens lost momentum due to taking undisciplined penalties and so they had to stop taking them. I know a lot would argue that we actually lose momentum when getting a powerplay but the game is a lot different when you're on the ice playing it versus watching it on TV I suppose. I can see him truly believing what he said.

"Remember Gerry, its not a lie if you believe it"