contemplating a fire sale

MAK

We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your players will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.

ach!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! those tubes in my neck are itching like hell!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO :hlogo: GO!

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very funny, it's so fun to see the home team geting blanked with all of the supposing key players on the ice for every PP and do nothing creative and exhiliariting. It's a show and it's time to give us some.

The only players that needs to be kept are Higgins, Latendresse, Plekanek, Komisarek, Bégin, Bouillon and Huet(in game shape) and every other one can go down the drain

I don't see the habs making the playoffs. Get shutout at home at a critical game like this :?- :?- :?-

Belfour was ok, but he was not the reason the habs lost. the habs had no pressure on him and he saw pretty much every shot he faced.

With NJ coming up, almost an automatic loss.

I think the habs have to get rid of their core. There just is no heart out there. The game against florida, they have a 2 man advantage, souray, finally is able to get shots through, but the forwards just were not willing to get their asses in Belfour's face (the way Williams did in the habs game agaisnt Carolina.

I think carboneau and the coaching staff has done a crappy job during the past 1 1/2 months. But this team has gone through way too many coaches.

they should call up koitsyn, and grabowsky. see what the kids can do b4 next year.

this team just not have heart. Does not play with the desperation, grit and consistancy that is needed. I say you have to blow-up the core veterans, HOPE to hell you can attract some good free agents and give the kids a chance to play next year.

FORWARDS:

The only untouchables in my eyes are Higgens and Latendresse (even then, if someone was going to offer an A list prospect, i'd even trade them.

Koivu - has a no trade clause, is USUALLY a good leader, but as despite him being my favorite habs after Roy in the post 70's era habs, I would move even him if i could. I just can't figure out what is wrong with him. Not only is he not producing, the usual captain K effort is not there and he is taking terrible penalities. I'm almost hoping he is just having TEMPORARY eye problems, coz his play has been totally out of character.

Kovolev - if he is healthy enough to trade, trade him. Pittsburgh probably needs some playres with playoff experience to help the kids (i think the only playoff experieince they have is Rechhi and Gonchar).

Bonk - him has been great all year. If you can sign him for 1-2 year deal at under $1.5M sign him b4 the trade deadline, otherwise get something back for him.

Samsanov - hope to hell that someone is desperate at the deadline to take him. I think getting out of the bad situation in montreal he will probably go back to being a 20-25 goal guy. so someone at the deatline may take a chance, since less of this years salary will be left against the cap.

Johnson - see Bonk, - keep him as vetern help for next year if he signs under $1.5M

Ryder - is a worthless, overated as a sniper - i don't care how many goals he has. He has blown 20 chances for every goal he has gotten.

Perozhogin - i'd like the habs give this guy a chance with a good centre. Has all of the tools to be an impact player. Has really been mis-used by the habs braintrust. But if he is a throw in for a BONA-FIDE #1 Centre or can't miss TOP 2 player, i'd trade him.

Plekanac - hang on to this guy, unless someone blows you away with an offer. Usually puts in a solid effort and plays hard.

Lapierre - like this kid, one of the few guys who regularly plays with heart. One of the few guys (other then Ryder, i'd like to see pass more).

Begin - see Plekanac.

Murrey - If you can throw him in to a deal for a good player, do it, on his own, probably wouldn't even fetch a 4th pick.

Downey - if someone wants him, let em have him. Last year he at least played hard and broght energy. This year, has been not used much, but probally more then he should have been used.

DEFENCE:

As far as the D goes, the only 2 guys the habs should keep is Komisarik and do whatever it takes to sign Markov.

Souray - has been the only bright spot this season, and he is the only guy who should bring a decent return for the future, the habs can't let him walk for nothing. I say the habs should move him and another core player for a top d-prospect or a top-center prospect. if edmonton is still in the hunt, Ryder and Souray to Edmonton could snag a good young prospect. Ryder-Souray-Kovy for Marleau is something else the habs should pursue.

Bouillon - move him. The guy is not going to be ever be a bona-fide top 4 d-man. paying close to 2 million for a 5th/6th defencemen is asanine in the cap era.

Dadenault - i think he signed with a no trade clause, if he waives it, trade him for someone who wants a d-man with cup experience.

Rivet - has to go. Has not acted like a leader when he was benched, and really has not been even passable as a d-man for the bulk of the year.

Ninnema - the guy was a total waste of over $2.5M against the cap this year. hopefully he can at least fetch a draft choice for a team looking for depth for the playoffs.

GOALIES

Move one of them this year. This is the one area the habs are actually deep in. Give Halak or Price a chance next year.

I hate to say this. I have always hoped for the best, even during the idiocy of Grundmen and Houle/Tremblay, but this years team just does not have any heart at all. they say all the right things, and hen play like crap. For all those that want to go on about how good they were for the first half, keep in mind that they have pretty much sucked 5 on 5 all year. I've watched every game this year and am embarresed to have done so. I've been a habs fan for over 30 years, but have never been more frustrated by any team then this year's bunch of worthless millionaires who if i watch much longer will give me an ulcer!!!!!

Gainey should make a trade with the wizard of oz and get some courage for the forwards, to they'll be willing to pay the price in front of the net.

Some brains, so they won't take so many bloddy stupid penalties.

Some heart for guys that have world-class talent and paychecks, but just don't seem to give a damn.

Ok, i guess that's enough post-game venting. :(:(

Edited by hab29RETIRED

So what point is this Montreal Canadiens club at this season right now?

1. Ride it out with the current squad and hope for the playoffs? Then at the trade deadline reassess the situations and make improvements or dump players if needed?

2. Realize that its time to rebuild a little and start dumping players. Maybe this team can't win with the current players and needs to rebuild with the youth thats here....ie., Higgins, Komisarek, Plekanec, Perezhogin, Lapierre and Latendresse, Kostitsyn, and Grabovski

Lets face it, Montreal had a few players who other teams may covet either right now or around the deadline.

Alex Kovalev is a proven playoff performer and elite talent (when he wants to play). Could be that winger that puts a contender over the top. He would command a decent return especially considering the first round pick Pheonix got for Nagy. Kovalev could concievably return an excellent prospect and a 1st roudn pick.

Sheldon Souray is the prize. Teams would drool to get him. Huge point producing defensman who everyone in the NHL except for Montreal fans and Media, thinks is good in his own end. He is the PP and would command an excellent return of youngsters and prospects.

Radek Bonk is an excellent two way centre with good size, who would be amust for any contending team. At the deadline he would probably command the biggest return. Not as much as Kovalev who still had a year on his contract and not as much as Souray whos a defensman.

Mike Johnson. An early season candidate for the Selke. He;s an excellent defensive player who can score 20 goals. Can either be a depth player or play 3rd or even 2nd line right wing. The right handed shot is a bonus. At $1.9 Million he's cheap.

David Aebischer. Solid backup goalie and insurance for any cup contender. Would come cheaper that Biron from Buffalo who apparently wants a prospect and 1st round pick for him. He;s cheap at $1.9 Million and has plenty of playoff experience.

Michael Ryder. I'm not an advocate of trading him, but a 30 goal scorer could bring a nice return. Hes a player who could tear it up with a team like San Jose where Marleau and Thornton could feed him pucks in the slot.

Anyways, just a thought. What do you think Montreal should do? Status Quo? Trade for help? Dump salariers for picks and prospects and go with the youth?

Although we are losing, sitting 3 points out of fourth place is not too shabby...But yes, we are losing.

We are EASILY top 10 teams in the league in terms of prospects and young skill, so i dont see rebuilding a concern for us. we need players to make a big playoff push, and once we get in the playoffs *knock on wood* we can hopefully make some serious noise.

i hope bob gets us a damn good player at this years deadline, i am sick and tired of him being so non active at the deadlines. Look at the successful teams in the league, and you will see that they are normally ACTIVE with trades and free agency.

This team does not need to become a seller, and us fans cannot give up although we are so frustrated that we could punch our computer screens in. Bob needs to bring us someone who can help, and we will be fine and this team can easily recapture 4th place.

While I agree that this core has shown itself to be ultimately a losing bunch, and therefore expendable - and I also agree with your choice of keepers, except maybe Pleks - I still believe that the problem is more the system than the talent...you've got Koivu, Kovalev, Samsonov, Ryder and Higgins - all key and, with the exception of the last, proven performers - playing well below their normal level, for weeks and weeks. The case of Sammy is especially egregious. This guy is PROVEN, for GOD'S SAKE. It should be a no-brainer to get decent totals out of him.

Meanwhile, guys like Streit, Murray and Downey get ice time - while Perezhogin, whose offensive talent remains untested at this level, rots away, on a team that lacks offence. It's idiotic.

Further, I think the cautious, minimal-forecheck system has instilled in these players that they lack the talent to compete offensively, and therefore are terrified of making mistakes and utterly lacking swagger and confidence. You'd have been better to take a 'developmental' approach, giving the players lots of ice time and some room to make honest mistakes.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

My guess is that Bob will give it another 2-3 games to make a final decision on whether to give up on the team and, therefore, be a seller (if anything) at the deadline. Knowing this team, they'll win at least two of the three games and delude everyone into thinking they have a chance, foiling our chance to take advantage of the talent we could get back for our UFAs.

If I were GM:

Alex Kovalev Traded to the Blue Jackets for Nikolai Zheredev .. throw in a pick if needed

Sheldon Souray, Mike Ryder and Perezghoin traded to Edmonton for MA Bergeron and Ryan Smyth.

Lines:

Higgins Koivu Smyth

So much leadership on this line. Smyth will park himself nicely in front of the net. Higgins will learn a whole lot playing with Koivu and Smyth, and we will basically be modelling him into our next captain. This line will be solid both offensively and defensively, as all 3 are great two way players.

Samsonov Plekanec Zheredev

Zheredev and Sammy both have so much potential. This line I feel would strive together. It would definitely be a speedy line. They would be perfect for secondary scoring. I know Zherdev is playing under his potential, but so is Kovalev, and he is alot cheaper.

Begin Bonk Johnson

Absoloute shutdown line. This line will be totally defnsive mindd and could be matched up against the opposing teams best each night. Begin is a heck of a lot better playing on the wing then he is at centre.

Streit Lapierre Latendresse

Energy line. This line will not be leaned on heavily for scoring goals, but they will be a very hard working , hard skating line. I feel that Latendresse and Lapierre have very good chemistry together. Right now, Latendresse is getting to much big ice time, he is not quite ready.

Extras- Gath Murray, Aaron Downey.

These two will only play when we desperately need an agressor. They would play in games such as against Pittsburgh when it was evident that an agressor is needed.

Defense:

Mike Komisarek Andrei Markov

MA Bergeron Craig Rivet

Boullion Dandy

extra's- Niinama, Streit (if there is an injury put Streit back on D. If the injury is short term have Murray take his place, and if it is long term call up Kostitsyn.)

I think that we need a change of faces around the dressing room. Alex Kovalev is just not getting the job done.

What do you guys think?

Edited by Bushfire

If I were GM, I wouldn't do anything too drastic this season, since I really don't think this team is a rental player player or two away from doing anything significant. I'd spend the next week seeing if I could sign Souray to a contract extension. If not, I'd package him with Abby and try to get something for them.

Now, in the offseason, I'd do the following:

-Sign Markov, first and foremost

-Sign another solid D-man, preferably one with a bit of a mean streak

-Get rid of Ryder

-Murray and Downey...gone

-I wouldn't offer Rivet a contract; he's too damn slow to play in the new NHL. Same goes for Niinima

-I'd trade Koivu if I could get anything decent for him from a team he was willing to waive his no-trade clause for

-Whichever of Drury or Briere the Sabres can't sign, I'd get them

-I'd look for another center, preferably a big guy with decent hands to center the second line

-Next season, I'd feature more of our offensively gifted young players..I'm not a big fan of the plug type players.

-Try to keep Bonk if it's reasonable price-wise

***I'd tell Carbo that if he doesn't implement a more offensive system, he's gone***

Nothing earth-shattering...more and more, I think that the people who have been saying it all along are right; Bob isn't doing much because the Habs are in a structured rebuild right now. Something tells me that barely makign the playoffs (or just missing them) is about what was expected from this bunch.

Edited by sbhatt

as treasonous as this may sound, i'd scrap this year and sell off the the 'top end' players that we have and get as many quality young kids as i could...

gone would be souray, rivet, kovalev, samsonov, murray, downey and a few others...

i'd set up a barricade around my house and i'd cancel my newspaper subscription, unplug my tv and radios and ignore the cries, wails and maddened crowds calling for my hide...

(probably send purolator to pick up my severance paycheck too... :blink: )

as treasonous as this may sound, i'd scrap this year and sell off the the 'top end' players that we have and get as many quality young kids as i could...

gone would be souray, rivet, kovalev, samsonov, murray, downey and a few others...

i'd set up a barricade around my house and i'd cancel my newspaper subscription, unplug my tv and radios and ignore the cries, wails and maddened crowds calling for my hide...

I believe this is what needs to be done as well.

It pains me and there is a part of me that thinks Gainey will be able to trade for a killer top line forward that will save us all but I think the partial rebuild makes more sense.

Trade anyone making over 2.5 million a season for the highest picks/prospects available, bar Koivu, but including Rivet and Souray and Ryder. Yes, I'm aware this means Huet, his value's high still.

Drop as low in the standings as possible, free up as much salary as possible.

Hit the market July 1 as hard and fast as possible, buy a team, train them all high up in the Rockies for an extra month, and make them watch "Band of Brothers" 100 times over Clockwork-Orange-style (eyelids held open with apparatus, with liquid applied to stop the eyes from drying out). And make Danis start the rest of the year. Or Price. One of them.

Foolproof? I think so.

Edited by TheAussiePosse

Although we are losing, sitting 3 points out of fourth place is not too shabby...But yes, we are losing.

We're also only 2pts out of 10th, and both the Isles and Leafs have 1 game in hand.

It depends on I would say the next 3-4 games. Gainey will give them a chance to prove their worth...if there's no progress..then

I think Gainey will have to dismantle the core, move out of some of the veteran players, there's no other option. Not necessarily only for prospects, there's decent players available with years on their contracts. In this scenario, the Canadiens would have Kovalev, Samsonov and Ryder all available as "non-rental" players.

It probably won't happen of course, but surely this must have taught everyone something. I seem to recall earlier in the year that I and most others really dismissed the people who were saying that Montreal sucked badly on 5 on 5, well guess what, we're seeing it now. It's highlighted because the special teams and goaltending have been inconsequential.

Tough time to be a Habs fan, I know, but at least it aint like the year nobody scored 20 goals on the team...

On a team that can't score, why get rid of Souray. We need to add offense, not give it away.

Pleks is not that great. He is a decent player but a decent month does not make him a true number 2 center. I would leave him on the third line, put Koivu on the 2nd, and get a real number 1 center. I would keep Kovalev until I see him play with a suitable center, and I would make another trade to get a top 2 winger instead of Ryder.

Rivet would have no place on my team. Either would Ninny...

i would lose Murray or Downey, we only need one of them as a press box / 4th line role player.

Trade anyone making over 2.5 million a season for the highest picks/prospects available, bar Koivu, but including Rivet and Souray and Ryder. Yes, I'm aware this means Huet, his value's high still.

Drop as low in the standings as possible, free up as much salary as possible.

Hit the market July 1 as hard and fast as possible, buy a team, train them all high up in the Rockies for an extra month, and make them watch "Band of Brothers" 100 times over Clockwork-Orange-style (eyelids held open with apparatus, with liquid applied to stop the eyes from drying out). And make Danis start the rest of the year. Or Price. One of them.

Foolproof? I think so.

haha....Thanks for the laugh Aussie, that was good.

For the record, can we PLEASE stop mentioning trading Koivu. The lovechild of Mark Messier and Alexander the Great couldnt lead this team any better right now with all its problems. Granted he has been playing terrible. But we all know he is not being traded, nor would most of us want him to....so stop it

Have to say I'm with you on this one.... maybe not quite as dramatically?

However I do hope the Canadiens try to keep Kovalev - they need a few veterans?

I have a bomb shelter in the backyard that we can hide in!

Anyways I'm going fishing come playoff time again :rolleyes::lol:

So what point is this Montreal Canadiens club at this season right now?

1. Ride it out with the current squad and hope for the playoffs? Then at the trade deadline reassess the situations and make improvements or dump players if needed?

2. Realize that its time to rebuild a little and start dumping players. Maybe this team can't win with the current players and needs to rebuild with the youth thats here....ie., Higgins, Komisarek, Plekanec, Perezhogin, Lapierre and Latendresse, Kostitsyn, and Grabovski

Lets face it, Montreal had a few players who other teams may covet either right now or around the deadline.

Alex Kovalev is a proven playoff performer and elite talent (when he wants to play). Could be that winger that puts a contender over the top. He would command a decent return especially considering the first round pick Pheonix got for Nagy. Kovalev could concievably return an excellent prospect and a 1st roudn pick.

Sheldon Souray is the prize. Teams would drool to get him. Huge point producing defensman who everyone in the NHL except for Montreal fans and Media, thinks is good in his own end. He is the PP and would command an excellent return of youngsters and prospects.

Radek Bonk is an excellent two way centre with good size, who would be amust for any contending team. At the deadline he would probably command the biggest return. Not as much as Kovalev who still had a year on his contract and not as much as Souray whos a defensman.

Mike Johnson. An early season candidate for the Selke. He;s an excellent defensive player who can score 20 goals. Can either be a depth player or play 3rd or even 2nd line right wing. The right handed shot is a bonus. At $1.9 Million he's cheap.

David Aebischer. Solid backup goalie and insurance for any cup contender. Would come cheaper that Biron from Buffalo who apparently wants a prospect and 1st round pick for him. He;s cheap at $1.9 Million and has plenty of playoff experience.

Michael Ryder. I'm not an advocate of trading him, but a 30 goal scorer could bring a nice return. Hes a player who could tear it up with a team like San Jose where Marleau and Thornton could feed him pucks in the slot.

Anyways, just a thought. What do you think Montreal should do? Status Quo? Trade for help? Dump salariers for picks and prospects and go with the youth?

I see us at phase 2 - time to go with some of the youth and ride out the storm....

And I'm a long time die-hard :hlogo: fan.

Missing the playoffs might hurt a bit, but I would prefer that to mediocrity year in and year out. And that's something we already are a witness to for too long now?

However, anyone who thinks Gainey is about to hold a fire sale, or make any rash moves hasn't been very astute. That would be totally out of character for him. He is deliberate and methodical, and possibly patient to a fault in some cases.

:hlogo: :hockey: :hlogo: :clap:

Edited by beliveau1

Right now I'd settle for dumping Kovalev and Souray and getting a couple of very good NHL ready prospects and high draft picks. It'd free up salary cap room, and who's to say the the prospects/young players who came this way wouldn't put forth a better effort than a few of the players on this club? As well as the shock factor of the trades might snap some of these guys out of the funk they are in

everyone is talking about getting prospects etc. we have lots of prospects. we just don't bring them up. what does kosty have to do score a hat trick every game before they give him a chance. we have good young prospects but the trouble is our veteran core have lost interest. We need to replace them with good solid hardworking players who want to win. More like Begin with some offence. Lets take a look at hamilton for some call ups. This team definitely needs a shake up and getting rid of some the core would be a good start. Kovalev Koivu Samsonov Ryder are not getting it done. Someone else mentioned coaching well, we are on our 4th or 5th coach with this group and nobody has been able to motivate them for long. Except mabe for bob last year